The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
Missyblue

under bed had tank with license plate fill??

hey I am planning on moving my tank under the bed and i have seen some guys do a license plate fill instead of the bed. any of you done that? advice? pros and cons? not opposed to the bed but really liked the license plate idea. just wondering if there's a reason why I have only seen it a few times. 60's impala and 70 camaro gas tanks are what I had seen with the license fill used in a few examples I had found on these trucks. amd i am not bagging the truck or anything so i will have more clearance if that makes a difference. thanks for any help

Last edited by Missyblue; 02-09-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
PDW HOTRODS

Re: under bed had tank with license plate fill??

The problem with that is the filler needs to be higher than the gas tank. I used a Camaro tank on a 47 Chevy truck and made a gas door in the rear panel and I ended up having to make a new tailgate shorter to clear the door. It was not worth the trouble. The other option was to have the gas tank hang lower. The bottom of the rear panel would be level with the top of the gas tank.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
nvrdone

I tried that and all ways had a hard time filling the tank. also, fuel all ways leaked out of the filler.
I finally had the tank modified so the filler neck goes out the left side above the frame rail
and the cap is in the left fender
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
dsraven

anybody ever tried an s10 blazer tank in the rear of a 55-59? top fuel pump, side fuel fill. 20 gallons. don't know dimensions though. would leave room for inline filter in the area of the cut off corner possibly? dunno. originally probably was there for exhaust clearance?
https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Chevy-.../dp/B077JF6CH9

you could use a fuel door or blend in the original filler with rubber grommet in the rear fender for easy fill and no run-back on acceleration. depending on the fuel system, if you need a vented cap, it can always run out those low filler styles that are almost even with the top of the fuel tank. on a hot day a full tank of fuel expands to spill out as well. sure, you get used to it and don't fill the tank to the top, but why not just build it different to not have the problem in the first place. the same for the filler in the box floor. it's great if you KNOW you will never carry anything. if you do it kinda sucks to move stuff just to access the fuel filler.
just my opinion, doesn't mean much.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
mr48chev

Remembering the cars that had behind the plate fillers in the late 50's and early 60's every time you fill the tank and park with the nose up a slight incline gas runs out the filler and onto the ground.

That might be handled by using a sealed cap and venting the tank to an outlet up high enough that it would't be an issue.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
2solodrifter

I've done a behind the license twice now without a problem. First one I did was a 66 chevelle vented tank on my 54, and the current one is a 69 camaro unvented tank on my 52, which is a better fit. In 69 the camaro tank filler was changed a little maybe to fill better, and as long as you use the correct cap there are no leaks.
Attached Images

2solodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:21 PM   #7
e015475

2solodrifter - I have a roll pan and a Camaro tank too. Really like the rear bumper. What is it from? Can you post a few photos of the bumper mounts to clear the roll pan?

Sorry to hijack the tread, but I need to know!
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
2solodrifter

e015475- Hey, I like the colors on your truck. My bumper is 54 chevy or gmc with stock brackets. I slid the bumper in 3" by drilling 2 new holes 3" forward in frame on each side, also had to grind off a couple of rivet heads. Doing this allowed the curve of the bumper brackets to clear the roll pan like it was made for it. I have a picture that is hard to see it, but i'll look for more pictures.
Attached Images

2solodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
Slammo

2solodrifter: Great idea with the license plate fill!
Slammo is offline   Reply With Quote