The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2019, 04:47 AM   #3951
DransportGarage

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

My glass man was here again yesterday with a new, softer gasket. He's a street rodder, and started doing glass installations at his dad's glass shop when he was 12. He's 75 now, so he has a little experience.

This was our third attempt to install the windshield. This time we spent another 2 hours pushing and beating on the windshield, but it's not going in. We had it nicely soaped up too, with a slimy hand cleaner. (No sealant until we knew it would fit, which it didn't.) We thought we were going to be able to horse it in, but it kicked our you-know-whats. I'll be calling the vendor on Monday to see what he says, but previous conversations have not been encouraging.

The first picture is to the driver's left, looking straight down. The second is from the passenger side. You can see the steering wheel through the glass. The glass is supposed to cover that pinch weld. Both lower corners are in as far as they will go, and the glass is touching near the rear view inside mirror. We shouldn't have even been messing with this POS.
Attached Images

Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 11-03-2019 at 05:21 AM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #3952
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
My glass man was here again yesterday with a new, softer gasket. He's a street rodder, and started doing glass installations at his dad's glass shop when he was 12. He's 75 now, so he has a little experience.

This was our third attempt to install the windshield. This time we spent another 2 hours pushing and beating on the windshield, but it's not going in. We had it nicely soaped up too, with a slimy hand cleaner. (No sealant until we knew it would fit, which it didn't.) We thought we were going to be able to horse it in, but it kicked our you-know-whats. I'll be calling the vendor on Monday to see what he says, but previous conversations have not been encouraging.

The first picture is to the driver's left, looking straight down. The second is from the passenger side. You can see the steering wheel through the glass. The glass is supposed to cover that pinch weld. Both lower corners are in as far as they will go, and the glass is touching near the rear view inside mirror. We shouldn't have even been messing with this POS.
That's crazy. I guess they can't blame the installer. This makes me glad I have flat glass, good luck.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #3953
MiraclePieCo

Another gathering at the Azalea Mountain Store. This time 31 cars participated, and Dakota Fred of the Gold Rush TV show on Discovery Channel did a live remote video.
Here's the video:

https://www.facebook.com/DakotaFred/...0601716134517/

Attached Images

Old 11-03-2019, 10:47 PM   #3954
MiraclePieCo

BTW, the owner of the grey Chevy dually truck has a fleet (4-5) of complete but unrestored AD panel trucks. He will sell the whole lot for $1000. I'd buy them but I have no storage space.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 11-04-2019 at 02:33 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #3955
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
BTW, the owner of the grey Chevy dually truck has a fleet (4-5) of complete but unrestored AD panel trucks. He will sell the whole lot for $1000. I'd buy them but I have no storage space.
Where is he?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #3956
evilokc

today I was driving home and it started getting dark. I hit the lights..aaannnnddd no lights came on. at first I thought my gauge lights weren't working but when I was behind another car I could see from the lack of reflection that my headlights were also not on. im guess its a fuse but I didn't get home until 7pm and im tired. it will have to wait
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #3957
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
today I was driving home and it started getting dark. I hit the lights..aaannnnddd no lights came on. at first I thought my gauge lights weren't working but when I was behind another car I could see from the lack of reflection that my headlights were also not on. im guess its a fuse but I didn't get home until 7pm and im tired. it will have to wait
Based on what you've told us about your gauge problem and this, I think you should consider a complete revamp of your ground system on the truck. I'd be "shocked" if I was wrong. (Pun intended.)
Old 11-05-2019, 04:39 AM   #3958
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Where is he?
Southern Oregon. If you're interested please PM me for his contact info.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #3959
ironadict

Not today but this weekend redid my bench seat. Still in the process of trying different gaskets and beating on this windshield to get it in but no luck so far.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #3960
DransportGarage

ironaddict: The seat came out great! Sounds like you're doing the same dance I'm doing on the windshield...
Old 11-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #3961
ironadict

Quote:
ironaddict: The seat came out great! Sounds like you're doing the same dance I'm doing on the windshield...
Thanks. Yup. Sucks cause the weathers perfect out here and I’m itchin to go cruising but still waiting on that Steele gasket to get here.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #3962
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
Southern Oregon. If you're interested please PM me for his contact info.
Thanks but I'm in Indiana. Too far.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:15 PM   #3963
MARTINSR

I got nothing done "on" my truck but did get a few things out of the cab that I put there on the move to Idaho.

Got my spray gun lamp up in my new garage on a new shelf I finished tonight. This gun was used to spray the truck in the photo. That photo was taken the day I shot it Aug 1st 1977. It was my third paint job, my parents got me the gun for a high school graduation present! They knew where I was going in life. I made the lamp just last a while ago after it hung in my garage for 25 years. I painted the socket for the light bulb Omaha Orange, the color I shot the truck that day. The picture frame is also that color. I made a living with that gun in my shop when I opened it. It's a Craftsmen my mom bought at the Sears in the first mall in the area in Hayward California. I didn't get a "real gun" (Devilbiss JGA502) for a few years a at the shop. And still used it for primer for many years.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #3964
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got nothing done "on" my truck but did get a few things out of the cab that I put there on the move to Idaho.

Got my spray gun lamp up in my new garage on a new shelf I finished tonight. This gun was used to spray the truck in the photo. That photo was taken the day I shot it Aug 1st 1977. It was my third paint job, my parents got me the gun for a high school graduation present! They knew where I was going in life. I made the lamp just last a while ago after it hung in my garage for 25 years. I painted the socket for the light bulb Omaha Orange, the color I shot the truck that day. The picture frame is also that color. I made a living with that gun in my shop when I opened it. It's a Craftsmen my mom bought at the Sears in the first mall in the area in Hayward California. I didn't get a "real gun" (Devilbiss JGA502) for a few years a at the shop. And still used it for primer for many years.

Brian
A great remembrance to days gone by!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #3965
evilokc

Quote:
Based on what you've told us about your gauge problem and this, I think you should consider a complete revamp of your ground system on the truck. I'd be "shocked" if I was wrong. (Pun intended.)

maybe. my lights and gauges have been working for 20 years though. whatever the issue I will locate it and destroy it!!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:42 AM   #3966
DransportGarage

Quote:
maybe. my lights and gauges have been working for 20 years though. whatever the issue I will locate it and destroy it!!
That's the spirit! Let us know...
Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #3967
OrrieG

Installed the fire extinguisher behind the driver seat. Commercial 5# w metal valve so it can be refilled when it gets below charge.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #3968
OrrieG

Quote:

Brian
When did you move to Boise? I have not been on the board much since work on the truck slowed down (too may honey dos!). Would like to get together some time.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:56 PM   #3969
evilokc

I was checking my lack of light issue and I noticed a gas smell. its a carb but it was raw gas. I looked around and my pressure regulator hose was seeping a tiny amount. tried to tighten the clamp and it seems its faulty. will get that replaced soon. got nowhere with the lights though. fuses are good. I didn't pull the switch yet. i have no headlights, tail lights, or gauges. seems like it could be the switch. i hope i have brake lights. haven't verified that.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:58 AM   #3970
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
got nowhere with the lights though. fuses are good. I didn't pull the switch yet. i have no headlights, tail lights, or gauges. seems like it could be the switch.
With everything out and fuses good, it's probably a faulty switch. Try bypassing the switch with a jumper wire from the hot side to your light lead. But you probably already knew that...
Old 11-11-2019, 01:40 PM   #3971
Marty68

Quote:

Brian
GREAT idea.. I have a box of Dads old Binks 7's...
Binks & and centari 2000 I sprayed a LOT of square body peelers code 17 and 21 with them.
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #3972
mick53

Checked on parts today. My new oil pan should ship this week. My SFI damper with serpentine pulley is still in engineering, no date or cost yet. My custom spindles are done just waiting for shipping when he gets back in town and I can send them to Pete and Jake's to finish the front axle. Guess I will work on my thousands of hours of polishing.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #3973
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Checked on parts today. My new oil pan should ship this week. My SFI damper with serpentine pulley is still in engineering, no date or cost yet. My custom spindles are done just waiting for shipping when he gets back in town and I can send them to Pete and Jake's to finish the front axle. Guess I will work on my thousands of hours of polishing.
Just got a call from BHJ. My SFI damper with serpentine pulley will be done in 5 weeks. $1000, another problem solved. Happy days!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #3974
Black_Sheep

Angry Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Sunday I took what was probably the final cruise of the season...
Attached Images

Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #3975
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Sunday I took what was probably the final cruise of the season...
Yup. The salt hit the roads here in southwestern Ohio last night...