The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
66clow

Ac system and radiator recommendations

My jb weld had held up well in 3 years but looking to install AC in my 69 and I want to make sure it cools correctly. Is Vintage Air and this radiator the way to go? Any other options? I want Simplicity with the AC system for the install also. And prefer a direct fit for the radiator

http://www.speedcooling.com/1967_197..._Radiator.html
Attached Images

66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Fatherflash

Re: Ac system and radiator recommendations

I cannot speak to the air conditioning system however, I am installing this radiator with dual fans and controller right now. The radiator I received fit perfectly with 4 row mounts. If you are installing with an engine driven fan and shroud, should be very simple. I have not run the engine yet because I am still configuring the fans and controller.

If you are planning on installing the offered speed cooling fans with controller for this radiator, it is time consuming with the provided wire bundle not fitting my truck as configured. I have had to replace most of the provided wiring because it just doesn't reach where it needs to go.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Bren
Old 06-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #3
66clow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherflash View Post
I cannot speak to the air conditioning system however, I am installing this radiator with dual fans and controller right now. The radiator I received fit perfectly with 4 row mounts. If you are installing with an engine driven fan and shroud, should be very simple. I have not run the engine yet because I am still configuring the fans and controller.

If you are planning on installing the offered speed cooling fans with controller for this radiator, it is time consuming with the provided wire bundle not fitting my truck as configured. I have had to replace most of the provided wiring because it just doesn't reach where it needs to go.

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Bren
Thanks, I hate wiring so I think you cleared that up for me. I wondered about the fans and you confirmed I'll leave the electric fans alone. Lol
66clow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
dmjlambert

That Engineered Cooling Product aluminum radiator is the one I installed a couple years ago in my daily driver CST/10 with a 350 engine. It came with a 15 PSI radiator cap. It works well and I have not had problems. I also installed this zinc anode in the radiator in place of the drain petcock
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I use 2/3 Prestone concentrate coolant (undiluted ethylene glycol type) and 1/3 water.
I installed an overflow container. The overflow container allows the radiator to operate with no air in the system at all. All of the air is automatically burped out. I prefer that so there is no excess oxygen in there to promote corrosion. With my 2/3 coolant mixture, there is no expansion or boiling of the coolant, and the level of fluid in the overflow container does not change when the engine is hot or cold.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 06-29-2018 at 06:22 PM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #5
dagnabbitt

If fit is a concern, there's nothing like the original.

I just got my rad re-cored and upgraded to a three core for the same price of a new two core.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote