The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
testerdahl

Heat Not Working - What am I missing?

Spent a bit of time yesterday and today working the heater. I feel like I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what it is yet.

I bought a new motor and a new resistor. Today, I troubleshooted the wiring to discover a bad power connection at the switch. I snipped off the factory plug and connected with new connectors. The fan works and the switches work as best as I can tell. I ordered a new heater core today and will be here tomorrow.

If it isn't the heater core, any other ideas on things I can work on. Here's a few pics of the wiring I got to work.
Attached Images

testerdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Heat Not Working - What am I missing?

Does your blower motor come on?
You can chase the power with a multi meter.
Does your heater core get warm?
What thermostat do you have installed?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
testerdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Does your blower motor come on?
You can chase the power with a multi meter.
Does your heater core get warm?
What thermostat do you have installed?
Blower motor turns on. I went threw and chased it with my multi meter.

I can’t tell about the heater core.

Thermostat. Hmm... I don’t recall. I have a spare in the garage. Let me take a look. I replaced it on the old engine, but I don’t think I did on the new one. Great suggestion!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If this is a '64-'66, is the flap door inside the heater box moving and in the position for maximum heat?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
testerdahl

Update: I got the heat to work. Yeah. I ended up replacing the thermostat and nothing changed. I then figured it had to be the heater core or the flap door heater valve. I first looked in the flap door and this was moving. As I turned it, I could hear water rush into the heater core. I knew it had to be the heater core then.

After taking the cover off, it pretty much confirmed things. I spent a good two hours trying to clear out the heater core with air, hoses and bleach. It would not unplug. I'd get tidbits of stuff here and there, but not enough.

I got a new heater core from Oreilly, but it didn't quite fit. Pressed for time with a planned long drive tomorrow, I decided to make it work. I used tin snips and cut the cover and put it all back together. I then put it back on and voila I got heat after letting the engine warm up.

In the process, I lost access to the heater valve and defroster. This means the heat is going to be on high all the time and no defroster in the cowl.

I've decided to run with it and fix it in the spring. For this winter, I'll be warm.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Ok, so you have a '60-'63 and now you have a '64-'66 heater core in there. Did you keep your original heater core? is the Ranco valve still good?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
testerdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Ok, so you have a '60-'63 and now you have a '64-'66 heater core in there. Did you keep your original heater core? is the Ranco valve still good?
Yes, kept the original core and the valve is still good. I have a 66 C10 parts truck at the farm some 40 miles away. I'll head over there sometime this winter and pull off those heater parts. Maybe they will bolt right on and I'll just swap out my 62 heater parts for the 66 setup.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Please don't throw away that heater core. Those valves are hard to come by and can be rebuilt. I'm sure someone would buy it from you should you decide to sell it. I may be interested in it depending on the cost.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
64stpside

Quote:
Originally Posted by testerdahl View Post
After taking the cover off, it pretty much confirmed things. I spent a good two hours trying to clear out the heater core with air, hoses and bleach. It would not unplug. I'd get tidbits of stuff here and there, but not enough.
Man that's nothin as far as a clog in the core fins goes....lol. Check out what I found when I was trying to find out why I hardly had any air coming through the vents in my 1969 amc amx after I put a new blower motor in. I had already shoved a vacuum through the duct system, thought I had gotten everything. Oh, the car had been inside a storage building since 1982 on a farm. Dang mice!!!
Attached Images

64stpside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
testerdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Please don't throw away that heater core. Those valves are hard to come by and can be rebuilt. I'm sure someone would buy it from you should you decide to sell it. I may be interested in it depending on the cost.

I’ll let you know whenever I decide what to do with it.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
testerdahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64stpside View Post
Man that's nothin as far as a clog in the core fins goes....lol. Check out what I found when I was trying to find out why I hardly had any air coming through the vents in my 1969 amc amx after I put a new blower motor in. I had already shoved a vacuum through the duct system, thought I had gotten everything. Oh, the car had been inside a storage building since 1982 on a farm. Dang mice!!!
Wow. That’s crazy.