The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-24-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
vancelot69

Oil dipstick tube

How do I know which oil dipstick tube I need? On my previous 1970 Jimmy, the oil dipstick was on the passenger side of the engine, and I think it was dipstick tube from a van because it was so high up and forward reaching (see pic 1 & 2). I believe the engine in that truck was not a 350 from 1970 because I put a new starter and alternator on it, and the 1970 version didn't match what I took off, so the guy at the counter looked at other year model Blazers, and the starter and alternator from a 1974 fit.

Now, on the 1972 Jimmy I just bought, the dipstick is on the driver's side, and the tube / stick is so short, it's almost impossible for me to reach it from behind the brake booster. Also, the guy I bought it from said the guy he bought it from put an aftermarket chrome dipstick tube in it and it doesn't fit right and he thinks that's where the oil leak is from. This theory makes sense because the passenger side of the engine and exhaust is completely dry, while the drivers side is wet and the exhaust pipe has a line of oil going down it. He also thought it might be the rear main seal, but the flywheel and bell housing aren't wet, but the side of the engine block on the drivers side from about halfway front to back is where it gets wet, pretty much where the dipstick tube is.

So, I wanted to put a new dipstick tube in. I really liked the van one from my previous Jimmy, but at the very least I would like to get an OEM one to see if that stops the oil leak.

Googling it, I see several candidates, but how do I know which one I need? Rock Auto doesn't have the dipstick "tube" for 1972, although I didn't think to search on 1970, or 1971, or Blazer...

Also, if you compare previous vs. new, the brake booster vacuum hose is routed differently. On my previous Jimmy, it goes straight down, into a filter or something, then 90 degress under the breather, but on my new Jimmy, it's stretched under the breather, and the previous owner cut the breather to allow it to fit. I think I want to set it up like my previous Jimmy. Thoughts?
Attached Images

2003 HD Road King
vancelot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:51 AM   #2
chevycc1970

Re: Oil dipstick tube

This is the correct dipstick. Just so you know you won't be able to buy one from the parts store. You best chance is to find one from a board member.
Attached Images

chevycc1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
vancelot69

dang. Even that OEM one seems super short, like the brake booster / master cylinder is in the way... I'll get a better pic of mine, from the same angle your pic is, when I get home this evening.

If I wanted to put a dipstick & tube from a van on it, how would I know if it is showing the correct level?
2003 HD Road King
Old 04-25-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
chevycc1970

I would do a oil change put in 5 quarts and make a mark on the dipstick. LOL
chevycc1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #5
vancelot69

Here is the other pic from a similar angle as chevycc1970.
Attached Images

2003 HD Road King
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
68panelman

My 1970 Blazer is that style also^. Not a big fan of it as i need a small step stool to reach it and i'm 6'2". Tell you what, i'd rather have that van version and just stand in front to check the oil, seems it would work best on a lifted truck.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #7
cleszkie

That van version dipstick in the picture above is missing the support "arm" that runs from the dipstick tube straight down to one of the accessory holes on the front of the head. Without it, that long old tube will shake itself loose over time.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote