The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
Rusty Wrenches

bringing it back to life

Hey guys, I am currently looking to purchasing a 67 shorty that is very original from my knowledge with a 283 and auto trans (not sure which one). Anyhow, I went and looked at it today and the owner got it off the original owner two years ago. He hasn't done anything with it and apparently it was sitting for a few years before he got it. Well, we got it started briefly and it seemed to run pretty well actually. He was adamant about not putting gas in the gas tank to get it started which makes me wonder. How would you go about cleaning out the existing gas tank and using it? It was bone dry because I disconnected the line at the bottom of the tank to run a line to an external tank and nothing came out. I can do brakes and bearing but I am just wondering if I would need to just replace the tank right off the bat or is there something I can do to ensure its cleanliness. I really just want to get this thing back on the road without replacing unnecessary components. Trans fluid was nice and red and it did burn off a little oil when we finally got it started which is to be expected I would imagine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Im really excited about how well the body has held up on this truck and I just want to get this classic back on the road!
Rusty Wrenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
NewType72

Re: bringing it back to life

we just got my great grandpa's 73 running on the road again after 3 years of sitting in a garage ran some 91 octane down the carb to start her up and dumped about five into the tank ran smokey for a bit but came around to run unleaded now. if you're afraid of the gunk in the bottom I'd suggest pulling the tank out of the cab and flushing it out and coating the inside with a sealer to prevent it from getting any garbage in the motor

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Tinkermc

your local radiator shop is a great place to have it cleaned and coated
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Rusty Wrenches

Thanks- I have since found plenty of info on the topic. Guess I was to antsy to be patient with the search function initially.
Rusty Wrenches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Tinkermc

nothing wrong with wanting results NOW
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
BMERDOC

Yup, check out a local radiator shop. Might as well go ahead and order a sending unit a filler neck seal (gasket, grommet) and a new gas cap. I had to do the same with my 67 shorty and I will be dropping off my 68 shorty tank tomorrow. My shop charges $125 to soak and seal. Plan on rebuilding the carb and replacing any rubber fuel lines. Dont forget the line between the cab and frame.
As far as brakes are concerned, plan to change the master cylinder and the wheel cylinders because of their rubber contents. Consider replacing the three brake hoses. Examine the condition of the brake shoes and replace if you see any cracking in the material. The best place (cheapest) I've found to get these parts so far is rockauto.com.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote