The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 PM   #1
siggyfreud

Noticeable difference in in-board vs. outboard coilovers?

Hola all!

About 6 months ago I finished a ridetech coil-over setup on the front of my 72. I'm considering finishing up the suspension and doing the rear this year, but curious about thoughts on some options.

The "easy" choice is to also go with Ridetech for the rear, but my hesitation is that for the 67-72 their rear setup places the coilovers a few inches inside the frame (much like the stock coils).

When looking at a rear setup like QA1s their coil-overs go right outside the frame, theoretically reducing the amount of roll the truck will need to experience before loading up the suspension.

This truck is mostly a sporty DD, but may one day see some track time, so curious what people's opinion is.

Right now I'm leaning towards a setup like QA1 for the rear because it seems like getting the suspension as far outward as possible is just the better design in terms of suspension performance, but I also acknowledge people who think one should stay inside a suspension "ecosystem."

Cheers all!
siggyfreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Noticeable difference in in-board vs. outboard coilovers?

The out boards will work better under 2 conditions.

1 being if you awkwardly load up the bed with heavy weight, but it will take quite a bit.

2 if you are doing a time attack level of driving.

So under normal driving to spirited driving you likely won't be able to tell the difference.

I would buy the out boards since you are already going to buy a kit, but I wouldn't switch kits.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:35 PM   #3
HAULIN' IT

I would do out-board for sure. Your reasons are all spot on. Some years ago a fellow contacted me about checking out a 9" rear end housing for him after it tore up its second wheel bearing on the same side in two summers...yes a wheel bearing a summer, a few thousand miles a year! I went to look at the truck (a '56 Ford) & found all sorts of crazy stuff. Axle housing welded all out of whack, way too narrow springs, too short of panhard bar, ect.
I built a new housing, made a new panhard bar & brackets (went from something like 16" to over 30") & moved the springs to the outsides of the frame. The guy that owned it & his wife could not believe how much nicer it drove, took bends, ect. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:10 AM   #4
siggyfreud

Appreciate the replies!

Yeah if I had already bought a rear setup I wouldn't sweat it, but since it's still out there waiting for the wallet to pony up I think I'll try and do the outboard. I just need to ensure I have enough space between the tires/wheels and frame.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #5
68Stepbed

https://totalcostinvolved.com/produc...ar-suspension/

Outboard coilovers, still able to fit 18x12" wheels with 335/30/18 tires, and the torque arm will have it hooking like crazy! Trust me!!

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
siggyfreud

Appreciate it Matt! I had totally forgotten about them! I will definitely be giving them a close look. I like that I can get Ridetech coilovers in their kit too, to keep it similar to my fronts.