The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 PM   #1
S_Gibson

Break Clevis Pin

Bought a bracket off the forum and need a clevis pin to hook the brake pedal to it. Anyone know what size and length clevis pin is require. Any thought on where to buy one on a weekend?

Also is there a clip required at the notch in the pin the brake booster connects to on the bracket?

I bought a brake booster, have the bracket, have brake line and bought brakes hoses and was going to complete my brake system tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
rockyrivermark

Re: Break Clevis Pin

I have an assortment of pins. You know what size you need?
I'll send one off to ya
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Dog gone dude, I spent HOURS looking for my push rod assembly. Looked everywhere they could possibly be, twice. Then I realized that WHOOPS, the box was two feet from my computer the entire time. Anyway, I gathered up the parts and pictured. Not sure which pin you mean, but here's the set-up:

If you mean the push rod to brake pedal "pin", it's a special bolt.........
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-23-2019 at 07:27 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
S_Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Dog gone dude, I spent HOURS looking for my push rod assembly. Looked everywhere they could possibly be, twice. Then I realized that WHOOPS, the box was two feet from my computer the entire time. Anyway, I gathered up the parts and pictured. Not sure which pin you mean, but here's the set-up:

If you mean the push rod to brake pedal "pin", it's a special bolt.........
Awesome photo. Thanks for posting it.

I guess I'm missing several parts.

I'm missing 1 of the push rod pins and 2 clips, 2 washers and 2 "wave" washers. I'm also missing the brake push rod. I have the part that connects to the pedal, but I'm missing the other end. I have the bolt for the brake pedal although when I took it apart today it did not have a cotter pin. I also noticed the spring it broken.

Think I can find something at a local parts store or perhaps a hardware store?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Napa should have the wave washers, might even have the pins and clips.

Otherwise it's piece work, Ebay, and our parts board is real good. That or if you're lucky a wrecking yard.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #6
rechinca

I had the same question and similar issue a couple of weeks ago, but NAPA was a strike out. You may try eBay or In-line Tube if this is what you are looking for. I got lucky in finding my pin, but the clip itself I got off Amazon. I believe should be the same for GM/Camaro’s.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 AM   #7
S_Gibson

Lol, just noticed "Brake" is misspelled in the topic name. I have to be more careful typing on a phone. DOH!

A trip to Ace Hardware yielded some results. I bought a 3/8" x 2" clevis pin with multiple holes, 3/8" flat washer, cotter pins and a bronze sleeve bearing with a 3/8" inside diameter.

I cut the clevis pin down and ground the end down to a bit over 1" long. using a washer and cotter pin it works perfect for the brake booster push rod.

Since I did not have the proper end for the push rod and had 2 push rods for manual brakes I cut the bronze sleeve to match the length of one the pedal attachments. The inside of the pedal attachment was still lightly larger than the outside of the sleeve so I put a few rounds of tape around it to snug it up and take up the small amount of slack.

Could not find a store opened on the weekend to buy a threaded rod that match the thread of the pedal attachment. Using 2 pedal attachment I'll need a threaded rod about 4 3/4" long to make a brake push rod that will work.

My double flare tool broke with 2 fittings to go so I was unable to finish the lines, but I replaced all the lines and hoses to the prop valve. Turned out OK and should suffice until I find all the vehicle correct parts. Hoping all the flares are good and do not leak. Love using the copper lines. The plug to bleed the master is the wrong size, so not sure the best way to bleed it.

Ended up buying a master cylinder since the old one showed evidence of having fluid leaking out the back. For the vacuum all I could find was a fuel fitting to fit in the manifold with a 5/16 nipple. Hoping it works and doesn't leak.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
S_Gibson

Fastenal had to order the threaded rod. All they could get was a 3'-0 piece. I'll have to cut it down to about 5 1/2". Not going to be in until Wednesday. Bummed I'll be off the road for a few more days.

There is a broken spring hanging off my brake pedal. I'll have to find something somewhere to replace it and find out where it is supposed to attach.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
webfoot

I just dealt with the flare tool deal. I bought an unused Imperial Eastman off ebay for $25 delivered. It didn't have any of the dies but inline tube sells them in whatever size you need. The old "performance tool" could never make a good flare. This Imperial Eastman is so easy to use it is ridiculous.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #10
S_Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
I just dealt with the flare tool deal. I bought an unused Imperial Eastman off ebay for $25 delivered. It didn't have any of the dies but inline tube sells them in whatever size you need. The old "performance tool" could never make a good flare. This Imperial Eastman is so easy to use it is ridiculous.
I may have to buy a better one at some point. I just had a Harbor Freight special. I bought it and did the back of the truck last summer. While the flares did not look great, they all sealed. I did the front and the tip broke of with 2 flares to go. Hoping the ones I did seal properly. I think Harbor Freights Pittsburgh tools have warranty, so I may get it replaced to sit on a shelf in case I need to redo a fitting. I would never recommend it, and I wouldn't think of using it on steel lines.

The auto parts store had a loaner. When I got it it was missing the 3/16 double flare adapter so I'll have to find a different store with them to finish it off.