The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
1Bad 37

'91 318iS slow/daily build

Hello all, this is my car’s story, I've gotten around to making a thread here!

This is a copy/paste from R3vlimited.com so the tenses might not be exactly correct all the time.

I picked her up on July 2nd, with the following parts...

*Things that are starred I have done...

Drivetrain

Rebuilt 1.8L engine by Bavarian Auto Recycling (approx.5000 mi, on rebuild)
Ported & Polished Head
S14 Camshaft Grind
High Flow Air filter
Custom 2.5" Exhaust w/ Magnaflow Muffler (no cat)
Engine Skid Plate
Lightened Flywheel, w/ Recent clutch
Z3 Short Shifter
4.27 LSD Rear End
*replaced with 4.10 open, the LSD is loud. The 4.27 is missed and will return soon

Suspension
Ground Control Coil-Overs w/ 500lb Eibach Spring
Billy HD's
OEM M3 FCABs
E36 Power steering Rack
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
*Sparco strut bar
Wheel Studs
Rota RB 16x8 square, springlesprangle of +20 7mm spacer in front
*10mm spacer in rear, but they are not on in any pics...
Nexen N3000 225/45/16

Exterior
Recent Body Paint & Trim
Euro Smiley headlights with 5k H.I.D
*Morimoto 3Five.1 ballasts with 5k morimoto H3C bulbs in fog lights
Euro Shadowline Kidney Grills
Kopi European Grills
Euro Smoked Side Repeaters
Euro Bumper Trim
Euro License Plate Filler
Racing Dynamics Rear Wing (original E30 trunk & is spoiler on wall)
DTM Fiberglass Rear Apron
*LED license plate lights

Interior
E36 M3 “Vader” Front Seats
M Tech 1 steering wheel
Alum. Pedal Set
*Kustom stainless dead pedal
Pioneer AM/FM/CD/MP3 Player
Clarion SRR1320 speakers in rear deck
*LED dome lights
*German Audio Specialties 10" e30 sub box
*Infinity Reference 1062 DVC sub
*Planet Audio 1800.5 amp
*Fat mat sound deadener
*LED courtesy lamps

Recent Maintenance
All Fluid Replacement
Front Wheel hubs
Front Control Arms
M3 Camber Adjustment
Tie Rod Ends
Guibo Coupling
Ceramic Brake Pads

Cruising home!

IMG_0638m by Der E30, on Flickr

Home fresh from my lovely drive back from Tacoma...

]

Fresh after a wash...

Went for a super rushed photoshoot later in the summer...

]

With my other baby...

The first things I did were adjust the projectors as the driver’s side was rest of world tilt, passenger was US tilt... It looked like \-----/ on a wall... I also tweaked the shields for a nice blue cutoff. I also made a new mounting point for the driver’s side as it flopped around with a broken adjuster...

Next I welded up a cross for my rearview mirror... Jesus rides with me.

Drove over to my parent's cabin the third day of ownership.

IMG_0710m by Der E30, on Flickr
THis happened 100 yards from the cabin...

IMG_0717m by Der E30, on Flickr
Fixed!

IMG_0718m by Der E30, on Flickr

During inspection (after I got home haha) I found a missing bolt in the guibo.

New 5k HID fog light bulbs and ballasts.

Aug 23rd I leatheriqued the seats, and took very few pics of that

The Vader headrests came out really nice.

Done backseat... It did get more matte as time went on.

Babies together while the body filler dries on the back fender of the truck...

September 8th I went to the Sunday drag races(test and tune) LOL It was really fun, I was the only thing euro there, and one of like 3 “imports.”

Some time later in September the blower motor (HVAC fan) threw a fan blade, or so I thought. It lost the little connector pieces between the blades, allowing them to flex and make fantastic noises!

IMG_1683m by Der E30, on Flickr
On an M42, pulling the intake manifold is the only real way to get the fan in without messing it up. Fortunately, it was a straightforward process...

IMG_1682m by Der E30, on Flickr

As much fun as drag racing was it probably led to this...

IMG_4975m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_4981m by Der E30, on Flickr

Wait??? WHAT??? WHY??? Well I’ll tell you...
I was driving home from play rehearsal one night, and it would make this weird harmonic noise at just about 2.8k revs in every gear... I thought what could be wrong that night in bed and the next day after school, (I ride with my sister in her car) I looked under it with a flashlight and see something weird, get up, started to walk away and went “huh.” I got back down to look again and the oil pan is sitting on the steering rack... "GREAT!" Further investigation reveals that the subframe to motor mount plate welds are broken on the passenger side...

Normal...

IMG_4983m by Der E30, on Flickr
Broken...

IMG_4984m by Der E30, on Flickr
Better pics of the damage...

IMG_4985m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_4986m by Der E30, on Flickr
Money shot...

IMG_4991m by Der E30, on Flickr
Twisted wire wheel for the paint...Yup, its broken!

IMG_5006m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5007m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5010m by Der E30, on Flickr
Oh yeah, when I tapped it with my trusty hammer to return it to the proper place, this happened. TAPPED, as in lightly... LOL

IMG_5013m by Der E30, on Flickr
Weldy weldy...

IMG_5015m by Der E30, on Flickr
Unbroken side got love as well.

IMG_5017m by Der E30, on Flickr
Still unbroken side...

IMG_5018m by Der E30, on Flickr
Back to the broken...

IMG_5019m by Der E30, on Flickr
Plated on the top, broken side first... My plates are .120in wall steel, that was the thickest I could comfortably add while still having enough motor mount stud for the nut to grab... The reason I added the metal to the top was because it raises the oil pan up a slight amount, but with an M42 you need all the help you can get!

IMG_1695m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1697m by Der E30, on Flickr
Unbroken side...

IMG_1696m by Der E30, on Flickr
Painted, red was what was on hand, and its fairly hidden down there anyway...

IMG_1700m by Der E30, on Flickr
PICS! In chronological order, I think, this is all the ok ones. :rofl: My internet is stupid and slow so fliker didn’t like it if I tried to upload 38 in one shot. :rofl:
Pulled carpet, and began laying sound deadener.

IMG_1811m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1808m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1807m by Der E30, on Flickr
Bonus points if you know where this is!

IMG_5290m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5275m by Der E30, on Flickr
Anybody local have another door seal they’d let go of for a good price?????? Mine is toast.

IMG_5274m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5272m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5269m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1850m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1825m by Der E30, on Flickr
Is this a premium package speaker? I have these in the front, they still sound nice and clear!

IMG_1813m by Der E30, on Flickr
Christmas morning! Thanks Mom and Dad!

IMG_1836m by Der E30, on Flickr
Sparco bar fit perfect after a few mins with a hammer to dent it for the intake mani.

IMG_5296m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5292m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5294m by Der E30, on Flickr
Ends of the amp.

IMG_5362m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5351m by Der E30, on Flickr
For those that are curious what the box, amp, and infinity sub weigh together...
IMG_1865m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_1866m by Der E30, on Flickr
Box test fit.

IMG_1846m by Der E30, on Flickr
:rofl:

IMG_5378m by Der E30, on Flickr
My nasty, faded stock parcel shelf.

IMG_5388m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5386m by Der E30, on Flickr
Test spot.

IMG_5383m by Der E30, on Flickr
Power for the amp is from under the parcel shelf.

IMG_5376m by Der E30, on Flickr
Finished install of the amp.

IMG_5372m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5370m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5368m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5366mm by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5391m by Der E30, on Flickr
But what about the parcel shelf????? Here you go. It was painted in “automobile primer” from a spray bomb. I think it came out beautiful, it isn’t particularly crunchy or anything! A huge improvement I think...

IMG_5400m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_5399m by Der E30, on Flickr
All back together!

IMG_5392m by Der E30, on Flickr

Did this last night, I’m trying to make my exhaust quieter...

IMG_5394m by Der E30, on Flickr
The road noise is much improved, when I’m not in the gas... The sub sounds GREAT! I love having sound below just vocals and having some lowws! I kept a huge amount of trunk space as well! WIN WIN!

Today was a beautiful day(first one in FOREVER!), so I washed her and snapped some pics! First time the white plastidipped wheels, 10 mm spacers on the rear, and front blinker bulbs with electrical tape over the "low" filament (off with the running lights but flash with blinker) have seen a lens. I wanted to wait until the sunset but had places to go and people to see...

IMG_6088m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6081m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6079m by Der E30, on Flickr
I caught myself with the flashers blinking in both pics under the RR bridge.:rofl1:

IMG_6072m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6066m by Der E30, on Flickr
IMG_6102mm by Der E30, on Flickr
IMG_6095mm by Der E30, on Flickr
THis weekend I installed courtesy lamps in my doors, like an e90 or other modern BMW.
Enter e70 LED lights.

IMG_6103m by Der E30, on Flickr
Tools for surgery.
IMG_6114m by Der E30, on Flickr
Cut INSIDE the tape.:rofl1: I put them about 12.5 inches from the outside end of the door.

IMG_6126m by Der E30, on Flickr

I put in some more fatmat stuff.
IMG_6123m by Der E30, on Flickr
IMG_6125m by Der E30, on Flickr
All back together again. Wiring them in was the hardest part. They are triggered by the dome light wiring, so they come on and go out with the dome lights.

IMG_6134m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6108m by Der E30, on Flickr

Glamor shots.

IMG_6136m by Der E30, on Flickr
IMG_6138m by Der E30, on Flickr
IMG_6139m by Der E30, on Flickr
1Bad 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
BMERDOC

Re: '91 318iS slow/daily build

Nice clean little ride! I cut my teeth on E30s and the other models around that time period. I don't get to see many of them anymore. I am currently getting an '87 325e straight for a Doctor who has been coming to the dealership for years and refuses to get rid of it because it was her college car.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
1Bad 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Nice clean little ride! I cut my teeth on E30s and the other models around that time period. I don't get to see many of them anymore. I am currently getting an '87 325e straight for a Doctor who has been coming to the dealership for years and refuses to get rid of it because it was her college car.
Thanks! I really love the little car! Its so fun to drive, not to fast but fast enough to get into trouble if you're not careful! I think I will be one of those people that will never get rid of my e30! Especially once I add bags and an s54. 330bhp inline 6 at 8k revs

Took this a few hours ago...

IMG_6162mn by Der E30, on Flickr
Old 03-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Low Elco

I bet an LS would go right into it. Muaaahaha. Clean little car, I always liked that era of BMW, especially the 5 series. Pretty scenery around there!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
1Bad 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
I bet an LS would go right into it. Muaaahaha. Clean little car, I always liked that era of BMW, especially the 5 series. Pretty scenery around there!
Don't do that! I have an LS in the truck and its awesome, it wouldn't take a very hard push in that direction!It would fit right in, I've seen it done! I like the s54 because it is a bolt in affair, with PNP wiring availability, I could do it in a week and not loose my favorite car for too long.

The e28 5 series is one of my favorites as well, there's one at my school that is grey and slammed, looks so good. I want one.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
1Bad 37

Hello my friends, it is 1 Bad 37 again. Today I have this update for you. I bought a headlight retrofit kit from Squared Motorwerks Thread about them here

I also bought a set of Morimoto mini H1 6.0 projectors and xb 35 5k bulbs from the retrofit source.

Getting started.

IMG_6189m by Der E30, on Flickr
Wow, there was a picture gap here. Already built!
IMG_6189m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6204m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6208m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6209m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6224m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6225m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6220m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6223m by Der E30, on Flick
This is a bare stock projector (no housing) with a bid bulb of unknown origin of 6 or 8 k versus my new H1 6.0 and Squared adapter, fully installed in my euro smily housing with a clear lamin x film over the top and morimoto 5k bulb.

IMG_6195m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6198m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6199m by Der E30, on Flickr

IMG_6201m by Der E30, on Flickr

They went together very easily and seem well made. The light output is INSANE. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference as I already had a set of xenon lights in the stock projectors that the P.O. did. My xenon fogs are unneeded now, and I drove with them on religiously before the retrofit as the lows never impressed me... It is like driving with a daylight generator when I hit the brights as I have the bixenon function working, as well as the stock H1 center halogens running for a quad highbeam. My mom had an e46 with factory xenons and currently has a e90 with the active steering xenon lights. I've also driven an F20 5 series, this is all of that and more!:rofl1:

And as always.... Have a nice day.

IMG_6181mn by Der E30, on Flickr
Old 05-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Frizzle Fry

Love your e30 man! I've been SERIOUSLY looking for one lately. I would buy the right one with a swap already done - the last thing I need in another project . Been browsing the r3vlimited classifieds...

Your car looks great (especially with white spokes).
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:47 AM   #8
1Bad 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Love your e30 man! I've been SERIOUSLY looking for one lately. I would buy the right one with a swap already done - the last thing I need in another project . Been browsing the r3vlimited classifieds...

Your car looks great (especially with white spokes).
THanks! They are fun little cars! I love your work! Are you a member of R3v???? My handle is DER E30 there...

I think I need to get another... I've got a hairbrained idea that one would look absolutely killer with about a 2.5 inch chop... But I won't use this one for the guinea pig...

As a side note I finally broke down and ordered a (hopefully) quieter muffler. She drones at freeway speed... So my new Borla should be buzzed in by next weekend so expect an update in the next week or so depending on how bad my homework is and how slow amazon is at shipping...
BTW shop around for those! They are about half the Borla website list price on amazon! Plus free ship.

Last edited by 1Bad 37; 05-05-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
maxxxy

I don't know a whole lot about the older bimmers but it looks like you have a good project! I don't know if you noticed, but those squared headlamp adapter plates are 3D printed abs plastic. Really cool technology, but I bet it cost the company less than 10 cents in material to make lol.

Max's bagged 81

81 rcsb bagged, 22s, build in progress
09 ext cab, 24" U2's, DD sub/amp
maxxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
1Bad 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxy View Post
I don't know a whole lot about the older bimmers but it looks like you have a good project! I don't know if you noticed, but those squared headlamp adapter plates are 3D printed abs plastic. Really cool technology, but I bet it cost the company less than 10 cents in material to make lol.
Yeah, I know they're 3d printed, They work really well, I didn't even adjust my light's aim, they just dropped in. I supported a member of the e30 community so I'm happy with them. I drive in the dark probably half the time so it was totally worth it to me to be able to SEE in the dark. Really quite a noticeable improvement that makes it waaaay better to drive. I don't even get flashed as the cutoff is like a stock TL or modern Bimmer. I took my truck out yesterday in the dark and I sure missed the 30's lights...

Edit: The truck's LS is giving me terrible, horrible, expensive ideas for this car and a new powerplant...
Old 10-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #11
1Bad 37

I got off my lazy behind to post some top quality iphone Picturds
I'll start at the e30 picnic! great time looking at the world's largest gathering of e30s!! Funny story about the difference between e30 owners and hot rodders. When I rolled up to the picnic, I thought "oh crap its 9:45! I'll be like the last person there!" I was probably the 12th car there! about a hundred more appeared about a half hour later! If I had gotten to a rod show at that time they would have practically given out the awards and would be packing up to leave! Needless to say, old people that hot rod get up too dang early!!

Went to a NW Porsche club AutoX with new AutoX partner in crime

That "Miata" was really quick!
I'm the goof with the open hood! But it was one of two that opened right! Hinges by the windshield are silly!
Bummed a ride in this Carrara RS Super America!! Was the fastest cornering thing I've ever been in! Was a total roller coaster ride! Amazing car! On hoosier slicks it carved it up!

Because GT3RS, 'nuff said!!!

Feels like I was just here!

Changed to these SS fuel lines because the ones there pulled some retarded crap... It decided on the first day of Fall quarter to piss gas all over the ground, as in PISSING! :madThe block had gas streaming down the side about 3 inches wide and made about a foot and a half wide puddle in the garage with a trail of drips leading to the car... SO I took my mom's car to school (and got a parking warning for wrong car registered to the pass.) The next day when I went to fix it, nothing. As in DRY! I changed the rubber lines on the fuel rail and tightened the hose clamps for kicks...
Seems ok now

Chilling at skool! THe other day she was all alone on the parking deck as I walked up all smiles because I have keys to a beautiful e30! Also note my parking behavior RIGHT next to the wall for max door ding protection!

Next week should have more AutoX pics as the last one of the season is next Sat!
Old 10-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #12
1Bad 37

So, at the last autoX the tech inspector didn't like my battery mounting solution, which was nothing thanks to a PO.:dontknow:So he made Kyle and I come up with the solution of about 5 zip ties to fix it. I forgot to take a pic of it but let me assure you, it was rather ghetto looking. I've since upgraded to a new OEM assembly for the battery tie down screw and also replaced the broken battery tray. I'm not sure what broke it, but it was either battery acid or the battery bouncing loosely in there for a while...

As a side note, is that hose from the sunroof?? It was loose like that and I replaced it into the little holder.

The hole under the tray was a little gross and wet from that drain(?) hose BUT rust free!

AUTOX!!!

PCA was the host again so more Porsche porn!:wink:

E92M in the background...

IN GRID
I was in the second run group and we all got one run in and it starting POURING for about 5 minutes then the sun came out! It was really good that I got to drive in the wet because in WA it is continuously raining. (Or so it seems!) I had an instructor ride with me on my first run in the wet and he said that I was doing really well controlling the car and keeping from spinning. I need to learn how to brake later and steer earlier/ set up for the corner sooner.

My instructor was like "come take a ride with me in my car so I can show you late apexing." I follow him over to this row of Porsches and he gets in the yellow 996 GT3! It was so fast it wasn't even funny! It wasn't fair how he could lay down the power in the rain when the 30 just goes sideways!:rofl1: That burgundy 993 has what he called a "supercup" motor and it had a beautiful lope when idling.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #13
Frizzle Fry

Very cool. No pics of the 914's? Those things can tear up the 911's on AX when built up a bit. I might know the owner of that red 914.

I've played at a PCA AX before (beat 7 other cars with 2nd run)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1exT5n2zxU

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HnobUEreOY
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
Diggerdan11

Very nice!
2011 Yukon XL Denali
2013 VW Passat TDI (Daily)
Diggerdan11 is offline   Reply With Quote