The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2017, 11:18 PM   #476
MARTINSR

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I ended up fine tuning the bend the old way in the vice with two pieces of angle iron and a hammer and spoon.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #477
evilokc

after being down for a year I have been driving my truck for about a week. tonight some one backed into it. yep. I was waiting for a parking space when an escalade backed out into me. fenders pushed in and creased in the front and pushed out of shape over the wheel well. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm shocked. I'm depressed. I'm pissed.
Attached Images

evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #478
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
after being down for a year I have been driving my truck for about a week. tonight some one backed into it. yep. I was waiting for a parking space when an escalade backed out into me. fenders pushed in and creased in the front and pushed out of shape over the wheel well. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm depressed. I'm pissed. I'm shocked. I'm depressed. I'm pissed.
You've GOT to be kidding!? I feel for you. Weren't we just talking about it starting and running for the first time like 2 pages ago?

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 PM   #479
oldman3

Quote:
Sorry to hear this, but I know the feeling...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:21 AM   #480
MARTINSR

I got the patch area cleaned up and primed the patch and clamped it all in there ready to weld.

I have to tell you those wheels from Carborundum they are NOT cheap but damn they work good! I mean REAL GOOD! And not showing hardly any wear.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...yABEgLedvD_BwE

Brian
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #481
MARTINSR

Quote:
Are they insured? It sounds like it was their fault, I don't know about where you are but you can get estimates and then "cash out" and fix it yourself.

Brian

Old 10-07-2017, 10:26 AM   #482
evilokc

I'm in Oklahoma. the officer said that her insurance was active. I called my insurance and gave them all of the chicks information. I'm hoping they do the work for me. its going to need a replacement fender. this one cant be fixed. it sucks too because its the original fender. I'm going to keep working on the truck as if the accident didn't happen for now. I don't want this to stop my progress even though its killing me. today I'm going to finalize my throttle pedal angle. it was sitting a little high so to push it I had to use the ball of my foot while my foo rested on its heel. I rotated the pedal down on the splines last night and it feels great on the foot. I have to make sure it still has wot in that position and then lock it down with the set screw. I'm also going to check my ground wires on the turn signals. I'm sure there is one that's loose.

Last edited by evilokc; 10-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 01:25 PM   #483
MARTINSR

Yes it can be fixed, don't ever think something can't be fixed. That is a big general dent and it could be fixed. Does it make sense to fix it, that is up to you. But it can be fixed.

Brian

Old 10-07-2017, 02:48 PM   #484
evilokc

yes i agree. there are very few things that cant be fixed if time and money are no object. i will probably shop for a nice original fender. no repops.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #485
MARTINSR

Quote:
yes i agree. there are very few things that cant be fixed if time and money are no object. i will probably shop for a nice original fender. no repops.
Oh hell yeah, FORGET the reproductions making one fit is basically the same as repairing that one!

Brian

Old 10-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #486
evilokc

I will shop for an original. I pulled the turn signals out yesterday to check all the grounds and as soon as I got them out we had some surprise visitors for 3 hours and I got nothing done. I will attempt again today.i did get the throttle pedal positioned and locked down for good. so something got done.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #487
evilokc

I was able to get out and play with the signals. I found a loose ground and tightened it up. I installed a 120db air horn while I had everything pulled apart. the horn is LOUD. I took the truck out and the stupid signals started doing the same thing again. I will look back into that in a couple of days. I'm going to look into going with larger jets in the carb as well.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #488
MARTINSR

Glad to see you were able to get out, I am feeling funky as hell and hope to get to work so I stayed in all day today. What are the blinkers doing?

Brian

Old 10-09-2017, 08:50 AM   #489
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Sorry about the accident but if she was insured maybe you can come out OK, and maybe even a little ahead.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:36 PM   #490
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
You've GOT to be kidding!? I feel for you. Weren't we just talking about it starting and running for the first time like 2 pages ago?
yes I was. I just got it running and driving about 2 week ago
Old 10-09-2017, 04:49 PM   #491
dsraven

try to keep that fender is you can. it is definately fixable. better than a new one prolly. haha
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #492
gigamanx

Quote:
installed my longer carb studs and the new throttle bracket today. started it up and let it run up to temp. love to hear it run.

Hey man, where does your kickdown cable attach on this bracket? I like the look of it and there seem to be a few companies online selling them for under $30. I see the throttle attachment on top, but the kits don't show a spot underneath for the kickdown.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-415...%257Ciid%253A1

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #493
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Hey man, where does your kickdown cable attach on this bracket? I like the look of it and there seem to be a few companies online selling them for under $30. I see the throttle attachment on top, but the kits don't show a spot underneath for the kickdown.

For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-415...%257Ciid%253A1
on the top rear you can see the hole for the throttle cable. if you look on the bottom of the bracket right below that throttle cable mount you can see the bracket for the kickdown cable. so rear of bracket on underside.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #494
Black_Sheep

I finished prepping the dash again because a herd of big black gnats decided to do the backstroke in my clear coat. Will give it another try this weekend. Also stopped at the paint store for sealer and a pint of basecoat for the main interior color, '63 Chevrolet Laurel Green...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #495
evilokc

very annoying night guys. I went on the quick fuel site and read up on what they call correct carb tuning. they suggest warning up the motor,lowering the idle with the idle screw until its just about to stall, bottoming out the 4 mixture screws and turning them out 1&1/2 turns and hook up a vacuum gauge to the manifold port. then you watch the vacuum when you turn the mixture screws out 1/4 turn. if the vacuum increases you repeat until you hit the max vacuum. repeat that on all 4 corners. you have to use the idle screw to keep the idle at the same rpm as you mess with the mixture screw. so I did all that and hooked up my vacuum gauge and boom...it didn't work. the vacuum gauge was given to me years ago and I have never used it. so my idle is so low now that the motor runs but is unhappy. I will buy a new gauge tomorrow and maybe an optical tach to finally get into the meat of tuning. then I can move onto the main jets.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:05 AM   #496
Black_Sheep

I had to let the clear dry and sand the bugs out. I reshot the lower dash today with straight white and a few coats of clear. No metal flake this time around, no bugs either...

Planning to get the green laid down tomorrow.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 PM   #497
evilokc

set the mixture and idle using the method suggest by quick fuel. 1) warm up motor 2) in hook choke and install vacuum gauge on constant manifold vacuum source. 3) bottom out all 4 mixture screws and turn out 1&1/2. 4) note vacuum reading and turn mixture screw out 1/4 turn and see if it increases or decreases vacuum. 5) continue this until the highest vacuum reading is reached and then repeat for the other 3 corners until the highest total manifold vacuum is reached. the idle will be slightly elevated by getting the mixture right. tuning the mixture with a vacuum gauge is totally the way to go. I was able to see exactly how each turn of the mixture screw affected the motor. when I started I was at 14hg of mercury and once I had finished the mixture I was at 21hg of mercury. that's a big improvement. the motor smoothed out and the fumes are good too. I reset the idle using an optical tachometer. when I drove the truck I could feel the improvement overall. it also allowed me to feel the short comings. the surging at constant speed tells me that my jets are on the small side. the tip in stumble is still present but was a little improved with the proper mixture. I'm going to call the quick fuel help line tomorrow and see what they suggest for the stumble and main jet size for my application. I'm closer. I found out that you can also use a vacuum gauge to check your main jets too. when the time comes I will be doin that. I may even use the vacuum gauge to tweak my timing.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:06 PM   #498
Black_Sheep

Finally got some color on the jambs and inside the cab. After spraying the green I unmasked the lower dash and gave everything a few rounds of clear.

The color does not photograph well under fluorescent lights, I can't wait to see it in natural light.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:43 PM   #499
evilokc

spoke with holley tech today to try and figure out my tip in stumble. they said my squirter is too small. story of my life. I'm ordering a 35 squirter.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #500
MARTINSR

Quote:
spoke with holley tech today to try and figure out my tip in stumble. they said my squirter is too small. story of my life. I'm ordering a 35 squirter.
LOL, nothing can work as well as calling the tech line.

Brian