The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
clemsparks

Need photo help: 1989 Accessory Drive

Hey all,

I'm working on my '89 Shortbed. I got the project with the engine disassembled for a head gasket replacement. Now I'm putting back together the puzzle. Heads and intake are on. It's time to reinstall the serpentine accessory drive. I'm piecing it together, but could use some help in the way of photos of your stock TBI accessory drive.

I've been poking around for hours on google images and I'm getting some clues, but I bet a few of you here could get me photos that would REALLY help.

My '89 has the STEEL bracketry (not the later aluminum braketry). I've got most of it figured out, but not the braces that run from the backside of the A/C, Tensioner, and Alternator.

If someone could post a photo of the top of the engine from BEHIND the accessory drive, that would be really helpful.

Here's what I have now:

I think I've got the A/C Compressor support rod right. I'm not too sure about the one for the Tensioner, but it might be right.

I don't know where this rod goes:

And there is this bracket. I don't know if it is part of the accessory drive support of if it goes somewhere else:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Clem
Old 04-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
petee

Re: Need photo help: 1989 Accessory Drive

Looking at my 89 you have the AC correct. The tensioner should have 2 braces, one of them goes through that hole on the big bracket. My alternator has 3 braces that connect to the top making a tripod effect with 2 connecting to the intake manifold and the 3rd connect to the 1st post on the exhaust manifold. The bracket in pic 3 looks like the power steering bracket that also connect to the 1st post on the exhaust manifold going under the alternator brace.My phone needs to be charged I will try to take pics later.
petee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
clemsparks

Thanks!

Even without the photos that helps a lot. It'll get me started in the right direction.

I have a feeling I'm missing some of the brace bars. I'll dig around the truck some more and see if I can find any more, lol.

Quite the puzzle.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
petee

Hope this helps and thatI uploaded the pictures correctly so you can see them.
petee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
clemsparks

Thanks again.

I really appreciate the help!

The photos are quite helpful. I can tell I'm missing at least a couple of rods. I did find one more since the last post. I guess I'll have to see if I can get to a pick and pull sometime soon to round up what I don't have.

Thanks!