The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #26
Molino

Re: Am I screwed?

Many years ago I would assist a cousin of mine paint cars. I did mostly sanding and masking. When he laid down metallics, the cars would look very blotchy as if the metallic was piling up in certain areas. Then he would mix up a cup of very thinned down paint and while saying “watch this” he’d spray that onto the car and the metallic would flow out evenly like magic. In the blink of an eye the paint job went from nasty to amazing. I’m not sure if the metallic is doing the same for you but surely someone on the billboard may have some insight as to get metallics to flow out evenly.
Russ
Molino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:11 AM   #27
Castle09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molino View Post
Many years ago I would assist a cousin of mine paint cars. I did mostly sanding and masking. When he laid down metallics, the cars would look very blotchy as if the metallic was piling up in certain areas. Then he would mix up a cup of very thinned down paint and while saying “watch this” he’d spray that onto the car and the metallic would flow out evenly like magic. In the blink of an eye the paint job went from nasty to amazing. I’m not sure if the metallic is doing the same for you but surely someone on the billboard may have some insight as to get metallics to flow out evenly.
Russ
I’m thinking this is what I need to try. Here’s the kicker, when I called the shop where I got the paint to ask what should I thin it down with they told me “you don’t thin it”. So I think I’ll call or email basf to ask what to thin it with, because when he did tell me not to thin it he didn’t seem confident. So I’ll look into this more. 👍
Castle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #28
Molino

That seems odd that they would say that it didn’t have to be thinned/reduced. I am no painter by no means but when I have mentioned the heavy thinner last coat thing to other painters they have agreed that it will “spread” the metallic out evenly. I don’t want to mislead you but I’m still not sure why you are not to thin your paint.
Russ
Molino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #29
Castle09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molino View Post
That seems odd that they would say that it didn’t have to be thinned/reduced. I am no painter by no means but when I have mentioned the heavy thinner last coat thing to other painters they have agreed that it will “spread” the metallic out evenly. I don’t want to mislead you but I’m still not sure why you are not to thin your paint.
Russ
I’m with you and I read something about thinning out the last coat. That was the reason I called them. I was taping up the car and remembered this and thought **** what do I thin it with. I was going to make a quick run to the paint shop and get what I needed. But that’s what they told me i don’t thin it. Like I said the guy seemed uncertain of his answer but I trusted him. Maybe my mistake 😂.
Castle09 is offline   Reply With Quote