The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
MacQuigley

The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

Ive still not collected the Chevy yet and hopefully Im not tempting fate starting this thread but here goes.

Before I start, I cant take credit for the title. Another member here is responsible for that but if the shoe fits...

So thanks Grizz.

Anyway, after many years working on old British cars I finally decided to take the plunge and buy some American steel.

In all honesty, watching too many episodes of Fast n Loud has a lot to do with it and that wasn't helped as my youngest son who has also been watching started to show an interest so I thought, that's the excuse I needed. The wife may say no to me but not to him.

So after a few months "testing the water" I decided on a 1962 C10 Short bed.

Its in need of a lot of TLC and probably some serious cutting and welding but all in it is what I was wanting a project with potential and the bonus its already fitted with a small block.

Wont be doing much to it until I finish another project but that's almost complete now but I will be spending time doing research and ordering parts. Ive a lot to learn about these trucks so be sure of loads of silly questions to come.
Attached Images

MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
Ta2Don

Re: The Super Duper Haggis Hauler

and aboard!!!

Love the title… A good friend of mine here is of Scottish descent and recently received a shipment of Haggis...

The truck looks like a great starting point…
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
MacQuigley

Well I cant take credit for the title but it seemed to fit! And I do like haggis from time to time.

Just finalised arrangements to go collect the truck on Saturday. Cant wait to get hold of it and make a start.

Been trying to put a initial list of what needs doing. At the moment Ive got this together (not in any order of importance):-

New bed needed
Replace fuel tank with original or move bed mounted tank so filler isn't out the bed
Repair both door skins (or replace both door skins)
Re-upholster interior
Fix butchered dash and instrument panel
Renew window seals and door rubbers
Fix or replace front wings (fenders)
Replace bonnet (hood) for original
Correctly fit engine and gearbox
Rebuild engine - maybe up the output a bit
Paint - everything!
Replace tailgate
Lower 1"-2"
Disc brakes on front
Coil springs on front - if possible
Repair any other body work (like one small hole in floor)
Strip, paint, service/repair all running gear and chassis

That's just from what Ive seen already. I know from experience that there will be a lot more to do that that but I wont know just how much until I get it home and start to look at it in detail.

So by way of a first question, what is the best way to up-rate the front suspension to coils? Can I use the parts as originally fitted or do I need a new front clip and if so whats the best option? I guess if I replace the front clip I wont have to then also fit disc's as a separate modification. So in the long term that may be the better option.

So much to think of and to learn!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Ta2Don

Rian is a madman in the best sense of the word...
Looking forward to him and Martin being here in a handful of weeks.

Looks like a comprehensive list to begin with…
Best bet on the front suspension question is to search the FAQ's thread… I know that the Torsion bar set-up can be manipulated, but the changeover is beyond my scope of knowledge...

Here's a good start…
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366850

Cheers!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
ibrown50

from (just) south of the border, looking forward to watching your progress
Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
MacQuigley

Hi Ian, Had a wee look at your truck and its very similar to what I hope to end up with. Would it be OK to pop down sometime if I got stuck or needed something to reference? Bill
Old 09-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
ibrown50

The kettles always on how far north are you?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrown50 View Post
The kettles always on how far north are you?
Plus another kettle on down South as well. For you or anyone else needing a chat, tea and biccies.

Sorry I played you into the Haggis Hauler title, just could not resist.

Hope it is as good as you expect when you open the door.

And hope you find a replacement hood soon. Especially of you get lucky and find someone in the UK who wants to trade you.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
MacQuigley

Im in Hamilton Ian, just south of Glasgow. Get south often, in fact heading to Warrington early tomorrow. Don't get to your side of the country often but your not that far away.

And as for the title Rian, that was too good to pass up on.

Likewise guy's, you find yourself in the frozen north, come say hello. Tea and shortbread always available . Haggis upon request!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #10
MacQuigley

Picked up the truck this morning and now have it home.

As I expected its worse than I thought but also better ie body is a bit worse than I expected but the chassis better than I thought.

Not going to do much at present but I want to do a little today.

Will post some pics later.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #11
Cenla 64 Chevy

Found it ironic this morning when I found your thread...just had a few Belhaven "Wee Heavy's" last night imported from Scotland...

Nice looking truck...can't wait to see how it comes out. I just started my project as well but it's going to be a slow build...I'll move forward each time I have some spare cash when the work calls for cash...
Cenla 64 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #12
MacQuigley

Before I post any of the other pics I took after getting the truck home today, does anyone else think this may be a bullet hole?
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Ta2Don

Most definitely!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
MacQuigley

I wonder where the head ended up! Maybe that's why the gas tank was moved and the seats replaced!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 AM   #15
MacQuigley

So as mentioned above I got the truck home on Saturday.

On the pick up and about to head for home.

Now I wont be in a position to make a start on it for a bit yet, though some things will be getting done soon like getting the engine and gearbox out to make it easier to move (plus my dad has offered to rebuild the engine for me which is not a bad idea as it gives him something to do and saves me some time).

Anyway, now Ive had a good look over it there is nothing that really worries me about it.

The chassis is solid throughout. There is barely even any surface rust on it.

But the hood is a mess. The scoop hits the windshield and as a result the inner part has separated from the outer part. I suppose I could repair it but Id rather see if I can find a replacement, as hard as that is going to be.

Doors have been filled over the years - badly. So for the $80 or so it costs I think I'll get two door skins and fit them.

Obviously I need a new bed in the back and some bed supports (not sure if these are available but if not I'll make something).

Front fenders are a bit tired. Think I'll replace these - they are cheep enough.

Chrome work is OK in places and poor in other places. I don't think I'll replace that this time round. I'll probably knock out the dents and fill where necessary then paint them until I can afford to replace them - need to spend my funds on the important parts first.

The cab does have a couple of holes in on each rear bottom corner but nothing that cant be fixed.

In many ways its the inside that's the worst. The dash has been butchered and will need some work. The seats are OK, but they have just been bolted straight to the floor and are way too low. Not that its a big job to build a frame under them. The instrument cluster has also been butchered. There is a sat nav of sorts sitting on the passenger seat that was used as a speedo I think, though there is a dial speedo in the glove box. I'll need to have a look at whats available or make something up. The chrome inside is poor, dented and rusty. Id paint it all but my wife likes it(!!!) so I don't know what I'll do there yet. The doors have also been cut for speakers. Think they used a tin opener to do it! So that will need fixed.

Anyway that's it for now. Need to start making up a parts list soon!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
Grizz1963

Well, your attitude is perfect.

You have a supportive wife, they are massively important in these builds, I know mine is.

I think you are right, there are loads of jobs to do, but they are all do-able.

I wonder of a later dash would go into your cab, saying that, I suspect not with the curved front screen.
I also wonder about the speedo cluster.... Interchangeability?

You may get lucky that someone has that centre section or a whole dash panel to sell you in the USA.

I cannot offer you much more than a shoulder to cry on, but shout if you need me.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #17
MacQuigley

When it comes to shoulder to cry on time I'll probably just reach for a bottle of Scotland's national drink (and this time I don't mean Iron Bru!)

That damaged centre section is available as a repair panel, so Im comfortable that I can cut it out and weld in a new bit. As it happens I have a spare set of seats from a 95 Discovery which are all electric. I may put a switch plate over the ashtray opening to allow me to operate the seats.

Quite a long way from there mind you! Going to start putting a list of parts together this week. Need to try and not let it get out of hand but I don't hold out much hope of that!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #18
MacQuigley

I did make a bit of a start on Saturday thought. Took the plate off the tailgate. Not only can I now see the Chevy name but its half the weight!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:41 AM   #19
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Wow that center of the dash is sure hacked up. It's a good candidate for the patch panel. It's too bad your truck came with one of those crappy fiberglass hoods. That's going to be a bit of a challenge/cost to get a original steel hood over there to Scotland.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #20
ibrown50

Bill, the engine mounts comprise of two pieces, there is a stamped steel frame mount which bolts between the cross member and the frame rail (it's the "swan neck" thing in the first picture) and then the rubber mount which has three bolts onto the engine and one onto the frame mount.

Name:  perch.jpg
Views: 1804
Size:  48.8 KB

Name:  Engine in1.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  58.9 KB

You should be able to get the frame mounts off this forum and the rubbers from USAutomotive (part number below) for about a tenner each.

Name:  IMG_2132.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  43.9 KB
Old 10-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #21
MacQuigley

Cheers Ian. I'll add those bits to my list.

Hopefully I will update the project tomorrow. Suffice it to say there were no mounts when I took the engine out.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #22
MacQuigley

I know Id said I wasn’t going to do much to the truck until Id finish my other project ie a 1962 Morris Minor, but I had a weeks holiday last week and as the weather was good (Unusually for that time or year in Scotland – or for just about anytime of year for that mater) I thought it better to be working out on the drive rather than in the garage.
Being really keen to find out which small block was fitted it was out with the engine first.
It wasn’t a big job to be honest, helped by the fact that as it turned out the engine had never been fitted – at all! The only thing holding it in place as a short length or rope and the fact the headers had been jammed in.
Some attempts had been made to weld on mounts but there were, shall we say, not up it to much!

(you can almost just about see the welds but only just)
Anyway, after a couple of hours the engine was out and I could finally identify it. The number in front of the right hand head had, Im assuming, been machined off at some point si I had to resort to the block casting number. Unfortunately according to the books that pointed in the direction of either a 302, 327 or 350, so I had to check the head castings. The head castings indicate a 350 and as both were in the right time frame Im assuming for now it’s a 350 that was almost fitted.

I did have to remove the headers to get it out but it almost cleared.
As a side issue these are the middle seat mounts! You can see what Im up against

More to come soon.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Ta2Don

Between the motor mounts and the seat mounts er, sort of, the PO sure had no pride in workmanship... My truck had some similar issues...

I spent 5 years in the Azores and had the pleasure of owning a 54 Morris Minor... Would love to check out your 62... Do you have pics on your photobucket?
Old 10-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #24
MacQuigley

Ive very little in the way of pics on Photobucket of the Moggie Don. In honesty digital cameras had barely been invented when I started it so everything is on prints. That said I should have better recorded what Ive been doing in the last 2 or 3 months since deciding to finish it so I can get a truck. I will take a few pics when I get a chance and let you see them.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #25
MacQuigley

So flushed with success in getting the engine out I decide to make a start on the bed (but had to wait until Thursday after my son’s 16th).

Tailgate came off easy enough and the re was bugger all left of the bed, so I started to remove the sides.

First unexpected issue was the fact the sides are both bolted and welded – whats that all about! Anyway after consulting the forum I cut the welds off and removed the drivers side.

Actually, I took that side wing off first and that was when I realised that the fibre glass wing was cracked (more on that later)

So with one side off it was fairly straight forward tacking the other side off, though an old screw that had been put through the rear of the passenger side did cause a bit of a problem.

So with the sides and front off I removed the plastic tank, which I found was cracking, and the supports for it – if anyone can tell me what the nails in the rear tank support are for they can have a prize.

Once I drained the tank support I was surprise to find a load of old bolts in the bottom. How the plastic tank hadn’t punctured is beyond me – unless of course it had never been filled and judging by the state of the engine mounts that’s most probable.

Anyway after that it was a case of removing the old bed rails and tidying things up a bit for now.

There are some weird holes in the chassis and some strange things done with the like of the brake pipes, but all in all its in good nick – so far!