The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Chris.

235 question

so I have a 50 3100 that I slowly learned (as I learned more about these trucks) that some body did a lot of changing such as the fact that it has vent window doors and that it used to be blue not brown and the guy I bought it from had a title since 1984 that said brown so it must have been the guy before him. anyway I did some looking today and found as many castings on this engine as I could

Block = 3769716 that I found is a 58-62 235

Head = 3836848 that I found is correct for block

Prefix/suffix = F0309A I found that meant produced in Flint, and that it was made on March 9th, and I think A means stand model engine?

How can I determine the year?

Finally I found this on the head above the Block# B57 848 850 haven't been able to find out what it means

The other part of this question is; is this a good engine to start off with for a mild performance rebuild?

Thanks for any info,
Chris
Chris. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
tinyjaime

Re: 235 question

I just looked it up the in the parts catalog I received from Patricks. The 3836848 is from the cylinder head and it is from a 1956 235 engine.

CON # I just do not remember where I read it, if I remember correctly it stands for the conveyor number.

The second set of cast (raised) numbers from the rear or the passengers side will tell exactly when the block was made. The letter will be the month A = Jan, B=Feb, C = March etc. the next 1 or 2 numbers will be the day and the last number will be the year. Any motors masde in late September ("I") was put in a newer year model. As an example if you had a 1955 casting on a motor with a date code in late September it will be in 1956 body, so blocks with a date code of I,J,K and L will be in the next years models.

The casting number on the block will be the 7 digit block casting number just next to the distributer towards the front of the motor and it will begini with a 3-7-x-x-x-x-x or a 3-8-x-x-x-x-x.

The engine serial number will be stamped and it is located to the side of the distributor towards the rear of the mortor and its above the dip stick tube.
tinyjaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyjaime View Post
I just looked it up the in the parts catalog I received from Patricks. The 3836848 is from the cylinder head and it is from a 1956 235 engine.

CON # I just do not remember where I read it, if I remember correctly it stands for the conveyor number.

The second set of cast (raised) numbers from the rear or the passengers side will tell exactly when the block was made. The letter will be the month A = Jan, B=Feb, C = March etc. the next 1 or 2 numbers will be the day and the last number will be the year. Any motors masde in late September ("I") was put in a newer year model. As an example if you had a 1955 casting on a motor with a date code in late September it will be in 1956 body, so blocks with a date code of I,J,K and L will be in the next years models.

The casting number on the block will be the 7 digit block casting number just next to the distributer towards the front of the motor and it will begini with a 3-7-x-x-x-x-x or a 3-8-x-x-x-x-x.

The engine serial number will be stamped and it is located to the side of the distributor towards the rear of the mortor and its above the dip stick tube.
thanks for the info, but I unfortunately found contradicting info before posting this question so now I'm even more confused
Old 12-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
tinyjaime

Inliners.org has casting numbers cross reference that i did not check. I was looking at a parts catalog from particks antique cars and trucks they are in az. They sell parts for the 235. Those are my references. Good luck and if you find out where the conflict is post it so i can know.
Posted via Mobile Device
tinyjaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
mr48chev

The truck was probably either Mariner Blue (dark) or Windsor blue (lighter) when it left the factory. Some of these trucks got painted a lot of times and a lot of colors over the years though. It looks like some previous owner took the time to do the color change on the title rather than leave it as the original color.
My green 1-1/2 ton left the factory dark blue.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
so I have a 50 3100 that I slowly learned (as I learned more about these trucks) that some body did a lot of changing such as the fact that it has vent window doors and that it used to be blue not brown and the guy I bought it from had a title since 1984 that said brown so it must have been the guy before him. anyway I did some looking today and found as many castings on this engine as I could

Block = 3769716 that I found is a 58-62 235

Head = 3836848 that I found is correct for block

Prefix/suffix = F0309A I found that meant produced in Flint, and that it was made on March 9th, and I think A means stand model engine?

How can I determine the year?

Finally I found this on the head above the Block# B57 848 850 haven't been able to find out what it means

The other part of this question is; is this a good engine to start off with for a mild performance rebuild?

Thanks for any info,
Chris

It doesn't really matter what the year is. 58-62 is the better block as is the 848 head. This block was drilled from the factory for hydraulic lifters. Prior years only automatic trans motor were drilled. If you want to hipo a 235 this is the combination you want to start with.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Chris.

thanks for the good info