The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #101
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: my 48 s10 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrall View Post
The cab is mounted rediculously high.
I believe this is for 2 reasons. 1. The tranny has little clearance as my motor sits now, it is such that the motor is as far forward to give clearance for the hump but enough room for the radiator and accessories.
you confused me here. Why do you think the cab is mounted too high if there's just the right clearance trans-to-hump? Looking at the pictures with the motor mounted in the truck, it does look like the cab could use to be at least 6" lower, but I guess that would mean reworking the dog-house? And maybe even some channeling would be needed?
And, thanks for all the great pics and how-to's.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #102
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
you confused me here. Why do you think the cab is mounted too high if there's just the right clearance trans-to-hump? Looking at the pictures with the motor mounted in the truck, it does look like the cab could use to be at least 6" lower, but I guess that would mean reworking the dog-house? And maybe even some channeling would be needed?
And, thanks for all the great pics and how-to's.
Sorry for the slow updates, i have had baseball every night for the past 2 months and work during the day, but work will resume very soon. As for the quoted reply the clearance is right but it needs to be reworked for the cab to sit lower. This is coming from a static drop/suspension point of view, if you are baggin, which i want to do and highly suggest then forget any part of it. So basically....the cab is REALLY high but has to be that way so you dont have to rework the cab floor.
Lrall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:05 AM   #103
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Do you have any updates on your column drop?
Thanks and keep up the progress.
column drop meaning how im mounting it? I forget how long the column is but we are mounting it at the top part of the hole in the floor and using DD joints....btw order excess DD shaft.........we didnt, whoops. Ill let you know when i get it mounted, it should look pretty trick.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #104
55dude

good to see a post from you! taking a break just give a guy time to come up with more ideas.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #105
Lrall

Wow, so its been way too long since ive worked on this but im moving it out of the highschool finally and getting it into my garage to work on it more. Friday is 'move in' day, so updates should start coming more regularly. I will have updates on the finished fuel lines/system, steering column and linkage, lowering springs, brakes and hopefully some engine stuff too
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #106
Swifty

wow, i just read your entire build and really enjoyed it. I'm about to start my S10 swap on a 51. The only thing that scares me is the S10 swap kit (the measuring issues you brought up). My other question is about engine mounts. did you use S10 V8 engine mounts? Did you mount them where they would go if going in a S10 or did you move them? i've been reading stories about issues with the distance between the engine and the firewall. I'm a complete novice to a build this big but i'm determined and willing to learn! I'm anxious to see more updates on your build! nice work so far!
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 AM   #107
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
wow, i just read your entire build and really enjoyed it. I'm about to start my S10 swap on a 51. The only thing that scares me is the S10 swap kit (the measuring issues you brought up). My other question is about engine mounts. did you use S10 V8 engine mounts? Did you mount them where they would go if going in a S10 or did you move them? i've been reading stories about issues with the distance between the engine and the firewall. I'm a complete novice to a build this big but i'm determined and willing to learn! I'm anxious to see more updates on your build! nice work so far!
If i were to do it again i would make the mounts myself. Its stupid simple. Basically make a box cut diagonally in half then bolt it or weld it to the frame as you choose. You have looked through my thread so know what they look like. As i said, if i were to do it again i would lower the body down a couple inches and just make a trans tunnel and driveshaft hump if i had to. Ill update you with the lowering springs to see where that gets me because if it lowers it enough to look alright there is no need to cut the cab up. We wont be doing anything but static suspension this time around but i think when these trucks lay running boards is cool as ****. And yes i did use s10 v8 mounts, PM me with questions on that, dont wanna make forum bosses mad

UPDATE:
didnt get to move the truck friday because my teacher got busy with a wedding, but the garage is all cleaned up ready to go. I will update with a gang of pictures when she gets 'home'.
lr
Old 09-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #108
55dude

hey good to hear from ya! your build is one of the best s-10 swaps i have read. just waiting for that u-tube video of that maiden voyage/BURNOUT!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 AM   #109
Lrall

got the truck all moved into the garage, its pretty cozy but it works. Working on a compressor, just a little guy but the napa man said it will spray and we can use it for sanding too so it should do the job. Thats how low i wish the truck was....lowering springs to come this weekend i HOPE. will take more pics with my camera tomorow
Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #110
Lrall

Hey all, sorry for not updating lately, school has been crazy along with everything else. My grandpa goes in for surgery tomorrow to get a tumor removed. Prayers are welcome
Truck updates:
3" drop springs in-lining up the tail in the correct spot always helps
UCA are rubbing on the exhaust mani's with the drop springs so were going to have to buy tubular uppers and have the bushings re-pressed(i think you can do that, maybe not) along with the ball joints. My grandpa purchased an air compressor. Its a craftsman 25 gal, runs like hell but keeps up with the sander pretty decent. I also bought a devilbiss kit; 2 guns, 2 cups, cleaning kit and 1.3 1.5 1.8 tips and needles. I undercoated the driver fender and have started filling it and should be done by this weekend ish. I'm also helping my brother body work his 99 cougar. So consequently i have quite a bit of body working going on. I will post up pics of the steering column dilemma i have run into. Not having access to a welder SUCKS....pics should be up tonight if i get my paper done!!
lr

Last edited by Lrall; 10-27-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #111
neolowrider

did you say you where guna paint with a lil compresser? i wouldnt. 1 a small one will never be able to keep up with the ampunt of air u need to paint. 2 when it runs low you get spater and u dont want that. 3 most small comp. dont has water seperation. 4 a small tank will suck in over spray and push it back out through the gun and make the paint look bad. plus it will get inside the comp and can make it run harder and hotter and even break it.

if you are going to paint with it i would rec that u use low pressure gun, put the comp outside away from where u are painting. mix all yur paint at once but spray each section one at a time. this will keep u from trying to push your self and running short of air. sweep up real good and wet everything down and sweep again. keep the ground and whatever you can wet while you paint in your area to keep dust from flying around and getting everywhere. good luck with the build and paint.
neolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 AM   #112
55dude

good to see you back! prayer going out for your gramps. i'm getting ready to head to the hospital as my sons wife is getting ready to have my first grandchild today. damm did i just write grandchild!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #113
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by neolowrider View Post
did you say you where guna paint with a lil compresser? i wouldnt. 1 a small one will never be able to keep up with the ampunt of air u need to paint. 2 when it runs low you get spater and u dont want that. 3 most small comp. dont has water seperation. 4 a small tank will suck in over spray and push it back out through the gun and make the paint look bad. plus it will get inside the comp and can make it run harder and hotter and even break it.

if you are going to paint with it i would rec that u use low pressure gun, put the comp outside away from where u are painting. mix all yur paint at once but spray each section one at a time. this will keep u from trying to push your self and running short of air. sweep up real good and wet everything down and sweep again. keep the ground and whatever you can wet while you paint in your area to keep dust from flying around and getting everywhere. good luck with the build and paint.
Yes i did say small compressor, and not to be rude but yes it will work. I have talked to multiple people and read numerous articles about spraying with a 'small' compressor. I compared the CFM ratings of my gun(s) with the compressor and it will be fine. If i start to run out of air ill wait 30 seconds and ill have my air pressure back.
As for the water separators i have one inline one that works well for my air sander and will buy another to mount right on the tank, then have the 'orange ball' paint gun filters. So moisture will not be a problem.
About the overspray getting sucked into the compressor, it wont be in my booth so that is a non-issue. I dont know why one would even do that, i have a 50 foot air hose that i will run under the plastic in my booth. Additionally i have a filter on my compressor.
I bought an HVLP from devilbiss so i know the gun will work. I dont know if you read or even if i said it but i will be priming at the home garage and doing the final coat at a body shop. I can rent it from the guy as i know him and went to HS with his son.
I have painted everything you see in the pictures but the frame so i know what it takes to prep a paint booth for paint.
Again, not trying to be rude and thanks for the tips but ive got it covered
Old 10-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #114
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55dude View Post
good to see you back! prayer going out for your gramps. i'm getting ready to head to the hospital as my sons wife is getting ready to have my first grandchild today. damm did i just write grandchild!
Good news, My grandpa is out of surgery and everything went well!! Good luck to you and yours.

I am now lookin at 'hot rod flatz' colors, pretty sweet looking i think. Post up if you have pics!!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #115
neolowrider

good to hear about your g-paw. and i wasnt tryin to rude. sorry if it cam off that way. good luck with the paint and the build. cant wait to see it all together.
neolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #116
Swifty

glad to hear your grandpa's surgery went well.
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #117
55dude

glad your gramps os ok! my sons wife had a baby girl 7# 14oz. 19" got to see her last night. guess being labeled "grandpa" ain't so bad
Old 10-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #118
Lrall

Old 10-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #119
Lrall

Old 10-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #120
Lrall

Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #121
Lrall

this is what the fenders used to look like, then i used 80 grit and a wire wheel to take it all down and now im starting to fill

this is down to bare metal

i had the turn signal holes welded up
The camera is down at the garage so i dont have pics of the body filler and work. I am working on the driver side fender now, i sprayed the inner fender with spray undercoating and must say it rocks. I taped it off more than i needed to and will come back with semi-flat paint so i can cover it all and so the spot where the inner fender meets fender and rad support it doesnt have problems because of the coating. After i get the driver fender done, (metal etch primer then epoxy primer) i will test fit the running boards and get those in expoxy primer.

Last edited by Lrall; 10-31-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:10 PM   #122
55dude

can't wait to see that u-tube video of the engine firing up! looks like all that sweat is paying off. it will keep you busy this winter and be cruising just in time for the "thaw!" in the spring.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #123
Daniel U

Thanks for all the pics. Looks like your making some good progress.
Mom's 1954 (TBI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10) 5 Chevrolet window 3/4 ton long bed Pick up
build thread ->http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=228674
My 1954 (TPI 5.7/700R4/10 bolt 3:73) Chevrolet 5 window 1/2 ton short bed Pick up
build thread->http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...3&goto=newpost
1960 (400/T350/?) Apache 10 short/fleet side-big window
1973 (TPI 5.7/700R4/14 bolt 4:10 w DANA 60 front) Chevrolet Cheyenne 4X4
2013 (Vortec 5.3/6-speed 6L90 automatic) Sierra LT CREW CAB
Doing my part to warm the globe
Daniel U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #124
Lrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowlearn View Post
Are you making a makeshift paint booth? I have a plan for one using plastic, PVC pipe and floor fans.

My plan was to do all the body work up to final prime/sealer and was thinking of building a small booth big enough for the cab and other pieces/parts.

One concern I have you may have resolved. My "work shop" is an attached garage. I was worried about paint fumes migrating into the house. Can you get a utility home made booth tight enough not to make you family sick?

Thanks for the build string, it is very helpful.

And everyone else, being a grandpa is the best!

John

I would think you could make it tight enough, how many openings do you have? As long as you duct tape the plastic to the floors and around your fans and filters and have it being sucked out you will be fine. so in other words yes
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #125
bigg4104

Nice project.
Just a quick tip for all you guys, I just finished bolting my truck together. Don't tighten all your bolt untill it's altogether. Box, fenders running boards, and splash aprons. It will save you lots of time in the long run.
I've enjoyed reading all the builds, and nobody has mentioned this.
Just my $.02.
G
bigg4104 is offline   Reply With Quote