The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
CSHADES

1955 front brakes

I have a customer with a 55 cameo. The rear axle was changed to a newer chevy truck 1/2 ton with 5 lug wheels. The fronts are still 6 lug, I was just wondering if any one has put a newer rotor with the 5 x 5 pattern and what bearings are used?
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
57tailgater

Re: 1955 front brakes

There are many complete kits out there for this. Check CPP, Summit, etc. Do a google search for 1955 Chevy truck brake kit and you'll find 'em.
57tailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
CSHADES

every one I have looked at has been either a 6 lug rotor or a 5 x 4.75 Camaro rotor. I am looking to match the rear pattern which is the full size 70s chevy truck which is 5 x 5 . I was hoping some one had done this conversion and could tell me the bearings to use.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
mr48chev

None that I know of have the 5 on 5 as it just flat isn't popular with AD or TF truck guys.

I don't really know any way to get there except redrill the stock hubs to 5 on 5 and find a 5 on 5 slip on rotor off maybe a 75 Olds Toronado that is 5 on 5 and removable. That is a wild guess and I have no idea if you can make it work. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

Another option and hunting the hubs will drive you up the wall is figuring out what 5 on 5 GM hubs such as mid 50's Pontiac use the same wheel bearings and might fit on the spindle without a huge hassle. The Rock auto pages will show what else a part fits if you click on the blue part number https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...l+bearing,1672

Still I would very honestly say the simple solution is to junk the rear axle and put an axle under it that is compatible with 5 on 4-3/4 brakes and be done with it. Customer won't like it but it was his bad for using an axle that you can't match the bolt pattern for the front. This is something you run into when guys get a "bargain" or run what ya got without doing their homework.

If you go ahead and change things to match the rear axle charge him accordingly. There are no discounts for the headaches this one will give you before you are done.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
dsraven

sorry, I'm kinda on the same page as mr48. it is a customer who brought you something irregular. he will either have to pay your shop rate for you to spend hrs researching an outcome, or he will pay to have it done right the second time around (now). better to do the second option because the hrs you spend are hrs he won't want to pay in the end and you will feel like you are overcharging him, so you will reduce costs to save your reputation and you will lose money in the end. the hrs marked down or simply lost are also shop time that can be charged to someone who is waiting for your services.
grab a set of 6 stud axles that fit and slip them in, new brgs and seals, axle fluid etc. swap the brakes out, try to find the correct offset wheels for 6 lug, swap tires onto the wheels etc etc etc
OR
research for hrs, swap some (likely) soon obsolete or hard to source brake components onto the front. or have a custom built hub and rotor set made up and hope it all works together and there are no come backs or liabilities for your shop should something go awry.
either way is money, just not as much in your pocket at the end of the day. it is a business after all, right? you said customer, right? we gotta do what we can for the customer but they need to realize it costs money for someone to do the legwork for it all. different story if he had come to you asking you to install this hub and that caliper set and those rotors and those pads etc.

maybe better to ask him what he wants in the end and see what he has for power and vehicle weight that needs to be stopped. price out a nice set up that will work together, he will be happy with and has readily available parts. leave it with him to decide which way he wants to go.

just my thoughts. he will drive around on the same roads as our families though
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
CSHADES

This was done before he bought the truck. I don't think he even knew about the different axle until we worked on it and told him. 6 lug axle shafts from a blazer are different and do not fit in the carrier, we had a set and tried them.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
dsraven

can you swap the axle side gears inside the pumkin for a set that fit the axle splines you wanna swap to for the 6 lug? assuming the axles are the correct length etc. seems like the easiest thing to do plus he gets a diff service at the same time.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote