The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
skorpioskorpio

Windshield header repair set from GMC Pauls

Great piece and seems like a faithful reproduction of the original, has anyone but me purchased one of these? I'm curious if this represents all the unique pieces of the of the windshield frame specific to Blazers/Jimmys. In other words could the rest of the windshield frame be harvested from pickups?

After the sandblast I have a fair amount of blow through in the upper frame just beyond where the header set would repair, particularly on the passenger side and I'm wondering if I could just use cutouts from the pickups for that, or more specifically if they would be the same as what the factory used for these pieces.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: Windshield header repair set from GMC Pauls

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Great piece and seems like a faithful reproduction of the original, has anyone but me purchased one of these? I'm curious if this represents all the unique pieces of the of the windshield frame specific to Blazers/Jimmys. In other words could the rest of the windshield frame be harvested from pickups?

After the sandblast I have a fair amount of blow through in the upper frame just beyond where the header set would repair, particularly on the passenger side and I'm wondering if I could just use cutouts from the pickups for that, or more specifically if they would be the same as what the factory used for these pieces.
Didnt know those pieces were available, thanks for posting up....only one way to find out if the trucks are the same as ours, buy some junk ones for cheap and compare. Can t imagine the General retooling for a w/s post, no one has ever said the glass is differant.

LMK how you make out, b/c i have a little rust in that area as well

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Livrat
Member #1049

I have not used the reproduction pieces as of yet, but in answer to your question, Yes.. you can use any outer pieces harvested from a pickup or Suburban, The only differences between a Blazer and a pickup is the top plate behind the drip rail (a Blazer drip rail does have drain holes punched in) and the inner part where the visors/mirror mounts.. But... internally down the windshield side posts a Blazer has an extra piece sandwiched inside for more structural support.

Quote:

Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
69-72

I have a set coming to me but won't have my hands on it until early December.

Contact Kevin at Bowtie truck stop, he has a great price on the set, just don't take the one that is supposed to be coming to me lol

https://www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
skorpioskorpio

Anyone that knows my project probably already knows there is probably some strange idea I had that makes me ask this question other than the obvious, and there is. I have to do something anyway because the passenger side is Swiss cheese, well like a baby Swiss, well like this:

Name:  WP_20140303_003.jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  55.0 KB

I am seriously considering making the windshield frame, well the sides and the top bridge at least, a bolt or rivet on assembly. Why? well I'm considering de guttering the frame and then nickel or chrome plating the whole thing. To pull it off it'd probably need to first attached with adhesive and then bolted (or riveted) so that it doesn't move in relation to the bottom of the frame that would still be part of the cowl. Every convertible from GM in that period has stainless trim around the windshield and they are all gutterless. Anyway going for a look kinda like this:

Name:  xjs1.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  58.8 KB

I picked the Jag XJ-S as an example since it still has the stainless trimmed frame *and* a big rubber windshield gasket like what the result would be. It's an "out there" idea, and may end up being to impractical to pull off, the base of the windshield pillar is pretty complicated and ties into the firewall, cowl and A pillar and the only way to really pull it off I think would be to overcut the donor and layer it over the top of the original. It's a thought.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
69-72

Quote:
Great piece and seems like a faithful reproduction of the original, has anyone but me purchased one of these?

Just got mine, did yours come with about 28 random holes in it too?
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2014, 09:22 PM   #7
skorpioskorpio

Yep
Old 12-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
Blazerowner

I wouldn't mind having just the top piece to use for making a mount for a softop without drillingY original header. Too bad they don't break up the pieces.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
I wouldn't mind having just the top piece to use for making a mount for a softop without drillingY original header. Too bad they don't break up the pieces.
...and it would work well for that, lays tight in there, although it doesn't go full width without the side pieces.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #10
69-72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post

I might not be using that piece from my kit, I will let you know if it is available.

The holes don't make any sense to me. One half of it has the holes doubled up as well, I might have to email Woodall Industries and see what the rationale is behind it.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
69-72

Here are some problems I have run into so far.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=655031

Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
skorpioskorpio

Just curious, was your whole header in a state that it needed to be replaced? Were your pillars good? I'm curious because my header is not all that bad, but the corners are just gone, and I have a fair bit of blast through in the pillar, especially the passenger side, particularly where the windshield rubber was.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
69-72

I thought my header was ok. I am building this Jimmy a bit differently. The original body was so rusted that I couldn't salvage it so what I did was cut the roof off of a pickup cab and converted it into a Jimmy body. I had used a header from a windshield frame I found in a junkyard. It was in fairly good condition. I had to patch it I a couple places but I thought it was good. What drove me to replace it with the repro piece is I was doing some final fitting of the door and such and I couldn't get the top to fit, turns out the header was preventing the top from sitting right. So off it came. When comparing the header I had on the truck to the repro there is quite a bit of weight difference do I guess the header I had on it was pretty thin.

I am not sure what I would do in your situation. Welding on new pillars could be tricky, how bad is the rest of the cab?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #14
skorpioskorpio

Rockers and floor ends are gone (typical), A and B pillar ends gone (also typical) and some kick damage, all the usual suspects. Oh and some rust under the passenger seat floor. Everything is related to a leaky top caused by a dry rotted header gasket and a crappy sunroof install and the resulting wet carpet that goes along with that. The rest of the body is rust free, no door damage, no firewall damage, fenders, quarters and bed are perfect.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #15
truckeez

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-72 View Post
I might not be using that piece from my kit, I will let you know if it is available.

The holes don't make any sense to me. One half of it has the holes doubled up as well, I might have to email Woodall Industries and see what the rationale is behind it.
I believe--from what I know of that industry,the reason is--they are there to hold the blank squarely in place while the top die slams down.. but its stupid they did not manage to put those fixtures outside the EOP like they were supposed to do,,,, $$ cutting tactic that ended up as a sub standard replacement piece. I doubt they will correct it either since the tooling would have to be started over from the beginning.

IOW----> either the guy running the outfit or their tool maker is a DIMBULB.

Last edited by truckeez; 01-06-2015 at 07:26 PM.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote