The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #1
Raptor0206

The 1966 c10 Rebuild

Hey guys this is my first post on here and i wish it was a better one that's for sure! Anyways I just got my hands on the new to me project Tuesday after a trip to the police station, 4 different cops and 2 different tow trucks. Here's a little back story. 5 years ago my girlfriend's dad "gave away" his 1966 C10 to a "family friend" because he wanted someone that was into cars/trucks to enjoy it because he was a owner operator and didn't get much time to enjoy the truck. He had it in non-op since 04. Well 2 weeks after given the guy the truck her dad went to his house to give him the title, the guy had moved. He called no answer, he called his mom and told her to have him call for the title. Never did. He kept on calling for about a month. Then every year when the non-op paper work would show up. Her dad kept paying the fees because well it was still his at this point. Now fast forward to this year, we got some news from someone that the truck had been stripped. But no one could tell us where it was. We then went ahead and did a few internet searches and found his new address. From the birds eye view we can see a white truck in the driveway but not the blue 66. We then called and texted him and he pretty much told us to go jump off a cliff. We told him we just want the truck back and would pay for any work that has been done ect. He never responded. Well this week we made a trip down to California and drove by the house and seen the truck in a tent in the driveway, primered missing the front grill and piles of crap on the hood. So we went down to the local Police department and talked with them about it. They told us we had all legal right to get the truck and told us to make contact at the house, if there was a problem call us and we will come out. We went by the person inside refused to answer the door. So we called them up and had a officer make contact. The wife said as soon as he gets home he will push the truck out onto the street and they can have it. She requested at we depart the area for about 5 hours until it gets on the street. We did. Came back to find the truck on jack stands and nothing left. We called the police back to have them come by to talk about the wheels and parts. He went to the house and asked them for the parts. They said they don't have anything, what you see is what you get. We then offered to pay cash for the parts so we could at least get it out of there.....nothing. So we called around and the first 5 tow company's we called said sorry but we are not going to mess up our truck beds. Then we found one that said they will do it but 100 a hour plus miles but would be a hour and a half. So we had them come anyways because at this point the cops said they would have to impound it if its not moved stat! We called another tow company and told them about it and they said they would have someone there in 30. The cop said that he doesn't have time to wait around and left. We then see a 70's c10 truck down the street park so we go down there to see if he possibly had wheels or knows someone that does but no luck. On the way back we see the "family friend" in the front yard walking back into the house flicking us off. At that point I didn't notice it but he came out and kicked the passenger side door in. So some time goes by and the first tow company shows up and gets to looking at the truck and the dude comes out of the house threatening the tow truck driver so he said screw this crap im out and takes off. Then the dude runs down the street at my truck with my girlfriend in it and starts to threaten her and her dad. Comes back up the street at me but wont come anywhere near me running his mouth and goes back in the house. Well as soon as my girlfriend seen him coming to the truck she called the cops again. Cops came out and as soon as they get there the other tow truck company comes. Hes looking at it and was like yeah we can do it but its gonna suck. At this point I didn't care I just want the truck and to leave we fight this thing to get it on the truck. At the same time his wife comes out of the house runs up to the cop car and says I threatened to kill her and her family. I laughed it off and kept trying to get the truck on the tow truck. Then the cop calls me over to the cop car and asked me about it. I told him I haven't said crap to the people I don't even know these people I'm just trying to get this out of here. He takes my ID and says well I have to note it. Whatever. After some time we get this truck on the flat bed and we were gone. Get it home and unloaded. Towed it 5 miles and the tow came out to $220.00.
Well if your still reading here is what I got my self into
Before:

The interior was just redone with new carpet, seat.

And here is how we got it:

This is where you can see the door is fine. I took these pictures right when we got there to find the wheels and tires gone...well along with the rest of the damn truck

This is when we got it home and I noticed the shoe print

At least the engine is still in it

And sadly the rest.....

Heres a better shot of the door

Both bed sides are dented in like door in the back

So this truck is gonna be put back together and given back to my girlfriends dad as a retirement gift. He had to retire because in cali they passed a new smog law and outlawed his truck for being too old.

IF ANYONE HAS PARTS TO GET THIS BACK TOGETHER LET ME KNOW WE ARE IN VEGAS SO WE CAN HIT CALI OR AZ EASY
Thanks for looking I will update progress on it from time to time
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #2
1963c-10

Re: The 1966 c10 Rebuild

Welcome to the forum.

Man, what a story. Glad you got it back at least. The parts that are missing can be replaced and you shouldn't have much issue finding them in the location your at. Scour the classifieds here and the local craigslist. Check the local yards and there is a regional forum here also on the main page.

Keep us updated with pics and progress too.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:53 PM   #3
Raptor0206

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Man, what a story. Glad you got it back at least. The parts that are missing can be replaced and you shouldn't have much issue finding them in the location your at. Scour the classifieds here and the local craigslist. Check the local yards and there is a regional forum here also on the main page.

Keep us updated with pics and progress too.
thank you. I will. I have found a few doors and possibly a cab to pick parts off of so far.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #4
step65

Glad to see you got the truck back. There is a guy in Chula Vista down by San Diego that has a lot of parts for our trucks. I think there is someone in Hesperia as well. Craigslist is usually where you see them. Looks like you got a pretty solid truck to start with.
step65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
1963c-10

Looks like part of the cluster in the engine bay also.

Be sure the check the main wiring coming off the firewall by the master cylinder. Looks pretty roached.

Other than the dents the body looks pretty good. Don't see much rust.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 06-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
Raptor0206

Quote:
Looks like part of the cluster in the engine bay also.

Be sure the check the main wiring coming off the firewall by the master cylinder. Looks pretty roached.

Other than the dents the body looks pretty good don't see much rust.
Yeah i noticed that. It is still attached by the speedo cable for whatever reason.
I didn't really get a good chance to look at much I was busy trying to track down wheels and tires but gave up and got dollys. Then had to come back to vegas.
I am talking to someone about picking up a cab with doors that have a few parts I need. Then I found a bed but i might just fix the big ass dents in the rear. I have also found a 77 c10 being parted out so i hit him up about the front suspension clip and rims and tires so I can get it rolling.
I really want to find a bench or buckets for it so I can at least move it around once I get it running, which shouldn't take much.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
1963c-10

You'll get it back up and going. The doors look complete minus the glass and vents. Too bad be mucked up the steering shaft also....on the bright side you have an extra set of vice grips. It really eludes me some of the stuff some people do.

Bench seat should be pretty easy to locate. The 67-72s are nice donars also....but they don't flip forward after 68. They are direct bolt ins though.
1964 Short bed trailer
Old 06-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
Raptor0206

Quote:
You'll get it back up and going. The doors look complete minus the glass and vents. Too bad be mucked up the steering shaft also....on the bright side you have an extra set of vice grips. It really eludes me some of the stuff some people do.

Bench seat should be pretty easy to locate. The 67-72s are nice donars also....but they don't flip forward after 68. They are direct bolt ins though.

Yeah with that shaft I might just tap it to a smaller size or just get a new/used column.
Thanks for the info on the seat I didn't know that, that should help. Seems like there are alot more parts for the 67 and newer C10's for sure.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
1963c-10

The column itself should be good, just needs a new shaft. You can probably source one of those off our classifieds.

What I would do is become a premium member on the forum. Cost $25 for the year, but well worth it. (Then you can buy, sell and trade endlessly). Then post a want to buy or I need parts thread. You'd be surprised the support you can see from the forum. You can purchase off the classifieds without the member upgrade, but have to have it to start classifieds threads. The cost helps keep this forum up and going also.

There are several members close to you.....AZ & CA being the closest, but also a lot of used parts guys in ID & CO that have a lot of great used parts.

I don't have any 64-66 parts personally. Most of my stuff is 63 specific or 60-63 specific or I'd be glad to help out. Check out the "pay it forward thread" also, lots of good free parts. Just pay shipping. Link: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=671262
1964 Short bed trailer

Last edited by 1963c-10; 06-19-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
Raptor0206

Scored some new doors today!!!! super excited because i was thinking i was going to have to buy a whole donor truck just to get doors under 500 lol.
Got these for 160. they are complete and no rust. just need some slight body work. one window is off track but shouldn't be a issue.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #11
step65

Good deal look in pretty good shape.
step65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #12
Raptor0206

Quote:
Originally Posted by step65 View Post
Good deal look in pretty good shape.
They are. The driver side has some a dent front the fender but its small. Some taps with a body hammer and filler should do the trick. These are the cleanest used doors i found in 500 miles. I almost bought a set in cali for 500 and it had a rust spot on the bottom of one that rusted through.
He had a bumpers, grill and tailgate but just were not up to par for us. He also has a factory bench that needs foam on the bottom and a cover he said he would sell for 150. I might go back for that later.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
Raptor0206

Picked up some more parts the other day. Got the side trim and cab trim, seat that needs a new cover, steering wheel, glove box door and cowl cover.
I am going to be looking at a 64 4x4 on Saturday also. I kinda want my own project now lol
Old 08-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #14
Raptor0206

Got to make it to Cali this last week. We picked up some new wheels and tires for the truck. Its finally a roller
New 16" rims and some used 235/70r16 tires. I think we went a little tall on the side wall. What do you guys think?

We are trying to figure out what spring were put in here if you guys know please help me out. We are trying to go lower and do not want to order the same springs lol

Front cowl between frame rails is 18.5" off the gound

Front wheel well is 30.5"

Rear fender is 24.75"

Side of rocker is about a foot

Anyways we went down this week to make it a roller, clean out the cab, check out the whole truck to see what we need and to make it run with a new HEI distributor we got. Well we did everything but the distributor. Just not enough time with seeing family and what not to get stuff done. SO next trip down we will be picking up the truck and bringing it here. If we left it there we would never get this thing done!
Old 11-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
Raptor0206

Well these link suck...who does hosting now? got a lot to update

upload album

Last edited by Raptor0206; 11-15-2017 at 07:20 PM.