The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
WHITE-NOISE

dana 44 question

ive got the hubs lockouts and spindles off the dana 44 out of my 71 that i was going to swap over to a new dana 44 axle out of a half ton 6 lug to convert it to 8 lug...will the older external style hubs and lockouts work with the newer internal style axle shafts? the newer axle has the bigger u-joints that i would rather use if possible, im just not sure if the outer stub shafts are the same between the 2 and dont wanna tear this other axle apart if its not going to work...........thanks alot
WHITE-NOISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
68chevyfuelie

Re: dana 44 question

So right now you have a '71 K20? And you have a newer '73+ axle, from a K10? If so, they should both measure 9 15/16". I'm assuming on the '71 you're using the snap ring nearest the end of the splines, check on the '73+ shaft you have a snap ring groove in the same spot. As long as both stubs are the same length, and have snap ring grooves in the same spot, run 'em.
68chevyfuelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
WHITE-NOISE

Re: dana 44 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68chevyfuelie View Post
So right now you have a '71 K20? And you have a newer '73+ axle, from a K10? If so, they should both measure 9 15/16". I'm assuming on the '71 you're using the snap ring nearest the end of the splines, check on the '73+ shaft you have a snap ring groove in the same spot. As long as both stubs are the same length, and have snap ring grooves in the same spot, run 'em.
correct, that summed it up pretty well!!, thanks
WHITE-NOISE is offline   Reply With Quote