The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
Bonello711

62 led turn signal issue!

Have an aftermarket Everlasing Turn Signal Switch. Turn signals worked fine until I installed LED's. Also installed a new LED Flasher switch as recommended. Now the rear turn signals work fine but when I try to use the fronts BOTH left and right flash at the same time!

Anyone have any ideas or had the same problem?
Bonello711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: 62 led turn signal issue!

How many turn signal indicator lights are in your truck's instrument cluster?

The reason I ask is because the 1962 & 1963 truck instrument clusters usually only had a single indicator that was wired up so it would flash when making a turn in either direction.

The single indicator light was connected with one side of the bulb going to the left front turn signal and the other side to the right front turn signal. This arrangement only works correctly with regular filament bulbs since it relies on the non-active side to provide a ground path (through it's filament) for the dash indicator bulb. With LED's, the single indicator bulb basically provides a path that connects both front turn signals together. And since LED's don't require much current, the non-active side can still draw enough current (through the indicator bulb filament) to allow it to light up.

To see if this is what's causing the issue, you can temporarily unplug the turn signal indicator bulb socket from the cluster and remove the bulb. If that makes the turn signals operate correctly, you'll have to come up with an alternative for the in-dash indicator. Wiring it up like the other years (that used separate left & right indicators) should do the trick so long as you can find a spot in the cluster for the extra indicator.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
Bonello711

Re: 62 led turn signal issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
How many turn signal indicator lights are in your truck's instrument cluster?

The reason I ask is because the 1962 & 1963 truck instrument clusters usually only had a single indicator that was wired up so it would flash when making a turn in either direction.

The single indicator light was connected with one side of the bulb going to the left front turn signal and the other side to the right front turn signal. This arrangement only works correctly with regular filament bulbs since it relies on the non-active side to provide a ground path (through it's filament) for the dash indicator bulb. With LED's, the single indicator bulb basically provides a path that connects both front turn signals together. And since LED's don't require much current, the non-active side can still draw enough current (through the indicator bulb filament) to allow it to light up.

To see if this is what's causing the issue, you can temporarily unplug the turn signal indicator bulb socket from the cluster and remove the bulb. If that makes the turn signals operate correctly, you'll have to come up with an alternative for the in-dash indicator. Wiring it up like the other years (that used separate left & right indicators) should do the trick so long as you can find a spot in the cluster for the extra indicator.
THIS WAS EXACTLY THE ISSUE. Once I unplugged the single in dash indicator, the front signals functioned properly. Since the aftermarket turn signal assembly clicks/flashes on its own, I'll just leave the bulb out of the dash indicator until I come up with a fix. Thanks again...
Bonello711 is offline   Reply With Quote