The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
NorCalC20LWB

What 3/4 ton center caps am I looking for?

Truck is in paint jail, 14 months and counting, but should be finished soon. I am sort of patterning the look after the truck in the accompanying pic, which has white rims and center caps. The second pic is from the parts for sale board here. If I get some ford rims from the auto dismantling yard, what exactly do I need? The caps on the truck pic appear larger, bigger diameter, than the ones posted for sale. Any input/tips on what rims I should be looking for and type of center cap is appreciated.

Brian
Attached Images

NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
jocko

Re: What 3/4 ton center caps am I looking for?

Hey I took pic #1! Ha. At Brothers' Truck show many years ago! Great truck, was parked next to the Overhaulin' Show truck. Anyway, RPO PO3 hub caps are available in different diameters for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. Truck shown is a 3/4 ton - caps are approx 12" diameter. 1/2 ton caps are just over 10" in diameter. Often hard to tell in stand alone pics of caps, but I do believe the ones on the right are 3/4 ton - regardless, get a measurement from a seller to know you are buying the right ones for your truck.

Also of note, both pictures shown are the 73-75 squarebody caps of the same nomenclature, PO3. 69-72 hub caps have a blue bow tie. In the 3/4 ton world, there are also convex and concave caps. (ALL 1/2 ton caps have concave centers (innies)). 69-72 3/4 caps were generally chrome plated with convex centers (i.e. outies). 73-75 had gold bow ties with concave centers and were generally constructed out of stainless (i.e. innies - and pictured in both of your pics in post #1). Regarding the chrome vs stainless and innie vs outie thing - there have been many discussion on the board here about the existence of either in either era - so that is why I used the term "generally" when it comes to material and innie vs outie. Bottom line, the chrome 69-72 outies are increasingly hard to find - and even harder in good condition. Stainless caps can be polished, are less prone to cracked outer rims, and are more easily repaired. Lots of folks run the 73-75 stainless caps and just paint the bow tie blue. Krylon True Blue is a very good blue paint match to the original color.

As far as Ford rims, you just need to make sure the wheels have cap retention nubs - and I believe most Econoline 3/4 ton vans came with the correct type 8 lug wheels for the 3/4 caps.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
factorystock

These appear to be the original issue blue bowtie '69-'72 3/4 ton caps. Not mine.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-Truck....c100667.m2042 Like Jocko correctly stated, are getting very hard to find and priced accordingly to their rareity. Later '73-'75, generally less expensive, will work with some paint work and popping out the center with a special rounded tip rubber mallet.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #4
NorCalC20LWB

Great info Jocko and Factorystock, just what I was looking for. But, Holy Moly, $695 for 67-72 period correct caps?! You're not kidding about getting hard to find and expensive. Sounds like the ones on the truck pic I posted are 73-75, I think they look great, and I assume less expensive than the period correct ones. I will keep and eye out on the parts page here and maybe post a want to buy.

Jocko, funny coincidence that you took the pic of the truck, was that in Texas? Mine will hopefully be close, but with some differences, beautiful truck for sure.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #5
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
Great info Jocko and Factorystock, just what I was looking for. But, Holy Moly, $695 for 67-72 period correct caps?! You're not kidding about getting hard to find and expensive. Sounds like the ones on the truck pic I posted are 73-75, I think they look great, and I assume less expensive than the period correct ones. I will keep and eye out on the parts page here and maybe post a want to buy.

Jocko, funny coincidence that you took the pic of the truck, was that in Texas? Mine will hopefully be close, but with some differences, beautiful truck for sure.
No, took the pic of that truck in socal at a Brothers' annual truck show, I forget the name of the park it was held in. I used to go every year when I lived in Ridgecrest - I do miss it, it's a great truck show. But, we do have the C10s in the Park show out in Waco, which is probably on par with the Brothers show. The Texas Motor Speedway has a few good shows too, but the one in Waco is the best in my opinion. Less fluff, more truck - it just needs a swap meet and it will be perfect! Here's a few more of that same truck:
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalC20LWB View Post
Truck is in paint jail, 14 months and counting, but should be finished soon. I am sort of patterning the look after the truck in the accompanying pic, which has white rims and center caps. The second pic is from the parts for sale board here. If I get some ford rims from the auto dismantling yard, what exactly do I need? The caps on the truck pic appear larger, bigger diameter, than the ones posted for sale. Any input/tips on what rims I should be looking for and the type of center cap is appreciated.

Brian
Like your french door on your bed, I wish most of the bedside makers would make it an option for us guys that like that look It's very neat. One other would be a time saver if you put the tank where the spare tire was put the filler on either side of the bed so when you come into a gas station you can fill up on either side of the truck
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote