The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Youey

Rust repair

How would I go about repairing where the firewall comes together with the cowl? Can I shave that smooth or do I have to add metal?
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  51.0 KB
Youey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Youey

Re: Rust repair

Here's another pic
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  52.0 KB
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youey View Post
How would I go about repairing where the firewall comes together with the cowl? Can I shave that smooth or do I have to add metal?
You can do either one depending on your goal. I like the smooth look but it's your truck.

The simplest fix is to cut out only enough to get rid of the rust and make a patch from 18 ga. sheet metal. That's a little thicker than original but it's also about the thickest you can cut with good tin snips. Take your time and beat the depression in until it matches the original.

I typed to this point before I saw the second picture. I would go for smooth with that much rust.
gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Youey

Any pics of it smooth? That's prob what ill end up doing.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youey View Post
Any pics of it smooth? That's prob what ill end up doing.
Not yet. I plan to smooth my '54 3100. My '67 has no rust (in that area) or unnecessary holes.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
elf w/capital T

You can trim it down so theres no lip, BUT, you will find that the whole firewall front and back in that area where the plugs n all are will be rusted, you may be able to drill out the spot welds, cut the rust area as desired, cut, fab and weld in a patch, if not...and theres way too much rust, theres plenty of places to buy brand new firewalls, and or just find a deal on a cab....and....just cut and replace, ive never had to do any repair where you have there....sorry...good luck...someone im sure will chime in!!

Have fun!!!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
Youey

Yeah I'm fine with metal repair I'm a hvac tech I work with it all the time. Plus I restored a pretty rusted 70 mustang that had more rust then the truck so it shouldn't be that bad just trying to get some ideas
Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
gale

I'm with elf, I've never seen one rusted across there. I first just thought it was the patch on the driver's side.

My '54 cab is on a rotisserie I fabricated. I thought the floor and kick panels were OK until I got a real close up look. Now I'll put in a smooth floor and carry it on up the firewall. I'll go with 16 ga. for less warping.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

I have the exact same rust just about 1 inch higher. I bought a cut out patch from a fellow member. I have so much rust in my cab (there, cab corners, rockers, etc.) I may need a new cab but that would require shipping one from CA or NM. It may be the right thing to do though.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I have the exact same rust just about 1 inch higher. I bought a cut out patch from a fellow member. I have so much rust in my cab (there, cab corners, rockers, etc.) I may need a new cab but that would require shipping one from CA or NM. It may be the right thing to do though.
Trucks in central TX are usually surface rust only. You might just go get it. A cab fits nicely sitting crossways in a wide bed pickup.

I may do that for my '67 since I need to replace the floor, cab corners, and rocker panels. I've already bought the corners and rockers and the welding is not a problem for me. Then I uncovered the floor much worse than I thought. That one is on hold until I finish the '54.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Youey

My cabs not in bad shape which is wierd. I'm replacing corners due to being
Smashed in not due to rust. Overall it's not bad someone already replaced the rockers which aren't 100% done but it's only to take me to weld the rest of it in.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gale View Post
Trucks in central TX are usually surface rust only. You might just go get it. A cab fits nicely sitting crossways in a wide bed pickup.

I may do that for my '67 since I need to replace the floor, cab corners, and rocker panels. I've already bought the corners and rockers and the welding is not a problem for me. Then I uncovered the floor much worse than I thought. That one is on hold until I finish the '54.
Good to hear man. I love this truck and couldn't imagine not doing the best I could on it.

The funny thing is, I'd had it in my garage since 2006, and I'd just stepped around it so much, I nearly forgot I had it. Now, I can't stop thinking about it. I've even gone to great lengths to beef up structural security of the garage to protect it with a lot more planned. Even though there is no way anyone could take it now, with it being in pieces, short of a wrecker or a rollback!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Youey

Ah today sucked took out the factory ac box and tons of rust behind it . Gonna have to cut that section out and hopefully get a patch panel for that area.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
The funny thing is, I'd had it in my garage since 2006, and I'd just stepped around it so much, I nearly forgot I had it.
Must be true, there's a time and a season for everything. Apparently the time wasn't right yet for that truck.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Tinkermc

Not that hard to repair correctly but it is YOUR truck fix it how you like.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote