The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #1
Chopped53

Electric 3100

Check this link for a Turn-key electric truck.

Interesting......

https://kindredmotorworks.com/models/kindred-chevy-3100
Chopped53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
vintovka

Re: Electric 3100

The New Ford EV truck is such a success i hear its been recalled.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
dsraven

yeah like I would wanna pay $160,000 USD for an electric truck. thats $216,442 CAD money, plus transport fees plus border fees, plus inspection fees and other items, like daytime running lights etc.
I live in Calgary, it is cold here for, like, 8 months of the year. cold like turn the heater on kinda cold. it is currently -31 deg C, with a wind chill, etc etc. I drive for 5 or 6 hrs to get to our summer place at the lake, but we also go there in the winter, just came home from there yesterday. so, drive for 3 hrs, get in line for the charger station, then wait for awhile for it to charge, etc.
not for me unless there is a charger built in, you know, like the chevy volt had. a small gasoline (sorry, I swore there didn't I) driven generator that would turn itself on and charge as you drive.
not being negative, just saying thats why a lot of people don't buy the spendy electric cars.
forgot to mention, I need something that will pull a boat for 5-6 hrs as well......through the mountains.....
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #4
Chopped53

Yeah, it's kind of a weird beast. I'm not sure who the target market is. Apparently, the same company also offers electric Broncos, VW buses, and Camaros.

In some ways, it gives me hope for the future. When we eventually get the flying cars I've been waiting for since the Jetsons was on TV, maybe some models will look like our trucks!
Chopped53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:53 PM   #5
mr48chev

The Target market is the more money than sense club who think that they have to have the latest and coolest what ever the cost. The same guys who pay 20K over sticker to buy the latest Corvette special edition or Mopar Hellcat. The ones who park in Rolex row at Goodguys and have "reservations for dinner" rather than heading to the cafe where most of the other rodders go. I was at a Gooodguys show a few years ago with my 51 Merc and this fancy tow rig with a very fancy enclosed trailer pulled in next to my camp trailer and the guys in it opened the back up and there sat a nationally famous at the time show rod. Neither one of them owned it, they were the paid crew who hauled it around the country to shows, prepped it and set it up so the owner could fly in on the weekend and play street rodder and most likely collect another trophy on Sunday before he flew home and they got ready to haul it to the next show. Nice guys who were both making more money hauling that car aroundd than I was teaching full time then.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:04 PM   #6
leegreen

Available 2024. do any of those exist or just nice renderings?

The dash of the 3100 has two wiper switches, strange solution for a problem that does not exist or a art decision by someone unfamiliar with these trucks

I think the vehicles they offer are all available as 100% repop bodies and panels
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:50 PM   #7
G&R's57GMC

One of the best reasons to have an electric vintage vehicle is all the time it sits in the garage , there is no gas going bad or oil to change coolant eating away the internal parts of the system or other parts degrading from long term storage .

Now before you jump on me just think how many of you store your vehicles for the winter and then only use them locally the rest of the year or trailer them to a distant car show .

Ya I know we here build our stuff and some of us run the tires off of them some of us don’t .
So electric vintage isn’t for everyone yet but give it time .
Your location and use at this time would be a deciding factor . Welcome to the 21st century .

Just 100 years ago these new fangled contraptions were hitting the market and roads were a pain to use unless you were in a city and finding gas to run these contraptions was a hunt .
Besides the horse and buggy crowd saying get a horse those things are just a fad and will never catch on besides they’re just toys for the rich .
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:33 PM   #8
leegreen

Given how readily lipo and other hi tech batteries can fail in storage, I'd rather put my internal combustion vehicles in storage than the truck in post 1

for that matter the cost of the truck in post 1 would keep me in vehicles indefinitely if invested in some low risk fashion.
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 03:11 AM   #9
mr48chev

My wife has been talking smaller electric car for her simply because we live 2.3 miles from the grocery store and the furtherest she usually drives on her own is 20 miles to a resteraunt she likes and the Walmart a half mile from there.

I could see a guy or gal doing a converson on and AD or TF as a drive to work truck for local commuting and driving around town but can't see spending the asking price for those trucks in that add except for high roller bragging rights. Some of the conversions that are coming out run about the same $$ as doing an LS crate motor swap.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #10
dsraven

well, the thing with electric is you would meet a lot more people that share the same interest. thats because there is nothing else to do when waiting for the thing to quick charge when on a road trip. get out, stretch your legs and chat with the other people doing the same. oh yeah, and call to say you'll be late. haha.
I guess I think about it the wrong way. for me spending that kinda cash for a vehicle means it would be my front runner, go everywhere vehicle. it would need to be comfortable for long trips, able to tow a boat or motorcycle trailer, store luggage and all the stuff that the wife needs to bring along. haul lumber, furniture etc and have the safety bells and whistles that a new vehicle has. one more thing, it needs to have seating for 4 as well. one of those would be cool though, as a second vehicle for pleasure driving in the city or shorter trips out of the city where you can be back before you need to charge or where you will possibly have time to let it charge while you do something else, dinner, hike, picnic, swap meet, etc. the cost would have to come down considerably though.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
vintovka

The owner of a Ford dealership actually flat out told me that I didn't want the Ford EV Truck. He said he was actually forced to take and display the one he had an called it a waste of floor space. This after he personally tested it.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
joedoh

they have got to be using old cabs and selling as restored, similar to the singer porsches. because there isnt a prayer these would pass any modern test except emissions.

and its nice to see they cant get the hood gaps right on a 160k truck any better than we can

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 11:52 PM   #13
GreasyLikeaBurger

EV West down here is Socal has been doing conversions for a long time, mainly VW and Porsche, but they have done a few different requests. This is a decent build and they explain what they did and how well its held up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-N...channel=EVWest
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 03:35 AM   #14
mr48chev

If a guy was going to convert one that red truck is a seriously good guide on how to do it.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2022, 11:32 PM   #15
vintovka

Engineers know that unless battery technology makes a miracle break through, history won't be kind to those who promoted it.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:39 PM   #16
A.Delaney

I'm willing to bet somebody buys one and converts it to gas. You know because car guys cant leave anything alone.
Old 12-24-2022, 02:14 AM   #17
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Delaney View Post
I'm willing to bet somebody buys one and converts it to gas. You know because car guys cant leave anything alone.
At what they ask for one of those and in that they all will be built to order, that probably won't happen. Mainly it would kill the Bubba factor times over and you can have some really good shops build you a real nice AD for the asking price.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:46 PM   #18
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
The New Ford EV truck is such a success i hear its been recalled.
Most every new Ford truck built in the last 30 years has been recalled multiple times. For that matter probably every vehicle manufactured in 30 years has been recalled multiple times. EV is the wave of the future, probably not with lithium batteries, but electric either way. If I was starting my TRUK project, I'd definitely consider EV.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 11:54 PM   #19
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
One of the best reasons to have an electric vintage vehicle is all the time it sits in the garage , there is no gas going bad or oil to change coolant eating away the internal parts of the system or other parts degrading from long term storage .

Now before you jump on me just think how many of you store your vehicles for the winter and then only use them locally the rest of the year or trailer them to a distant car show .

Ya I know we here build our stuff and some of us run the tires off of them some of us don’t .
So electric vintage isn’t for everyone yet but give it time .
Your location and use at this time would be a deciding factor . Welcome to the 21st century .

Just 100 years ago these new fangled contraptions were hitting the market and roads were a pain to use unless you were in a city and finding gas to run these contraptions was a hunt .
Besides the horse and buggy crowd saying get a horse those things are just a fad and will never catch on besides they’re just toys for the rich .
This. You guys would have been staunch supporting members of the horses not cars club. As g&r says, welcome to this 21st century that is 22% over

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 12:18 AM   #20
mr48chev

Well at least it isn't needing a lot if it sits in the garage. My son's father in law is a real cowboy who even did a few years of being a rodeo pickup man. He is 4 years older than me and still works about 40 hours a week or more to be able to pay for the feed for his horses.

There is a time and place for everything, While I don't see that fancy 150K electric converson AD as anythign except something with a lot of Bubba factor and not that practical.

The other conversion that ends up costing about the same as an LS4 crate motor and Tremec 5 speed and attending pieces could be a practial drive around town and commute a reasonable disatance to work rig for about the cost as a box with wheels off the new car lot. Most of us with an AD or TF still have our "work rig" that gets driven to work daily and runs errands. That may be a mid 70's beater truck or it may be a 2023 Silverado High Country with every bell and whistle. A lot of guys just go to the lot and find a new rig that is hopefully under 30 K to drive for five years before they take it back and get another one. If you can do an AD or TF daily for under 30 K with electric power and it takes the place of the new disposable rig life is good. Run back and forth to work in it and then you have your cool gas powered truck for the special trips.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:51 AM   #21
vintovka

I understand that the cost of disposing of bad battery components has gotten the attention of states like CA. Like other items that already have a special fees (paint/ lumber) the cost would be either be added to the vehicles purchase price (aka Precycing) or when the batteries are either replaced or the car is sold or rendered inoperable/wrecked. One idea is a "per mile charge" as part of registration.
Old 12-26-2022, 03:11 AM   #22
mr48chev

Good point on the battery disposal. I'd think that somewhere along the line there should be a must be X % recyclable. Right now it doesn't look like the percentage is that high.

We as old truck folk are probably some of the more ardent recyclers without giving it much thought. We drag an old truck home and save the pieces we want for our build, sell the real junk for scrap at the scrap yard. sell the usable pieces that we don't need or that sometimes aren't up to the level we want for our build (one guys too far gone is another guy's great patina) and most every left over from our builds either gets another life one way or the other.

Now we get to this newer stuff with planned obsolescence that has a lot of plastic and a lot of maybe recyclable and maybe not recyclable materials. It does make you wonder a bit.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #23
vintovka

"Now we get to this newer stuff with planned obsolescence that has a lot of plastic and a lot of maybe recyclable and maybe not recyclable materials. It does make you wonder a bit."

Having worked with the landfill industry i think the Wall-E movie is scary accurate but without the happy ending. The nasty by products when our ADs were made are still around and compounded by those generated by their repair, restoration and operation. Someone swiped my motto of "bioacclimate or die" as i just say it on a t shirt.
Old 12-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #24
slammed57

MEHHH! one part about driving a classic is the look of a classic and the other half is the SOUND.........and by the sound of that electric truck its really half the fun but with a heavy price tag. you can keep it in my opinion! i'll pass!
Old 12-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #25
1project2many

Quote:
Most every new Ford truck built in the last 30 years has been recalled multiple times.
When NHTSA orders a manufacturer make a fix available due to potential safety issues, it's considered a recall. These days a "recall" could be as simple as updating radio or HUD software to reduce maximum display brightness at night.

Quote:
I understand that the cost of disposing of bad battery components has gotten the attention of states like CA.
It should. Companies here on the east coast are shipping battery cores to CA for recycling. It doesn't seem very cost effective at $16.00 - $20.00 per core.

Quote:
MEHHH! one part about driving a classic is the look of a classic and the other half is the SOUND
Imagine... go from built hemi to cammed flathead with the touch of a button. How much fun would it be to pull into the parking lot with this car and the Jetson's car sound emanating from underneath:

Scroll through the pictures in this article and ask yourself if one of these cars might just sound ok with an electric powerplant.
https://www.customcarchronicle.com/c...ly-custom-car/
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote