The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2020, 12:43 PM   #1
NeoJuice

Rear brake line and exhaust

I'm preparing for inspection and I was reading through the inspection manual and I found one item that I probably might fail.

See the attached image highlighted in red.

Now if you see my rear brake line running to my rear passenger side tire runs along the upper shock mount brace. When the exhaust shop did the exhaust I noticed it was a little close but now realizing it might fail. Can I get away with a heat shield product around that 1-2 foot section so I dont have to re-do the brake line. There are many different kinds on the market from foil wraps with steel locking ties to metal shields and sleeves. At this time I'm not sure if I would wrap the exhaust pipe or wrap the upper shock tower brace.

Example: https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/heatshield-armor

Thoughts? It took me a long time to get all my brake issues resolved and would hate to have to re-do the line.
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Rear brake line and exhaust

does look close..even without a inspection I wouldn't want it that close to the hot exhaust...a metal/aluminum plate between the two may get you passing..but you could ask your inspector before you show up and see what they say
do you have enough flex in the line to move it to the topside of the shock cross member ?

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
NeoJuice

Ill have to take a closer look at it on the weekend to see if I have enough line to move it to the top of the shock cross member.

I just thought I would post up something to get peoples thoughts. If I dont, a wrap type heat shield should do the trick. I cant imagine being that far back it would be as hot as up by the manifold.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
mr48chev

I'm thinking that a stainless or aluminum heat shield that was fastened to the crossmmber meets the letter of the rule but if you have room to move the line up higher on the crossmember without hassles that may be the best idea.

I think I would want shields that allowed air flow front to rear rather than a 90 bent and fastened to the crossmember though. Possibly a modified version of the stock AD heat shield that goes above the exhaust over the hump that in some form is on all wood bed Chevy trucks/

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
NeoJuice

Thanks mr48chev,

Do you have a picture of the shield your talking about?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
Tempest67

hopefully you can find some 'slack' in the line to bend it up along that cross member, if not, just an 'arch' where is passes by the exhaust.

also, if you don't think a tailpipe gets very hot, try touching it after the engine has warmed up. .. I learned that the hard way, and have never forgotten
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
NeoJuice

Tempest67,

Thanks for the heads up, I wont be touching the tailpipe after the truck has warmed up.

I'll take a closer look at it on the weekend. I'm hoping I left enough slack in the line to move it out of the way. If not, in the meantime I'm looking at something like this.

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/e...eat-shield-kit
Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
dsraven

how about just dropping the exhaust some, install an aluminum shield shaped like a piece of evestrough channel. or move the line and then do the same.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
NeoJuice

I got down on my creeper last night and I believe there might be enough slack to move to to the top of the cross member. I'll post updated picture after I make the move.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
_Ogre

a small piece of metal and a couple of zip screws will suffice for a heat shield
and give you piece of mind

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #11
mr48chev

This is the stock 47/72 Chevy tail pipe heat shield that fastens to the bottom side of the wood bed floor right over the tailpipe where it goes over the rear axle.

Obviously this isn't going to work as is but It might give you an idea for fabbing some simple heat shields to fit between the pipe and the brake line with notch to clear brake line and cross bar. 214Name:  47 72 tailpipe heat shield.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  13.9 KB

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #12
mr48chev

Something like this out of light metal was what I was thinking about if you can't move the line easily.

And no I am not all that good at drawing anymore especially without a straight edge to make straight lines lol.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #13
cmayna

Just curious, what year truck and what size motor are you working with?
cmayna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #14
NeoJuice

cmayna its a 1952 Chevy pickup with SBC 350.

Over the weekend I was able to get in some truck time. I luckily I left enough slack in the line I was able to move it on top of the cross member and secure it down with hardware clips. I had to undo the top shock bolts but that was no big deal.

I dont think this should be an inspection problem now. See attached pics.

Regards,
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #15
FAKKY

well Im confused ......

1) Wouldnt 99% of Antique trucks older than 25 years be exempt from inspection ? I lvie in FL so we dont have inspections anyway.

2) Would 99% of v8 trucks have their fuel lines within 2 inches from an exhaust. I mean the exhuast runs down basically both frame rails ..... and most fuel lines are tied to the frame rails.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #16
Tempest67

Nice work, looks good.
Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #17
Johns327

Your pretty close to that bed wood. You might want to simple wrap your exhaust through the hump. You only need to do half the pipe. Mine was very close so I wrapped the pipe with some DEI over the top. I’ve installed my bed and drove the truck for over an hour used one a infrared temp sensors and the bed was not any hotter where the pipe came close than any other spot on the bed. I also have a battery under the passenger side of the cab. I used the same stuff where my pipes passed by the box to keep from boiling the battery. The stuff works very well deflecting the heat.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #18
NeoJuice

Johns327,

Now that the brake line is moved you make a good point. I'll maybe put some on the hump close to the bed floor. What stuff did you use? DEI?

Thanks,
Old 06-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #19
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
Your pretty close to that bed wood. You might want to simple wrap your exhaust through the hump. You only need to do half the pipe. Mine was very close so I wrapped the pipe with some DEI over the top. I’ve installed my bed and drove the truck for over an hour used one a infrared temp sensors and the bed was not any hotter where the pipe came close than any other spot on the bed. I also have a battery under the passenger side of the cab. I used the same stuff where my pipes passed by the box to keep from boiling the battery. The stuff works very well deflecting the heat.
Does your exhaust terminate like it shows in pic? If so you may want to invest in earmuffs.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #20
1project2many

I also agree that the exhaust is close to the bed wood. The heat generated will depend on a number of factors. Exhaust on the old sixes was generally cooler due to lower compression and richer engine operation. A later EFI equipped engine can run hotter and if you have installed cats the temp can easily top 1000 degrees where the exhaust goes over the axle. I've seen short bus floors, which are made of plywood above a sheet of steel, come in smoking after a run full of kids.

Shields plus more physical distance are definitely good ideas imo.

Last edited by 1project2many; 06-04-2020 at 04:05 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #21
vintovka

My 84 K10 step side donor chassis had factory shields in 2 places under the wood bed. If this was good enough for GM is should be good enough for the Canadian Gestapo.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #22
Johns327

Vintovka, thanks for your concern for my hearing but my regular exhaust runs to the back of the truck and is very pleasant in the cab. But, if you look right before my muffler you will see that I have a 3” open header outlet that I can control from the cab. It’s great when the bump, bump, bump stereotypes pull up beside me.

I used DEI wrap, it’s metal on one side and fiber on the other with stainless tie wraps holding it on.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #23
vintovka

Ok, looks good. Couldn't see the rear exhaust and thought they were down dumps like i USED to have. Most miserable set up i ever had. Went to rear exhaust and happy ever since.