The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
BarryB

How many gardeners we have on here? I've got a question.

I put in a small garden this year about 20 x 20. A friend of mine has horses, so I got a truck load of dried horse manure, and tilled it in to the dirt. Now since we have been getting alot of rain lately. My garden is be over taken by weeds.I can't keep up with the weeding. My thoughts of what I would try unless told not to. Is to line the whole garden with old newspapers, and then cover that with straw. Hoping to choke off the weeds and just let the vegetable plants stick thru the "liner". I probably hit the local recycle bins for all the newspaper.
Hey Rob,(tnblazer) If you read this, I got something for you do if you get Bored.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: How many gardeners we have on here? I've got a question.

It is taken over by weeds because of the manure. Animals eat vegetation, seeds are not broken down in the animal's digestive tract, and are re-deposited in the soil when you spread their manure. At least that's how it is with steer manure. I would assume it is the same with horse manure. Good luck, weeds suck!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i grow my stuff in containers easy on the weeds and bugs
have you tried taken a soil sample and check the ph levels
might have to add limestone or other stuff

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #4
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
It is taken over by weeds because of the manure. Animals eat vegetation, seeds are not broken down in the animal's digestive tract, and are re-deposited in the soil when you spread their manure. At least that's how it is with steer manure. I would assume it is the same with horse manure. Good luck, weeds suck!
Yeah I know what your saying and knew that when I put it in. So thats why I asked about covering it with newspaper, then straw. Like parking a truck in the yard, then moving it after couple months and having that bald spot in the yard.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

Two rules in life.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I think your idea will work.people lay that black plastic,but your idea will serve the same purpose.I`ve heard of newspapers under mulch to control weeds in flower gardens.My only question would be the ink toxins?The idea is to block the sun.the weeds may be there from undigested seeds,but there`s always weeds and the manure has fertilized them along with your plantings.i never had a problem growing weeds w/o manure...right?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I use hay that has gotten wet and moldy so I can't feed it to my mules. It works real well. If you have a garden hose close, wet the hay or straw after you put it down and that keeps the wind from blowing it around. Even after it dries it will lay flatter to the ground and stay put.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
1956cameo

You definately need some sort of ground cover. In my organic gardening books they say you need it for multiple reasons. To block weeds, keep moisture in the soil, insulate roots from extreme temps, and to reduce parasites. The books recommend using mulch or bark like you see in landscaping around houses; but you can use straw or newspaper. The books recommend that it be at least 2-3 inches deep to adequately prevent weeds from breaking thru.

I know that you already know that the weeds most likely are coming from the manure so I will not re state that. However this is a classic example of why it is recommended that you only use manure that has been composted. When it breaks down in compost it gets hot enough that it not only kills seeds, it also kills harmful bacteria, bugs, and fungus that may be in the manure.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

peat moss is great for cover

Old 06-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70blowngmc View Post
peat moss is great for cover
x 2. Also, I stopped using manure and have about 90% less weeds Using composted manure sounds like a great idea. Maybe I will try that in the future.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
BB72CHEVKT

That will work fine. The newspaper print is soy based and just fine for the soil, plants and you.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
I know that you already know that the weeds most likely are coming from the manure so I will not re state that. However this is a classic example of why it is recommended that you only use manure that has been composted. When it breaks down in compost it gets hot enough that it not only kills seeds, it also kills harmful bacteria, bugs, and fungus that may be in the manure.
Well this pile of manure I got had been sitting for some time. a year or two But it was under a overhang of the barn so it stayed dry. Probably didn't get hot enough to compost properly.
I'm gunna get the Newspaper and straw and try to get that done this weekend.
Thanks Guys

Two rules in life.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
1956cameo

Good luck with the garden. I am pretty sure it never got hot enough when it composted, because to compost properly it has to be more than just manure. Also when it composts the way it should it will get so hot it will burn your skin (or at least make it very uncomfortable).

Also with it staying in a shed out of the rain the seeds in the manure werent able to germinate. After two years you would think the seeds would be dead but they usually aerent. It is not uncommon for seeds that are 10-20 years old to germinate. Scientists have even been able to get seeds found in Egyptian tombs and unearthed roman cities that are thousands of years old to germinate and grow!
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I put in a small garden this year about 20 x 20. A friend of mine has horses, so I got a truck load of dried horse manure, and tilled it in to the dirt. Now since we have been getting alot of rain lately. My garden is be over taken by weeds.I can't keep up with the weeding. My thoughts of what I would try unless told not to. Is to line the whole garden with old newspapers, and then cover that with straw. Hoping to choke off the weeds and just let the vegetable plants stick thru the "liner". I probably hit the local recycle bins for all the newspaper.
Hey Rob,(tnblazer) If you read this, I got something for you do if you get Bored.

every garden i have ever made has had weeds in it , cut the weeds with a weedeater and rake the weeds out then till the center of the rows and then
put the paper down and straw or grass clipings on the paper then at the end of the year till it all up again

heres a good site on gardens
http://www.weekendgardener.net/veget...den-050705.htm
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
BarryB

Thanks Rob for the link, just to let you know, the weedeater is in the back shed.I believe it still has gas in it, and I left the rack right outside the garage door, You know just in case you get bored and you feel frisky.

Two rules in life.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
big blue 72

got my first bell pepper this week and i have tomatoes about the size of golf balls i might fry up just cause i got them, and i'm in O-H-I-O!.
But i start my garden in march.
Mulch everywhere you can .
I use ALL my grass clippings down the centers of the rows, and i have two compost piles things, one barrel composter and what you might call compost "in situ"/in sight/on site.
dump the weeds and stuff next to the sides of the plants, helps with keepin weeds under control.I also hav had fresh salad greens, sugar snap peas, kale, broccoli i've had to trim and take cuttings from, chard, beet greens,spinach,radishes and a perpetual lettuce variety that is soo cool.
SPecially with my chef daughter.
We do a lot of stir fries, and veggies dishes.
Panel truck Club
6 cylinder Club
Unfinished Projects Club
Outdoor Sportsmens Club
big blue 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #16
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by big blue 72 View Post
got my first bell pepper this week and i have tomatoes about the size of golf balls i might fry up just cause i got them, and i'm in O-H-I-O!.
But i start my garden in march.
Mulch everywhere you can .
I use ALL my grass clippings down the centers of the rows, and i have two compost piles things, one barrel composter and what you might call compost "in situ"/in sight/on site.
dump the weeds and stuff next to the sides of the plants, helps with keepin weeds under control.I also hav had fresh salad greens, sugar snap peas, kale, broccoli i've had to trim and take cuttings from, chard, beet greens,spinach,radishes and a perpetual lettuce variety that is soo cool.
SPecially with my chef daughter.
We do a lot of stir fries, and veggies dishes.

Do you compost those clippings first? (the grass clipping you use in the rows)
If they are semi-fresh I could see that being a slip & fall type hazard. Ask me how I know.
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
tnblazerk5
User #12137

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Thanks Rob for the link, just to let you know, the weedeater is in the back shed.I believe it still has gas in it, and I left the rack right outside the garage door, You know just in case you get bored and you feel frisky.
i can bring my own weedeater
just leave that th350 and stall out there , the built one we were talkin bout
and your garden will get takin care of
tnblazerk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnblazerk5 View Post
i can bring my own weedeater
just leave that th350 and stall out there , the built one we were talkin bout
and your garden will get takin care of
As bad as it is out there that almost sounds like a deal. Keyword there is "almost".

Two rules in life.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #19
BarryB

Hey guys since alot of you guys like pictures, I took a pic of my progress today. I weeded most of the weeds, lined the entire bed with Newspaper, and then spread 2 1/2 bales of straw over it. After all that I took the water hose and sprayed down everything to keep it in place. So lets just hope I eliminated, or at least slowed down my problem. I'll probably let what straw is down to settle then take the remaining straw and psread it over that. Thanks guys for all your ideas and links.
Attached Images

Two rules in life.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #20
sinned4me

Grandpa used sheet rock (new not used) cut to width to cover in between his rows. Tilled it in at the end of the year. Used to say helped with lime or something.
sinned4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #21
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinned4me View Post
Grandpa used sheet rock (new not used) cut to width to cover in between his rows. Tilled it in at the end of the year. Used to say helped with lime or something.
a little dash of salt and bottle of tequilia and lets party like its 1999