The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
NeoJuice

What Rear End to Use?

Hello Everyone,

I need some help to determine if I should swap out the 1980 Pontiac Trams Am rear end/10 bolt that is currently in the truck. The problem is finding all the parts to get it driveable. I need new rotors, calipers, ebrake cables, brake lines etc etc. The truck has the TCI Parabolic Leaf Spring Rear Suspension.

Problem is some of the parts are not available at retailers and some of the needed parts are not made by aftermarket manufacturers.

I thought I was being smart and thought if I couldnt find all the disc brake parts I would just buy a rear disc swap kit. After talking with Ed at http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/ he said the kit will not fit. I got the correct 3 1/8" flange at the end of the axle tube but the problem is with the brake gap.

Ed said "THIS MEASUREMENT IS FROM THE OUTBOARD SIDE OF THE AXLE TUBE FLANGE TO THE OUTBOARD SIDE OF THE AXLE SHAFT FLANGE (WHERE THE WHEEL BOLTS ON) – WE ARE LOOKING FOR 2.5 TO 2.6"

Mine is way more then that, I'm at 2 5/8" plus the thickness of the rear caliper plate ( I didnt have time to remove the rear axels) so this is a rough measurement. Apparenlty the disc brake rear ends are slightly different as read below and verified by getdiscbrakes.com

http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=40451.0

I'm lost on what to do because a local retailer is going to be having a sale with all the needed parts for pretty cheap then me paying even more then that to try and piece it all together.

So now the question is.....If I look for a s10 rear end, which are available pretty much at any junk yard and online kijiji/craigs list. What rear should I put in the truck? I would like to eventually run some 18-20" wheels and something with posi would be nice. Truck has origional frame under it and really if I can use the existing rear I would but I dont know if it will be possible. It's already been sand blasted and painted to match the frame.

Thank you for your time. Here is a link to my build thread for referance pictures.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=723325
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote