The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #1
beaterku

Pitman Arm location on shaft question

I am buttoning up the front end of my truck and noticed that the Moog pitman arm does not go on the Redhead steering shaft as far as it should. The drag link runs slightly down hill from passengers to driver side. The stock box and arm showed about a quarter inch of threads when torqued down. This new setup is flush with the nut.

My gut is to remove it all and inspect to Make sure there are no burrs on the shaft and arm. Is this enough to worry about?

Thanks!
Nick
Attached Images

beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Jrainman

Re: Pitman Arm location on shaft question

this is fairly normal with a new arm , I had the same tight tolerance issue , I had to loosen and tighten the nut 4 to 5 times beafore I got threads below the nut line where I felt comfortable ,and this was with a 900 lb neumatic torque gun.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
this is fairly normal with a new arm , I had the same tight tolerance issue , I had to loosen and tighten the nut 4 to 5 times beafore I got threads below the nut line where I felt comfortable ,and this was with a 900 lb neumatic torque gun.
Appreciate it. I've taken it off several times and put some grease on the splines. I'll torque it down and see how she blows.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
Wrenchbender Ret

Make sure you have a major brand pitman arm. There is some real junk out there. I put some steering parts on a 92 pickup one time & in one years time they were wore out worse than the ones replaced. They were half the price of Moog & "just like original equipment."
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
beaterku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Make sure you have a major brand pitman arm. There is some real junk out there. I put some steering parts on a 92 pickup one time & in one years time they were wore out worse than the ones replaced. They were half the price of Moog & "just like original equipment."
I learned my lesson with cheap parts many moons ago. I see you are in Lenexa as well!