The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2014, 07:58 PM   #26
Chulisohombre

Re: Replacement Body Bushings

Grade 5 should be fine. That's what mine are. Been on ten years and still good. I think they sell them on Lmc as a kit too. They are somewhat different lengths so I can't help you on that part.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #27
Chulisohombre

Check this out. Has a the sizes and lengths. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=362908
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:07 PM   #28
spenceman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by underliner6 View Post
I am in the process of replacing the body bushings on my 72. I have succesfully replaced all of the bushings except for the rear two by jacking up the body from the rockers.

What is the best place to jack up the rear to access the two bushings next to the gas tank? I'm worried that if I jack it from the bottom of the tailgate, even with a piece of 2x4 under it, it's going to put too much stress on the tailgate.

What my best option here?

Jim
Hey Jim-since you've just gone through this project, are there any tips/tricks you can share? Anything you would do differently if you had to do it again? I think this is a project I'll take on this winter, and even with my fairly limited know-how, seems that it is something I can successfully tackle.
I also have a '72, 350, sm465 and 2 inch block lift..top is off, if that matters?
Thanks!
Jason
spenceman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #29
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by underliner6 View Post
The mounts I put on are polyurethane. I never want to replace these again in my life time unless I do a frame off. I got mine from synergy suspension and its a nice kit.
Glad to hear. I have a set that has been sitting on my bench since Sept. I got the Poly because everything I've gotten that's rubber lately only lasts a few years before rotting. My bushings are so bad I had to cut a radiator hose into small squares and stack them up to make a temp bushing on the passenger side, as the original crumbled in my hand like an Oreo cookie. The temp is actually working pretty good. But it nags at me knowing it's under there. Now the water pump sprung a drip. Now the bushings will take a back seat again.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #30
Chulisohombre

Good thing water pump on these are only a 20 minute job. And only cost like 30-40 bucks
Old 12-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #31
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulisohombre View Post
Good thing water pump on these are only a 20 minute job. And only cost like 30-40 bucks
yes it's an easy job for sure. But it will take me 20 minutes to drain the water without making a mess. I'm slow.fun busy work.
jeffahart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #32
underliner6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenceman72 View Post
Hey Jim-since you've just gone through this project, are there any tips/tricks you can share? Anything you would do differently if you had to do it again? I think this is a project I'll take on this winter, and even with my fairly limited know-how, seems that it is something I can successfully tackle.
I also have a '72, 350, sm465 and 2 inch block lift..top is off, if that matters?
Thanks!
Jason
Spenceman72,

In my opinion it is not a technical job, but a job that requires patience and caution. Like many, my rockers and rockers boxes were not in the best of shape on my truck. Rusty with some bondo in there. I would recommend using multiple jacks on each side of the truck to lift the body off the frame. This will evenly distribute the pressure points on the body to avoid damage. Use a long piece of wood or steel beam to jack on instead of the body to evenly distribute the pressure again.

I can't imagine doing the job with the top off as I had the body twist and door alignment get off sync even with the top on!

Always use extreme caution when using farm jacks to jack up the body off the frame. They are very dangerous, especially when jacking the body down, but are necessary for the job unless you have a shop with lifts.

Again, not a difficult job. Just an awkward one. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

1972 K20 Cheyenne- 350/350/205
1972 K20 Cheyenne - 350/SM465/205
underliner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #33
jeffahart

Based on what I'm reading here, I may leave my doors open a couple inches. Plus I'm worried about the cowl.

I adjusted the doors for reveal and easy shutting last year. The reveal where top driver door and front quarter meet is tight. Plus the cowl is right on the quarter panels on both sides.

I have long channel iron I use for jacking the frame I'm going to try to jack the body even.

I will take before and after pictures when I do mine so everyone can see any changes in door and fender reveals.

I don't want to pinch body parts where things are already tight and decide to pinch when the body move. Because my bushings are rotten.

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2014, 12:43 AM   #34
TonyJohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Based on what I'm reading here, I may leave my doors open a couple inches...

Thanks!
Leave as much buttoned up as possible. It will help. Top on, doors closed, gate closed, etc. jmo
Old 12-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #35
1972 Banana

I did mine a few years back and will tell you, Make sure you chock the wheels as my body lifted a couple inches and kicked the transmission out of park and rolled into my truck behind it! I also found it easier to grind of the heads on top the bolts and then drive them out from above. I used some 2X4's on the frame between the bushing areas to support the body once it was jacked up. I just used a floor Jack and 4X4 for a spacer on various parts of the Body to lift, it really was not that difficult and my body came out aligned better than with worn out mounts! Just my 2 cents
1972 Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #36
jeffahart

Well I did my water pump yesterday. As I mentioned above. Thought I would make my son do since he's home from school, but we both worked on it. As I suspected, not anywhere near 20 minutes. Here's a basic wrenching session for me.

After watching the Charger and Chiefs:

In garage at 1:30
Pull truck in garage, drain radiator, clean spilled water, loosen belts for alt and air, remove brackets for air, remove fan shroud, remove radiator, remove water pump, cleanup bolts and heater hose fitting, scrape old gasket off block can clean up for install.

3:00
Wash hands change into clean jeans, head to parts store with list.
Buy: water pump, lower hose, coolant, hose clamps = $104.00

Home by 4:00 with coffee.
install water pump with paper gaskets on right side 2 seconds. wrestling with compressor brackets on left side of pump quite awhile! Tighten all belts, install shroud, radiator, hoses. Check all bolts, fill with water. Run test drive. Park truck,

hose out garage, scrub with detergent, hose again.

Back in house 6:30. Pizza and beer at 7:30

And that's how a water pump takes me and my son a half day!

Merry Christmas... Happy New Year....

jeff
Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 AM   #37
sixnineK5

I'm new to the forum but have been reading a lot lately. I bought a 69 K5 several years ago complete with the original body mounts. I picked up some energy suspension mounts and replaced them over a two day period. Mine has the hardtop which I left on during the replacement. I had to use a torch, grinder and air hammer on literally every 45 yr old nut and bolt. Once they were all removed I used a floor jack and a piece of 4x4 wood block and lifted the tub just enough to remove the old and replace with new. Replacement bolts I picked up at tractor supply. Then we had to replace the motor mounts since the fan was rubbing the shroud. After all was said and done the drivers door shuts and opens a lot better. The psgr door literally shuts on own and opens with ease. I didn't worry a lot about where to place the wood and jack I just moved it around till all were replaced. I used a hi-lift on the rear since I have no rear bumper and didn't have any problems with the tub creaking or bending.
sixnineK5 is offline   Reply With Quote