The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
homemade87

Re: Replaced pinion seal but did I do it right?

Best way is to mark pinion verse nut . I did not see where you marked the pinion . I take a Sharp chisel and mark the pinion and nut . Yoke to housing can move and give false reading . If you can still turn the nut buy a ratchet it is still to loose . I usually have to hit it a couple times with a impact to get the marks to line back up .

At this point I would tighten it as much as you can with the ratchet . Counting threads don't get it . We are only talking 1/8 of a turn difference if that to be correct . Then bump it with a impact or with a breaker bar . Most will tighten it past about 1/16 of a turn past the original .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
BigRandy

Re: Replaced pinion seal but did I do it right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemade87 View Post
Best way is to mark pinion verse nut . I did not see where you marked the pinion .l .
I left that out by mistake but I did mark it. Even though it didn't feel right I put it back like it was because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. I'll pull the driveshaft and snug it up some more but I'm entering uncharted water since I don't know how much is too much.
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote