The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Tuck In Front Bumper

What is the best way to tuck in the front bumper on my 53 Chevy 3100? Do I modify the splash pan or make a new one? I have already trimmed three inches off of each end of the front bumper, now I want it tucked in more.

Any pics of a nicely tucked front bumper?

thanks.

Wade
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame

Last edited by Driver_WT; 11-22-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 10,091
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Just modify what you have or make a new one....just like your already thinking
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Thanks. Do most people just tuck the front bumper in to the front of the bottom of the grill, or do you go under the grill?
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 10,091
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Personal choice I guess...I'd keep it under the grill bar, but a little in front of it
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,424
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Personal choice I guess...I'd keep it under the grill bar, but a little in front of it
Which I interpret as on the same level that it is originally but closer to the grill.

On the splash apron, I'd say that may depend on your personal skills or the skills available to you. Either cutting and welding or fabbing a new one. I don't think you will gain what you hope to by cutting and welding though and a newly fabricated one could slip below the grill as long as it cleared a tad.

I have to do pretty much the same thing with the 49 Plymouth ribbed bumpers that I am putting on mine. Right down to trimming the ends for clearance.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:02 PM   #6
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Which I interpret as on the same level that it is originally but closer to the grill.

On the splash apron, I'd say that may depend on your personal skills or the skills available to you. Either cutting and welding or fabbing a new one. I don't think you will gain what you hope to by cutting and welding though and a newly fabricated one could slip below the grill as long as it cleared a tad.

I have to do pretty much the same thing with the 49 Plymouth ribbed bumpers that I am putting on mine. Right down to trimming the ends for clearance.
Thank you. I do have a new splash pan, but if I cut it up, I would like it to work. Just looking for some ideas, advice and pics of what others have done to increase my own probability of success. A good friend is helping with the truck project and he is a great welder with good equipment.
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #7
oldman3
Senior Member
 
oldman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Plains, Missouri
Posts: 6,909
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

I ended up cutting about 3" out of my bumper brackets (see Pic 1)

I also narrowed mine about 3" per side and welded studs to the bumper and smoothed them out (see pic 2 @3)

I made mine own splash apron to fit my bumper and then the fenders, etc.

Here's the finished product (see pic 4)

Hope this helps...Jim
Attached Images
    
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #8
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Thanks very much Jim. I have reviewed your build a number of times and have copied some things, including your trimmed and smoothed front bumper. Is your front splash pan just flat sheet metal?

Wade
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
oldman3
Senior Member
 
oldman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Plains, Missouri
Posts: 6,909
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
Is your front splash pan just flat sheet metal?

Wade
Wade, thanks for checking out the build. Yes, splash pan in 1/8" flat sheet metal. I made a poster board template of the shape and size, then cut it out...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
oldman3
Senior Member
 
oldman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Plains, Missouri
Posts: 6,909
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Wade, forgot to add that I welded four tabs on the pan to hold in place, like the orginal one. Here's a pic...Jim
Attached Images
 
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the detail and the pics.

Wade
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #12
my56chevytruck
Registered User
 
my56chevytruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Hebron
Posts: 798
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
What is the best way to tuck in the front bumper on my 53 Chevy 3100? Do I modify the splash pan or make a new one? I have already trimmed three inches off of each end of the front bumper, now I want it tucked in more.

Any pics of a nicely tucked front bumper?

thanks.

Wade
any thoughts of cutting the width down on the bumper to begin with? Making it not as wide as they are??
__________________
RUBBER DOWN AND HIT THE ROAD!!!
1940 Ford Dlx Coupe
1969 Mach1
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #13
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
any thoughts of cutting the width down on the bumper to begin with? Making it not as wide as they are??
I have cut 3" off each end (copied from Oldman3 - Jim).

I could not make the bumper any narrower as I have put two 3.5" driving lights in the front bumper.
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:36 AM   #14
oldman3
Senior Member
 
oldman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Plains, Missouri
Posts: 6,909
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
I could not make the bumper any narrower as I have put two 3.5" driving lights in the front bumper.
Always thought that would look good, if everything was shaped right, look forward to seeing this...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #15
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Always thought that would look good, if everything was shaped right, look forward to seeing this...Jim
I will post up some pics soon Jim.
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #16
Dan in Pasadena
Registered User
 
Dan in Pasadena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,983
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
I ended up cutting about 3" out of my bumper brackets (see Pic 1)

I also narrowed mine about 3" per side and welded studs to the bumper and smoothed them out (see pic 2 @3)

I made mine own splash apron to fit my bumper and then the fenders, etc.

Here's the finished product (see pic 4)

Hope this helps...Jim
Jim, Id never noticed before but in the photo it looks like the bumper & splash pan are welded together and smoothed out to be one piece. Your fit must be spot on. Nice!

Too bad the Task Force trucks never came with a splash pan. I considered making some for mine but in the crush at the end I never went back to it. This thread has me thinking!
__________________
'55 Big Window Shortbed,
Drive-It-&-Work-On-It slid down the "slippery slope" to a Frame-Off Rodstoration! LQ4/4l85e/C4 IFS/Mustang 8.8 rearend w/3.73's

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:22 PM   #17
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,424
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

I'd just say that Oldman3 has that fit and finish thing down to the gnats patootie and raised the bar a couple of notches there. What looks like seamless is superior fit. Time and patience there rather than throwing money at it.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #18
oldman3
Senior Member
 
oldman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Plains, Missouri
Posts: 6,909
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Jim, Id never noticed before but in the photo it looks like the bumper & splash pan are welded together and smoothed out to be one piece. Your fit must be spot on. Nice!

Too bad the Task Force trucks never came with a splash pan. I considered making some for mine but in the crush at the end I never went back to it. This thread has me thinking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd just say that Oldman3 has that fit and finish thing down to the gnats patootie and raised the bar a couple of notches there. What looks like seamless is superior fit. Time and patience there rather than throwing money at it.
Thanks Dan and mr48, for the high praise. There is a small gap between bumper and splash apron, just enough to keep it from hitting each other. Dan I'm sure you can cut a pattern of what you want, put it to metal and finish. You have a beautiful truck and this addition would add to it...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #19
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 298
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Thanks Dan and mr48, for the high praise. There is a small gap between bumper and splash apron, just enough to keep it from hitting each other. Dan I'm sure you can cut a pattern of what you want, put it to metal and finish. You have a beautiful truck and this addition would add to it...Jim
I thought it was welded as well. Very nice work Jim. I am hoping that my project will be at least 75% of what you have done.
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #20
oldman3
Senior Member
 
oldman3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Plains, Missouri
Posts: 6,909
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
I thought it was welded as well. Very nice work Jim. I am hoping that my project will be at least 75% of what you have done.
Thanks Wade. I thought about welding it together, but getting it to line up with top of bumper and under grill I wasn't sure would work, so no welding. I'm sure yours will come out fine, looking forward to pics...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #21
MD2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Batesville,MISSISSIPPI
Posts: 88
Re: Tuck In Front Bumper

A little off topic
Mine's a 1956 truck
I did not have a front bumper and it had a Nova front clip.
I bought a black bumper off of eba__ and cut about 6" out of the center and pushed it up against the lower grill panel, then made some bracket to hold it.

Fit's like it was suppose to be that way.
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com