The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #1
Harleymike

restoration work begins

Curious. I am stripping the roof. Its covered in surface rust. I have some two part expoxy primer. But don't want to have to mix it up for small spots. I will do the whole cab, or large sections as i go.

What can I use for temporary protection over bare metal/old paint ?

The metal i strip the rust off, in order to make sure the rust is gone, is there a metal prep to neutralize the rust anyone recommends. Then i would prime over that?

Thanks
Harleymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: restoration work begins

You might get more answers here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=16

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #3
Dhartley70

Get some etch primer from Eastwood or a paint supply shop, they sell it in spray cans. That will help keep the rust away until you're ready to shoot your epoxy.
Dhartley70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Can he put epoxy over the etch primer?

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would check with the manufacturer of the epoxy primer to see if what you want to put down as a rust neutralizer is compatible with the epoxy.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
nail pounder

Man, there are so many opinions on do's and don'ts with painting. I am a rookie, but from what I've read, epoxy is best over clean metal. I'm sure you can shoot over all kinds of stuff though. It's pretty tough stuff. I sprayed it over 40 yr old laquer paint just to see if it would react, and nothing happened. Anyhow, I'm slowly stripping my 58 with polycarbide wheels on a air powered die grinder, and spot blasting bad areas. Then when I get a big enough area I hit it real quick with the polycarbide wheel to clean any surface rust, blow it off, wipe it down and spray epoxy. It doesn't take as long as you think to mix up a batch, spray a couple coats and clean up. The poly wheels work good and are relatively fast, better than a DA sander or chemical stripping in my opinion. I wiped it down, sprayed (maybe 20min with flash time) and cleaned up in less than 1 hour for the inside of the bed. I had extra paint mixed up so I shot the front bed panel, totally un-prepped and its on there good, can't even scratch it off unless you really dig with a screwdriver. I'm replacing that panel with a repop anyhow, it is totally hammered. I painted my 66 a couple years ago, at home in the tent/carport with single stage and it came out decent, cost was less than $500.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail pounder View Post
Man, there are so many opinions on do's and don'ts with painting. I am a rookie, but from what I've read, epoxy is best over clean metal. I'm sure you can shoot over all kinds of stuff though. It's pretty tough stuff. I sprayed it over 40 yr old laquer paint just to see if it would react, and nothing happened. Anyhow, I'm slowly stripping my 58 with polycarbide wheels on a air powered die grinder, and spot blasting bad areas. Then when I get a big enough area I hit it real quick with the polycarbide wheel to clean any surface rust, blow it off, wipe it down and spray epoxy. It doesn't take as long as you think to mix up a batch, spray a couple coats and clean up. The poly wheels work good and are relatively fast, better than a DA sander or chemical stripping in my opinion. I wiped it down, sprayed (maybe 20min with flash time) and cleaned up in less than 1 hour for the inside of the bed. I had extra paint mixed up so I shot the front bed panel, totally un-prepped and its on there good, can't even scratch it off unless you really dig with a screwdriver. I'm replacing that panel with a repop anyhow, it is totally hammered. I painted my 66 a couple years ago, at home in the tent/carport with single stage and it came out decent, cost was less than $500.

Thanks for all the help. I'm stripping mine pretty much the same way. I guess if it sits for a couple days, I can just go over it quickly to clean it up before spraying the epoxy. Like you said.
The plan at this point is to clean up the rust, take most of the original paint off. Then epoxy prime it. Then come back later to do any body work. Ive been told that body fill is ok over the epoxy. Just need to scuff it up.
Mostly small dings to deal with.

I also plan on painting it my self. Its just a driver. Project for my son and I.

Yes, seems to be lots of different thoughts on how to do things. Gets confusing.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleymike View Post
Thanks for all the help. I'm stripping mine pretty much the same way. I guess if it sits for a couple days, I can just go over it quickly to clean it up before spraying the epoxy. Like you said.
The plan at this point is to clean up the rust, take most of the original paint off. Then epoxy prime it. Then come back later to do any body work. Ive been told that body fill is ok over the epoxy. Just need to scuff it up.
Mostly small dings to deal with.

I also plan on painting it my self. Its just a driver. Project for my son and I.

Yes, seems to be lots of different thoughts on how to do things. Gets confusing.
Awesome, have fun with it! My 66 was a father/daughter project, all about making memories.
nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
Lugnutz65

I was told that once the epoxy primer was applied, that it would protect and seal the metal and that leaving the truck out in the weather would be OK. WRONG.

I now need to strip off all the epoxy and start over. I have rust issues. Glad I found it before I painted.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Harleymike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I was told that once the epoxy primer was applied, that it would protect and seal the metal and that leaving the truck out in the weather would be OK. WRONG.

I now need to strip off all the epoxy and start over. I have rust issues. Glad I found it before I painted.
Could it be rust that wasn't completely removed before applying the epoxy.
Everything I have read says it protects the car.