The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Heavily bored

As I have posted I t-boned some one on Monday, and I got a rental mini van. The rent a car place I went too. Either had luxury cars or cars I hated, but they had 2 Dodge mini vans aka Mom mobiles in the $35 a day rental fee my insurance covers.

Well I got word late Tuesday they were going to fix the truck, and the blah blah total damage stuff was not close enough to total the truck. As per my conversation with the adjuster. I did not ask to total the truck or mention it. Just my concerns of a bent frame. But there was a lot of small stuff that got torn up with the way i hit the van, and theynhad concerns.

Well being pissed off, and not wanting to deal with more B.S. Since I had just took a week off work due to bronchitis, and people thing I had the corona. I went on a mini 3 day road trip. It kind of sucked as still not much open, but I got to see some sights.

Plus I realized my error in getting the truck. The van is really a great option for me. The way I do stuff the van offers more flexibility. I was able to sleep in the mini van comfortably enough, and save on hotels. Plus sleeping next to a river, listening to the wildlife sounds, and skipping rocks at midnight is just great. Well when I get around to it due to finances I am seriously going to get a 2500 Express.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Heavily bored

I felt that way just kinda in reverse. I went from my full sized F150 extended cab to a minivan because of extra kids. A year later I was back in a full sized extended cab truck again, GMC this time though. Hope things go smooth for ya and works out for the van.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

In my case the van still only needs to sit 4-5 just like my crew cab can sit.

It will allow me to sleep in the back end with ac or heat on if need be. Which the truck is not comfortable to do. Unless I lay in the bed.

My plan is to pull the seats out of the van i don't need, and make a elevated bed. So I can throw stuff underneath, and lay on top. To which I likely will incorporate a sliding tool box so I can lock stuff underneath like rifles.

The 6L, and 6 speed will take care of my speed lust.

It will have compromises, but I feel there will be a few less vs the truck.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
67C10Step

Good to hear you got to decompress but sort of sorry about the truck.

I just went from a full size GMC 4x4 to a 4Runner 4x4. One of the reasons was I had a 4Runner back in the late 90's and early 2000's and it fit my lifestyle perfectly. Not to mention I didn't need a tent. Fold the back seats down and instant rough camper.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

One thing to consider is that when you go to get rid of your truck, the value will be less as a result of that accident, even if it was made back to right. If you feel up to it, look into "lost value". You can sue for that monetary difference. It could well be worth your time. If that happened to me, I'd turn my wife loose on them. I got called "bulldog" by management when I worked, because if a problem surfaced, I bit in and didn't let go until the problem was solved. My wife makes me look lazy, by comparison. There will be shreds.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
One thing to consider is that when you go to get rid of your truck, the value will be less as a result of that accident, even if it was made back to right. If you feel up to it, look into "lost value". You can sue for that monetary difference. It could well be worth your time. If that happened to me, I'd turn my wife loose on them. I got called "bulldog" by management when I worked, because if a problem surfaced, I bit in and didn't let go until the problem was solved. My wife makes me look lazy, by comparison. There will be shreds.
I plan to do that, but I have been researching how to pull it off
Old 05-22-2020, 08:24 PM   #7
Tom
driving is in my blood

At least your getting a real van and not a mini van. That's acceptable. But it really sounds like you want a suburban.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I plan to do that, but I have been researching how to pull it off
No point in getting hosed for someone else's mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
At least your getting a real van and not a mini van. That's acceptable. But it really sounds like you want a suburban.
Nudge, nudge... What he really needs is an old Chevy van with nekkid wimmen painted on the sides! And it has to have those old American Racing Equipment slot mags.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Nudge, nudge... What he really needs is an old Chevy van with nekkid wimmen painted on the sides! And it has to have those old American Racing Equipment slot mags.
I have a 1965 G10 I am working on, and laying out the wiring harness. I will start making connections Sunday.

While many times better looking then a new van. To effort to bring it up to modern standards would be monumental.

I plan to use it to cruise around local for fun, and maybe camping trips during summer. If it feels reliable enough as I cruise.

Big down sides is carrying capacity is limited, and i have to drive my mom places since she no longer drives.

As for the Suburban. Yes I do like pre-1991 models, and especiallythe 67-72 models. But I honestly do not think I would ever buy one, and for the modern ones. Then van does everything they due, but better to me. More interior volume, taller inside, and the same wheel base. While having the same tow rating. Now if they would bring the engines up to spec they would offer alot more.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I have a 1965 G10 I am working on, and laying out the wiring harness. I will start making connections Sunday.

While many times better looking then a new van. To effort to bring it up to modern standards would be monumental.

I plan to use it to cruise around local for fun, and maybe camping trips during summer. If it feels reliable enough as I cruise.

Big down sides is carrying capacity is limited, and i have to drive my mom places since she no longer drives.

As for the Suburban. Yes I do like pre-1991 models, and especiallythe 67-72 models. But I honestly do not think I would ever buy one, and for the modern ones. Then van does everything they due, but better to me. More interior volume, taller inside, and the same wheel base. While having the same tow rating. Now if they would bring the engines up to spec they would offer alot more.
I'm sure that you will make that van reliable, honestly. I was just making a kind of "hippy" joke with the old van concept. I hope that I didn't offend.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 05-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
Ziegelsteinfaust

I personally could drive the van pretty much everyday, and be fine with it. Once I make it reliable, and or confirm its reliability.

But my mom would be unhappy to ride around in a van where the heat blows directly on her legs, and AC is a fevered dream.

Although it is a exceptional little van, and I am sure I will go around solving mysteries with it.
Old 05-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #12
Axle

I'll be the one to break out of the pack, since here in Canada a minivan does not carry the same stigma it does in the US it seems. Yeah, its seen as a family mobile but it is also seen as a hauler, work van, etc. But, have you driven an express similarily? You are talking about two different families of vehicles here, especially if an urban setting is where you find yourself often. Mini van will have more parking garage options, an express, not so much. I'm not anti-express van, I drive one nearly everyday as a work vehicle. But saying you like the mini-van for going on your adventures and saying you'll go for an express van raises a red flag to me as the driving experience is two very different things.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Personally I really like the Chevy Astro Vans. More real van looking than mini van looking. You can get an AWD version and the V6 is a good engine.

Ive had two and loved them. Take the seats out in the back and you have a ton of room. They havent been made for awhile though so finding one that has low miles is getting more difficult. And when you do find low mile versions they seem to still bring pretty good money.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #14
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
I'll be the one to break out of the pack, since here in Canada a minivan does not carry the same stigma it does in the US it seems. Yeah, its seen as a family mobile but it is also seen as a hauler, work van, etc. But, have you driven an express similarily? You are talking about two different families of vehicles here, especially if an urban setting is where you find yourself often. Mini van will have more parking garage options, an express, not so much. I'm not anti-express van, I drive one nearly everyday as a work vehicle. But saying you like the mini-van for going on your adventures and saying you'll go for an express van raises a red flag to me as the driving experience is two very different things.
I drive a E250 daily for my job as a hvac tech job, and the newer Express leaves it behind. In terms of the engine/transmission after 2010, and suspension dynamics especially on the street. Plus with windows, and a slightly lowered stance it will be easier on the longer trips. Honestly I find them somewhat easier to drive then a Burb, and those things litter the ground.

The garage is a no go parking zone as that is where I keep my 69 Camaro, and tools. Plus fabrication cart.

I don't go to urban settings, and actively avoid them in my personal time. Luckily I live in the suburbs, and have enough space.

The last "Mini Van" that would survive what I would do was the Astro. Unfortunately that thing got the same mpg if not slightly less as most full size vans after the LS engines were introduced. Plus with the Express i can still tow which is a feature I use several times a year. Or even just being able to yank cars out of the dirt because they got stuck.

Would I get a mini van. Well yes I would if my life lined up with one much better. As of yet I am not remarried, and only have the one son. With prospects that I want to get with harder to find then the lost ark of the covenant. I will do things that make me happy, and worry about finding a woman in its own time.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Personally I really like the Chevy Astro Vans. More real van looking than mini van looking. You can get an AWD version and the V6 is a good engine.

Ive had two and loved them. Take the seats out in the back and you have a ton of room. They havent been made for awhile though so finding one that has low miles is getting more difficult. And when you do find low mile versions they seem to still bring pretty good money.
The awd feature is nice, but only note worthy for what I do. The mpg is not better then a LS equipped Express. Plus I own a Willys wagon I have to slot in to get put together, and I will tow this with the Express. Especially further destinations where a breakdown would be catastrophicly annoying to recover it from.

There are several downsides to the Van to be fair vs my truck.

Ability to haul awkwardly sized objects or load them. Is at a disadvantage.
Hauling greasey oily items, and worry about it later.
The van has the aura of the rapist.

Plus loss of several mpg with only a slight increase in towing capacity. While the Vans i am looking at have the 6 speed. They do not get the 4.3 DI engines till recently, and only the base version. The upgraded version has the same 6.0 we all love. If I sprung for new. It would not be out of budget, but out of what I am willing to pay at this point. As a part of the appeal is to slash monthly out going. So I can increase my 401K contributions by the same amount. I likely have a limited amount of years I can work due to a knee injury, and want to make the most of it. I have a 50% chance of forced retirement due to a knee replacement, and my financial advisor agrees it is a viable way to a decent retirement. Not the way I wanted to go down, but I am to old for college jobs.

If it was a option package the short low roof Promaster is really neat. I can almost stand up in back for the same overall height of the van.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #16
Ziegelsteinfaust

Then again I may say F-it, and keep the truck. I can add a cap to the back end, and a decked system. Or just flat get rid of it, and cruise a old truck.

I will think about it over the summer as I have to get finances in order to dump the truck. With as little pain as possible.

Also I have not ruled out getting a cheap used car like a Cruze to do the things I need reliability for, and then have what I really want at home.

Then I read a article where when things get going again. Used car values will rise, and I stand a chance to do better if I wait a couple months.