The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Noreastern Rider

1989 Chevy Headlight Woes Please Help

So I was driving my truck to work yesterday and my Radio goes out, but I didn't have any time to troubleshoot it because I was late to work. But then I go to drive home last night and I realize that the headlights and parking lights are not working. So I've been trying to troubleshoot this all day but I am stumped. I checked the courtesy fuse and the parking light fuse and they were not blown. So I got out my meter, now all the fuses are reading 12 to 12.5 volts on the battery side but the courtesy light fuse and the parking light fuse read 9.5 volts. But when you try to turn on the headlights, parking lights, or open either door that voltage disappears.
Now I removed the headlight switch and confirmed that it was working properly by testing for continuity. So I the put power to the headlight wire and the parking lamp wire they both worked fine.

Has anyone else ran into this problem before?

Thanks
Vin
Noreastern Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #2
ChevyTech

Re: 1989 Chevy Headlight Woes Please Help

Check all the connections under the hood on the passenger side of the firewall at the junction block which may still have a black plastic cover over it. There are fusible links at the junction block also. I have found several trucks with connection problems at the junction block studs when the nuts were not all that loose, but I have also found many with loose nuts.

Fusible links are pieces of wire that burn to protect the circuit. Feel all the wires at the junction block to see if you find a bad one. They could be melted off inside and hard and stiff near the ends.

I see it’s your first post. Welcome to the message board.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Noreastern Rider

Chevytech thanks for the response, Yea Ive been lurking around for a while now but this was actually the first time that I couldn't find the answer on the board, I've found this forum very helpful. And it looks like you've found my problem I did not realize that the wires there were fusible links.

Thanks again
Vin
Noreastern Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

ChevyTech to the rescue!! We're lucky to have him help out on this forum.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
ChevyTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreastern Rider View Post
Chevytech thanks for the response, Yea Ive been lurking around for a while now but this was actually the first time that I couldn't find the answer on the board, I've found this forum very helpful. And it looks like you've found my problem I did not realize that the wires there were fusible links.

Thanks again
Vin
You’re welcome!

I’m glad you find the site helpful.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote