The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #76
Mattman2010

Re: Ultra Family and Hauler Mobile

Looking really good bud! This thing is sweet!

1984 K30 CC Dually - "The Tank"
12V Cummins/Nv4500/Np205/D60/D70HD 4" lift & 37's
Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Mattman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #77
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6BT 56 View Post
So the wknd is almost over . Has there been a test drive ?
No sir, I decided I'm going to do the front axle now since they are talking snow already. I know if I don't do it now it might now get done once it hits the streets.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #78
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman2010 View Post
Looking really good bud! This thing is sweet!
Thanks Matt!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #79
6lcummins

Quote:
So the wknd is almost over . Has there been a test drive ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
No sir, I decided I'm going to do the front axle now since they are talking snow already. I know if I don't do it now it might now get done once it hits the streets.
Doesn't help that your help skipped out on you Sunday to go sit in a tree all day. Granted it was a productive day for one of us lol

6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #80
ryanroo

somebody spilled ketchup on bambi's dad?

when i was in Iowa i stopped by to say hello to these guys. at first i didn't understand why they had a bunch of mineral blocks and a trough full of shelled corn next to a lawn chair on a pole at the edge of the trees behind the house. i think i get it now...

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #81
6BT 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lcummins View Post
Doesn't help that your help skipped out on you Sunday to go sit in a tree all day. Granted it was a productive day for one of us lol

Can I make a suggestion here ? If your not going to get anything done on the truck then at least spend the day deer watching somewhere that the deer dont have holes in them ... I bet sumone is going to have a full freezer.
New 2018 ram 3500 drw 4x4. Makes my 2005 Look as if it's been running on 4 cyl since new !
My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556908
6BT 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #82
6lcummins

Quote:
Can I make a suggestion here ? If your not going to get anything done on the truck then at least spend the day deer watching somewhere that the deer dont have holes in them ... I bet sumone is going to have a full freezer.
SSSHHHHH don't let the cat out of the bag, I sat in a tree for 10 hours and just happened to walk up on him sleeping there with a hole lol But now I'm no longer an avid bird watcher as the first 5 times out I never got a deer close enough to shoot so all I did was wastch birds, squirels, and racoons run around.

Freezer will have more meat in it for sure, he is currently at the locker. I hope to add a couple more this year as bow season is only 6 weeks old and ends Jan 10. We also have shotgun, late muzzle, and rifle season coming up too.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #83
6lcummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
somebody spilled ketchup on bambi's dad?

when i was in Iowa i stopped by to say hello to these guys. at first i didn't understand why they had a bunch of mineral blocks and a trough full of shelled corn next to a lawn chair on a pole at the edge of the trees behind the house. i think i get it now...
You're just jealous you didn't think of it first!
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #84
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I'm still trying to hit one every night.

No picture progress. More parts are on the way, more work was found to be done. Yee haw.....
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #85
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Yep, you guys know the story. She still isn't done yet. I've been doing some other odd jobs making extra coin, cleaning and scrapping, and of course working on the Ex. I decided to replace the front leaf springs with X code ones which will raise the front 2". I had to do this to get clearance in between the bump stop and leaf spring. Excursions had dearched leaf springs to get them to fit into standard garages. This project turned into new ball joints, new axle U-joints, seals for the axles, and inner axle seals as well as a ring and pinion swap. The cost of the seals on these front axles is rediculous! $125 for 4 seals my cost, and the inners are $44ea my cost. Plus you have to make or buy seal drivers to put them all in. I decided to purchase the vac seals and I got by without an installer for the inner axle seals. The ring and pinion swap was another PITA! Dana uses a long crush sleeve on 4.30 gear sets in a D50, but on 4.10 and down they do not use one. Guess what, like 0 people knew this. Yee haw.

I painted the RH battery tray. Got tired of the crusty look.

The inner axle seals are a PITA to get out. You just can't drive them out from the axle tube because these SOB's have a plastic seal saver that presses in from the axle tube side and you'll damage them. My LH axle seal saver was broken so I just knocked it all out. The RH side was a fiasco. Here's how I got the RH side out.

So now I have the vac seals installed, ball joints installed, axle u-joints installed, inner seals installed, and finally the 3.54 ring and pinion installed and set up. Now I can put the front axle back together and try to get this thing wrapped up. I wanted to drive it before Christmas, but I am thinking if that happens, it won't be totally finished. At this point I'm good with that.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #86
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Was the pitman arm used in the process of removing the seals or did you just kick it around on the floor for good measure? I have never used the fancy seal drivers to install inner axle seals. If I have to use a hammer, I use a long piece of tube, even used a metal broom handle against a seal driver. I have had good luck removing them with a prybar. I never liked how low stock 4x4 excursions sat... now I know why. I also thought Dana used crush sleeves for 35s and smaller... but aren't the 4.30s really a Ford specific application? Gotta make mommas truck drive nice, so I'm glad to see its getting all the maintenance detail you are putting into it! Keep it up!

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #87
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Was the pitman arm used in the process of removing the seals or did you just kick it around on the floor for good measure? I have never used the fancy seal drivers to install inner axle seals. If I have to use a hammer, I use a long piece of tube, even used a metal broom handle against a seal driver. I have had good luck removing them with a prybar. I never liked how low stock 4x4 excursions sat... now I know why. I also thought Dana used crush sleeves for 35s and smaller... but aren't the 4.30s really a Ford specific application? Gotta make mommas truck drive nice, so I'm glad to see its getting all the maintenance detail you are putting into it! Keep it up!
No, the pitman arm was just laying there in my mess of stuff. Too bad you pointed this out today as I just made a scrap run and I would have scrapped that dumb thing. On the inner axle seals, you have to have a super long pry bar to get the RH seal out without damaging the plastic seal saver. I had a bar long enough, but not with a severe enough bend in it to knock the seal out. I'm guessing you're right that 4.30's are Ford specific. Another great idea on their part. With any luck, when this rolls out of the shop the final time, I shouldn't have to do anything to it for a while besides upgrades. (It needs a cowl hood and some DVD players for the kids)
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #88
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

The ring and pinion are in finally and set up! What a battle that was. This morning I put the RH side back together and tomorrow I'll do the left side. I'm going to try to get as much done to it as I can to see if I can drive it by Tuesday..................

I eliminated the vacuum assist lock auto lock outs and installed manual ones. The auto ones would have been nicer for the wife, but I couldn't find a reasonably priced multi function vacuum switch to accomadate the system and just opted to ditch the sticky original lock outs.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #89
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I have always just left my manual hubs locked all through winter... never really had any problems from that. Good choice going full manual.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #90
Ackattack

Driving yet?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #91
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Driving yet?
No, with the temps dropping, my other job got in the way, and so did holiday stuff. Plus every time I work on it lately, something doesn't go right and it takes more time to fix it and move on. For instance the track bar and drop pitman arm fiasco. This week was the rear spring debacle. I was going to install add a leaves to make the thing sit level after the new to it front leaf springs. I forgot to add the pitman arm fiasco. I installed a drop pitman arm to fix some bump steer excursions have, and because I installed springs which will raise the front at least 2". What I did not realize was, a drop pitman arm on a super duty or excursion will not work unless you relocate the pan hard bar for the front axle. You can't turn to the left at all with the stock set up because the pitman arm hits the pan hard bar bracket and you're done. So on Sunday I addressed that issue. I got the thing sitting on all 4's again so I could make sure the front springs did indeed raise it up. It did so I moved on to the back Monday morning.

Watch out for China C clamps.

When I started to disassemble it I noticed it had blocks already. So I decided I'd just put in taller blocks instead of add a leaves. Too bad the only set of cast 4" blocks I had have an offset center pin location on the top and I couldn't use them. So this morning I just installed the add a leaves so I can keep moving forward. Nick has time off so he is going to seal the tcase to trans since I forgot to do it. The two biggest things left to do are install the grid heater solenoids and wire the timer relay, and wire the trans and install the pressure switches. I have to put the radiator, condensor, header, grill, and front bumper back on. I've got to install fog lights but they just bolt on but I'll have to wire them and mount the switch. There's a lot to do but a lot of it should go some what quickly.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 12-26-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #92
Ackattack

Relay timer? You got details on this. Right now I have my grid heaters on a switch, but a timer setup would be nice.

While we're on this topic, is the temp sensor in the intake a switch or sensor and the ECM normally cycles the heaters?
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #93
ryanroo

the ecm cycles them. depending on what the IAT says it will cycle them more or less during warm up. i think. im sure it helps but i think once its running there really isnt a point to continue cycling them. once ryan figures this timer thing out im going to pirate his idea as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #94
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Relay timer? You got details on this. Right now I have my grid heaters on a switch, but a timer setup would be nice.

While we're on this topic, is the temp sensor in the intake a switch or sensor and the ECM normally cycles the heaters?
With the timer relay you won't need the intake temp sensor. See below.

Quote:
the ecm cycles them. depending on what the IAT says it will cycle them more or less during warm up. i think. im sure it helps but i think once its running there really isnt a point to continue cycling them. once ryan figures this timer thing out im going to pirate his idea as well.
Yes, Ryan is correct. The ECM or PCM in a 12v's case, controls the grid heaters. It will cycle them when the intake air temp is below a certain parameter until the parameter is met. Once that temp is met the ECM cuts out operation to the grid heater solenoids until the next key cycle.

I was helping another member with questions on his 05 12v conversion and we got talking about grid heater controls. I told him I was looking for an inexpensive way to put a timer switch on them without spending big money for a glow plug controller from an older diesel truck. Well, he found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=141128573998

I purchased 2 and haven't put one on yet. He has had his installed for about 3-4 weeks and it works great. It is wired goofy as it applies grounds instead of power, but it will work. It is an adjustable relay as well.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #95
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Today I installed the back tires after balancing them. I also reinstalled the drive shaft now that Nick got the tcase to trans resealed. I put the old girl back on the ground and it sits pretty dang level. Nice! Then I moved on to tying up wires and making sure things were done before I put the coolers in. Right before I installed the radiator I realized I had to recenter the steering wheel. I did this then installed the lower coolant tube, and then the fan shroud. Currently the cooling system is all hooked back up, just needs coolant added. The intercooler is in and bolted down, and the RH pipe is all in place and clamped up. The upper radiator support cross member is installed and all bolted in. Coolant reservoir is installed and ready to go. Tomorrow I have to attend a funeral and a family Christmas GTG, not at the same time , so maybe I can get back on it Sunday. Nick was working installing some 03-07 mirrors on it when I left. He still has to run wiring for the lights on them but he had the LH mirror installed and half wired. He also installed the T and pressure switches in the side of the trans to control LO and OD. Just need to wire them up. It's getting there.

Here's a list of everything I can remember that needs done.

Wire up timer relay, mount grid heater solenoids, and wire them
Install LH intercooler pipe
Hook up AFC to intake
Install header and modify for 05 up head lights
Install head lights
Wire mirror lights
Wire trans switches and OD off switch
Reassemble dash
Get front drive shaft altered
Install tcase shifter, cut hole in floor and install boot
Install fog lights in bumper, install bumper
Wire fog lights
Install grill
Fill front diff with gear lube
Check fluids
Install Boost and Trans temp gauges
Order pyro and install it when it arrives
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #96
ryanroo

you forgot about
#18 change your mind twice and start from scratch on at least two things you forgot....

Old 01-08-2014, 05:06 PM   #97
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
you forgot about
#18 change your mind twice and start from scratch on at least two things you forgot....
Yeah no doubt....
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 01-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #98
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Time for an update..... It runs and drives! Then Monday morning it gelled up. Dang cold weather. More on that later....

After the rear suspension was modified, it was back to the front. Buttoned everything up, tying wires back and checking things to try not to over look things. I modified the header panel to install the 05 up head lights. I also had to modify the header to run an 05 grill too. We put the bumper on but need to remove the lower cross bar because the 05's don't have them. We also installed the first set of HID's.

Now we were working on wiring up grid heaters, which I skipped the delay relay for now to get this thing driving. Intercooler piping back on, had to make a long intake bolt since the soonest I could get one was 5-7 days.

Nick ran wiring and installed the new back up light. Ya have to be able to see to back up this unit.

There was an issue of too much timing and this thing would fog you out of the shop. Luckily we have a timing light for diesels and could check it without tearing it apart. Also, for all the people that say there is only roughly 10-12* of movement on a VE is wrong. It'd more like 20*. Luckily we were able to retard the injection pump and that problem was fixed. Here's a pic of the tail pipe right after start up. 26* not plugged in 5 seconds on the grid heater. It started within one revolution too.

Also, the engine wouldn't rev up over 1500rpms. That was tricky. Put a pressure gauge on it and it read 0 with the lift pump on. The pump was flowing fuel but no pressure. Hmm I had been leery of my return set up so I made some calls with no real help. Nick went down to the fuel injection shop we use and Tom saved the day. Turns out that the return system on a VE is regulated with a banjo bolt that has 2 .012 holes in it. Yeah, mine was a -6 JIC fitting and -6 hose. No restriction. Nick installed a return line and the banjo bolt and it fixed it. Chaulk that up on the board as a lesson learned.

Next was some instrumentation. The wife did not want a pillar pod so I removed the old SOF 4x4 switch and added a boost gauge. I put the trans temp gauge next to the power point recepticle. I also installed a toggle switch for the back up lamp under the boost gauge, and added an LED that indicates the grid heater is on.

We buttoned it up and took it out for a test drive. It was freaking cold! -12 at 8:00pm and driving down the road the outside temp gauge said -40. It was dang cold. I put ten gallons of fuel in it with half a bottle of penray anti gel, and it had 10gal of fuel in it already with power service 911. Guess what? Monday morning it was gelled up. Not cool! Plus I thought the lift pump I put on there was bad. Here are pics of it sitting in the drive way. I've got some bugs to work out but at least it is out of the shop and mobile!

1969 Chevy milk truck

Last edited by Dieselwrencher; 01-10-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #99
ryanroo

Before you put to many miles on this thing, check all the fluids and make sure the drain/fill plugs are tight in all reservoirs...

Sorry, i couldnt help myself...

Old 01-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #100
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Before you put to many miles on this thing, check all the fluids and make sure the drain/fill plugs are tight in all reservoirs...

Sorry, i couldnt help myself...

That was pretty low.

For those that don't know yesterday I drove this to work and the engine oil pan drain plug fell out. I stopped it before it was totally out of oil. My brother brought a different drain plug and my dad brought some oil. We put the drain plug in and oil in, fired it up and it was fine. Drove it with no issues. Later I started it up and it had a slight knock. Now it will be getting a rebuilt engine. It really stinks because I checked everything but the oil pan drain plug. I was just under it yesterday morning checking stuff and the drain plug was dry and had no signs of being loose. So yes, check them all before driving a big project........
1969 Chevy milk truck