The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2008, 04:03 AM   #1
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Frame rivets - easy ways to remove

I will have a few frame rivets to remove on my frame and thought I'd ask the brain trust some of the easier ways to accomplish this...based on the available tools. I have 2 to remove on this temporary frame, but will have a bunch to remove when I start on the original frame and build in the coming weeks.

I own a sawzall, a dremel w/cut off wheels, a couple of drills and various bits, plus the related misc. hand tools (hammers, chisels, punches, etc). Can I get the rivets cut loose and out of the frame and hardware with what I have w/o too much trouble? Or do I need to buy a torch to heat them up, an air chisel to cut them off and knock them out with...or maybe a plasma cutter to just blast through everything?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
bedsled71

Re: Frame riviets - easy ways to remove

i cut the tops off with a sawzall and then hit them out with a punch and they usually pop right off
bedsled71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
jlaird

Here is the best way I have found. take a angle grinder (with grinding disc) and grind an X in the top of the rivit. Then take a chisel and hammer and knock each of the four pieces off. Take your grinder again and grind down the remaining flush with the frame. Then take a punch and hammer and slam that bad boy out. Should take a couple minutes for each rivit after you get the hang of it.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:12 AM   #4
project1968

I just put bags on my truck and relocated the shocks so I had to remove several rivits. I tried all the above mentioned tools and methods. The air chisel was the fastest and best by far for me. I used a flat chisel to knock the head off and a bull point to punch it out.

Last edited by project1968; 05-16-2008 at 05:13 AM. Reason: spelling
project1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
pissonNOS

you must have a better air chisel than me haha, it was taking me for ever with the flat one so i ground the heads off with an angle grinder then just popped the rivets out with the rivet attachment
Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 AM   #6
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

thanks guys. I guess I'll add an air chisel to my air tool collection.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #7
Shane
Account Suspended

X's on the heads ... a sharp cold chisel and a B.F.H. ... then follow up with a punch to remove what's left.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
Here is the best way I have found. take a angle grinder (with grinding disc) and grind an X in the top of the rivit. Then take a chisel and hammer and knock each of the four pieces off. Take your grinder again and grind down the remaining flush with the frame. Then take a punch and hammer and slam that bad boy out. Should take a couple minutes for each rivit after you get the hang of it.
I say this is the best way too, but what I think is easier to use is one of them little air disc cut-off tools.. you will have wayy more uses for that thing then you would an air chisel! they can get in every hard to reach place, cut fast and they don't cost much!

I even cut out my c-notches and sheet metal with that thing! show me an air chisel that can do that!!
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
oldspowered67C10

The air hammer w/ a chisel bit is the way to go. But you need a good one, I have a Matco one that works well but Ive used some cheap ones that were worthless.
The beauty of it is that while its smacking the hell out of the rivet to knock the head off it loosens it up and makes it alot easier to knock through once the head is removed.
Ive used the cutoff wheel/grinding wheel method before but sometimes even w/ both heads ground off the rivet still wont come out, especially if youre just trying to knock a rivet through rather than removing a rivet and the piece that the rivet is holding on.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
HotRodYJ

Re: Frame rivets - easy ways to remove

I use a grinder when I can and a sharp air chisel for the ones I can't get to with the grinder. The key on the air chisel is keeping the chisel sharp. A dull chisle won't cut anything. On the grinder just cut one of the heads off completely and grind it flush until you can see the outline of the actual hole, then knock the rivet thru with a punch.

My junk: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480902
HotRodYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #11
SCOTI

Good question & great ideas.

What about the rivets on the trailing arm crossmember? How have any members here removed the rivets on these (since there's limited access to the tops of the rivets because of the body)?

I usually cut the rivet flush & then drive out the remaining portion w/the punch tip of my air hammer. But when going through several layers of steel, I've found the rivets like to get caught up between the subsequent layers. I would like to avoid this when laying under the truck.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-16-2008 at 05:57 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

What about the rivets on the trailing arm crossmember? How have any members here removed the rivets on these (since there's limited access to the tops of the rivets because of the body)?

I usually cut the rivet flush & then drive out the remaining portion w/the punch tip of my air hammer. But when going through several layers of steel, I've found the rivets like to get caught up between the subsequent layers. I would like to avoid this when laying under the truck.....

I would like to know this too, cuz I'm about to put in a new crossmember.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
project1968

A good air chisel will make you put down the grinder and a bad one will make you pick it up. I have both and the bad one which is a craftsman wont cut butter, but my good one knocks the heads off in no time...and helps remove alot of rust and old crud. If you do decide to grind, make sure you protect your back glass..
project1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

I recently removed a trailing arm crossmember, granted the cab was off but I think it is still possible with the cab on. Anymore I use my plasma cutter for most everything, but I used to use a torch in the same way. I just burn both heads off and then blow a hole straight thru the center of the rivet. By doing this it relieves some of the outward pressure of the rivet on the hole thru both pieces. Then you can use a punch and hammer to knock the rest out.

On the trailing arm crossmember it may be easier to remove the bulk of it between the frame rails to allow better access to the rivets....that is assuming you aren't wanting to keep the crossmember. Also to eliminate damage to the underside of the cab from the torching of the rivets, just place a adequate size piece of steel between the top of the frame and the cab spaced up off of the frame.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #15
smoknbarrels
Registered Mail

I've used a torch for most of my rivits to tell you the truth, and since I put in a c-notch, shortened the frame, and knocked off the shock mounts...I think there are only about 3 rivits left!

but yea the torch was actually the fastest to be honest.. because when it was still hot, you could put a punch on that rivit, and even though it was sometimes squished between layers (like the ones holding the rear spring cups in) they will just fly outta there when you swing your mo fo hammer!
works best as a two man job though.
smoknbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #16
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Depending on where the rivits are, I use a 7" grinder & a punch
If I cant get a grinder to them, then I use a torch

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
ripdog28

you guys like making messes and getting hoses out huh?
Easiest way I have found is take a drill with a good size bit (forgot what size i used but a little smaller then the head) to one end of the rivet drill till your atleast into the frame and a hammer will knock off the head you drilled into and punch out the other.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdog28 View Post
Easiest way I have found is take a drill with a good size bit (forgot what size i used but a little smaller then the head) to one end of the rivet drill till your atleast into the frame and a hammer will knock off the head you drilled into and punch out the other.
A drill works for easily accessible rivets, but doesn't work well for the ones under the cab or inside the framerail.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #19
ripdog28

True, I may have missed if he had a tight space but im thinking Frame Off which i am doing atm. I tend to relate to my own projects
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #20
TH53

Grinder and a air chisel/punch with an x in the head like jlarid said, easiest way i've found. If they are hard to get to or give me a hard time i just turn the plasma on them.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 AM   #21
scotts62
One day...

Yep TH53, gotta love the Plasma's! dont know what id do without mine

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #22
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Got under there today and took a good look at those top rivets on the trailing arm crossmember. Wow those look like a ***** to get out. I really don't want to take my cab off just to get at 4 rivets. Plasma is not an option for me, and a drill definitely won't fit in there. Anyone actually done this w/the cab on??

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #23
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
Got under there today and took a good look at those top rivets on the trailing arm crossmember. Wow those look like a ***** to get out. I really don't want to take my cab off just to get at 4 rivets. Plasma is not an option for me, and a drill definitely won't fit in there. Anyone actually done this w/the cab on??
Yes. It can be done. I used the X-then-chisel method. You can also use a 12" long drill bit through the lower holes to drill the uppers. It is a real PITA. It was the hardest part of my leaf to trailing arm project...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #24
67dragtruck

Either early classic or cpp was advertising a super duper air chisel along with their parts and saying it sliced right through those rivets. Does a REALLY good one actually do them easily? The best way I have found is a plasma to knock the heads off followed by an air chisel to knock them out. I've removed one of the manual tranny crossmember in 5-10 minutes with that method. I no longer have a plasma so I'd love to buy a wicked air chisel if they are truly that good. Anyone?
No more dragtruck for me. I'm building a new ride though. It's a '71 fleetside, 400 sbc, 700R4. Working on it now, finally. Soon to have Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI, Vintage Air, 1 piece windows, buddy buckets, etc.

My new build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...17#post2861817

Best pass with the old dragtruck:
5.32 @ 131.6 mph 1/8 mile w/ a 1.25 60' Fogger/Plate 2003

Best pass with the street 406 hydraulic roller motor w/ mild plate tuneup
5.93 @ 114 mph 1/8 mile w/ a 1.29 60' 2003 or 2004
67dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

There is definately a difference in a good air chisel. The cheapy/junk ones are not much more than a vibrator. You would think that this is really all there is to it...but apparently not. We tested a few of them several years ago at the shop where I worked. There was a big difference even using the same chisel.
I don't know why though? Longer stroke? more mass to the piston itself? What-ever it is, it matters.

Quote:
An extension cord is really that much difference? Plus, you already have the air hose and air chisel (punch) to knock out the rest.

Quote:
Spoken by a guy who can sharpen his own drill bits. You would be surprized by how many that can't.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote