The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
RMR

1/2 ton OEM differential side gears needed

I'm doing a full restoration on a 1950 Chevy 3100. The rear differential has been a challenge. The factory axle shafts and side gears have bad splines. Got a donor set from another truck. The splines on this set are good, but the teeth and thrust surface of the side gears have some chips and rust. I'm not seeing the right side gears and valuable anywhere. There are 17 splines in the center hole and 16 teeth around the outside face. None of the ones I'm seeing on ebay have that combination. I have seen plenty for 3/4 ton and up as well as for the two speed rear. Any input? Anybody have a set?

(I know I could have just put a different rearend or any number of non-OEM options, but the owner wants it just like it left the factory.) Thanks!
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1/2 ton OEM differential side gears needed

These rear ends shouldn't cost much for a good one as there isn't much of a market for them We have a number of members in Kansas and Nebraska depending on which clay center you are in. and close by so maybe one has a rear out of a cab donor truck they would part with for a right price.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
skihor

Re: 1/2 ton OEM differential side gears needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I'm doing a full restoration on a 1950 Chevy 3100. The rear differential has been a challenge. The factory axle shafts and side gears have bad splines. Got a donor set from another truck. The splines on this set are good, but the teeth and thrust surface of the side gears have some chips and rust. I'm not seeing the right side gears and valuable anywhere. There are 17 splines in the center hole and 16 teeth around the outside face. None of the ones I'm seeing on ebay have that combination. I have seen plenty for 3/4 ton and up as well as for the two speed rear. Any input? Anybody have a set?

(I know I could have just put a different rearend or any number of non-OEM options, but the owner wants it just like it left the factory.) Thanks!
Hello from Denver, I have a complete torque tube rear end out of a '49 Panel
I think it was rebuilt in 1972. never on the road. I don't have a clue if it is the same or not. I just used a sawzall on the tube. It has fully rebuilt brakes, wheel cylinders, bearings etc... I have the springs, front and rear as well as the front axle you could have as well. Front has fully rebuilt brakes, bearings, wheel cylinders and turned drums as well.
Free if you could use it
skihor is offline   Reply With Quote