The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 AM   #126
75Dually

Re: 75 Dually build

Got to playing around with the new dash after I got all the old switches and knobs pulled. I put the 91 burb instrument panel in the gauge opening, and it does not look that bad. OK it does not look that good either, but I just don't have the budget right now for new gauges, maybe sometime in the future, but not right now. I would like a full set of Autometer in there, hmmm a speedo, tach with playback.....
Attached Images

75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #127
Kaotik Kustumz

Man I'm sure glad you're putting this on here as well cause it won't let me login to my duallyscene.com account for some reason......
But ya bro that thing is starting to look awesome

1984 Chevy 1 Ton Crew Cab Dually "Western Hauler"454, th400, (6.0, 4l80e Swap Coming Soon)(5/7 Drop Coming Soon) (ON HOLD FOR NOW)

1986 Chevy 1/2 Ton LWB Silverado350, 700r4, (5.3, 4l60e Swap Coming Soon)(4/6 Drop)
Kaotik Kustumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #128
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotik Kustumz View Post
Man I'm sure glad you're putting this on here as well cause it won't let me login to my duallyscene.com account for some reason......
But ya bro that thing is starting to look awesome
Thanks a million! You guys are about to have a show in Snyder, I think next weekend? I might roll this on a trailer and bring it down, but we shall see. Are you going to bring anything? If so post a pic!

I am actually trying to make it to the Heat Wave show in Austin at the end of July (I think it is the 25-27 of July). I hope to have it finished by then. At least that is my goal. Have you ever been to that show, if so what is it like, and is it worth the drive?

You should contact the admin for Duallyscene, probably just needs to reset on there end.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #129
Kaotik Kustumz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
Thanks a million! You guys are about to have a show in Snyder, I think next weekend? I might roll this on a trailer and bring it down, but we shall see. Are you going to bring anything? If so post a pic!

I am actually trying to make it to the Heat Wave show in Austin at the end of July (I think it is the 25-27 of July). I hope to have it finished by then. At least that is my goal. Have you ever been to that show, if so what is it like, and is it worth the drive?

You should contact the admin for Duallyscene, probably just needs to reset on there end.

Ya man our show is next weekend but unfortunately I'm not gonna have nothing ready for it this year..... But man that would be awesome if you bring that thing on down here for the show, I would love to see that thing in person man.

As far as the heat wave show, I've never been but there's a lot of guys from here that go every year and they say it's one of the best shows in Texas.....

I finally got my duallyscene.com login to work so I finally got back on there....

1984 Chevy 1 Ton Crew Cab Dually "Western Hauler"454, th400, (6.0, 4l80e Swap Coming Soon)(5/7 Drop Coming Soon) (ON HOLD FOR NOW)

1986 Chevy 1/2 Ton LWB Silverado350, 700r4, (5.3, 4l60e Swap Coming Soon)(4/6 Drop)
Kaotik Kustumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #130
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotik Kustumz View Post
Ya man our show is next weekend but unfortunately I'm not gonna have nothing ready for it this year..... But man that would be awesome if you bring that thing on down here for the show, I would love to see that thing in person man.

As far as the heat wave show, I've never been but there's a lot of guys from here that go every year and they say it's one of the best shows in Texas.....

I finally got my duallyscene.com login to work so I finally got back on there....
Have you seen the air ride/York build I was doing? If not here it is, check it out.
http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/po...0.html#p106860
Old 04-28-2014, 11:41 AM   #131
75Dually

I worked on the dash this weekend. Yeah I know my trial balloon with the old gauges above was a dog, but hey you gotta try...

So after taking all the components out of each dash unit I found that there was a ton of similarities in the speedo. In fact the bolt patterns were the same to mount it to the rear plate! So that got me to thinking, what if I could use all the old gauges out of the 91 burb? So I tore it completely apart and then tore the 61 dash down as well. So I spent some quality time at home depot finding some of the small parts I needed, then I got back to the shop and made the dash unit below. The speedo is bolted in to the original location. The only thing I had to do to it was trim the bottom to fit the housing. All the other gauges are mounted from the back using JB weld and some small standoffs so the back lighting would come through. Right now I have to find some plexi glass to finish up the front, and I still have to finish up the wiring and install the lights for the turn signals.

Now to get that dash welded in...
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #132
Truck Guy99

Sorry to hijack but do you still have the donor suburban front right fender? A buddy of mine has an 85 with the same paint job as your donor and his front right fender is crumpled. If you have it pm me. Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #133
75Dually

THE TRUCK RUNS! Fired up on the first turn of the key!!! After 2 years of sitting and tons of work that was a major hurdle. Talk about a happy camper!

Now that it runs I am going to finish up the Accuair install and run the calibration phase tonight. I am going to take video of the calibration and post it on YouTube. A long night ahead but man I can't wait to see it lift off the ground under it's own system.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #134
Truck Guy99

Did you decide on color? And why replace doors only because the sand blasted windows? Why not switch out the donor door glass? That trucks original paint is beautiful and I love the original style!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #135
75Dually

Need some help guys. I started the calibration this evening on the Accuair and it started it just fine, but 30 seconds into the calibration I got a warning that said " Ride height sensor travel warning" So I went to the trouble shooting at the back of the setup manual and it said that the sensor needs to be remounted to a point in the suspension with more travel. I measured everything several times and I have both the front and the rear moving through aprox. 2.5" of travel. So I put the linkage arms to the 2"-3" hole in the arm following the instructions. Have any of you run into this before? If so what did you do to fix it? Any other ideas on what I should be looking for?

Let me know!
Old 05-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #136
mooseknuckles

I never had any trouble, but the keypad will flash red on the sensors that are having trouble, double check them and make sure that they aren't over-extending the arms....that's all I got...
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 PM   #137
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
I never had any trouble, but the keypad will flash red on the sensors that are having trouble, double check them and make sure that they aren't over-extending the arms....that's all I got...
I unfortunately do not have the key pad. I do have the iLevel and I am waiting for the release of the Android wireless app. So I was using my daughters iPad mini tonight and the warning flashed up on the screen, but it does not show which sensor is affected. So I am at a loss as to which sensor it is and what to do. Guess I will call Accuair Monday to see what they can tell me.

Thanks so much for helping out! Have a great weekend!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #138
75Dually

Found out what some of my calibration issues were when talking to Accuair tech support. Their tech support is really good by the way.

If you go back in my posts I showed where I am using a 1/2" Airbaggit valve. The valve is fine and works with their system. The issue, or at least part of the issue is this valve is to fast for their ECU. My valve would exhaust to fast for the sensors, thus the ECU would not be able to pick up the rapid change, and so it would throw the "Ride height sensor travel warning". So I had to slow it down. What I did was take the brass muffler off the valve and replace it with a 1/2" ball valve. This way I could fine tune the rate of the air coming out the exhaust side. This worked really well.

So the system could now go through the calibration phase... Well almost... The other issue I ran into is it would not raise the front end very high. Maybe 1"-2", but no more than that. The rear worked fine, but the front was not cooperating. So I again called the tech support line, and they said to raise the tank pressure. The cool thing about the Accuair system is you can change the tank pressure switch with your iPad, iPhone, in cab rocker switch, or Accuair touch pad (or even soon to be Andriod app!!!). The stock pressure is set at 150psi, but you can change it to 175psi or even up to 200psi all with the touch of your finger. Pretty cool in my book! So tonight I will change the setting to 175psi and see if that does the trick, and if not I will move it up to 200psi (hope I don't have to go that high...)

I let you know what happens... Stay tuned...
Old 05-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #139
75Dually

A major milestone in my project. I got the Accuride finally working right. I did a video tonight of it going through the 3 different raise and lower modes. My son was in the front seat clowning around. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CShgDw4wn8
Old 05-06-2014, 01:31 AM   #140
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Congrats on getting the suspension working, that's awesome!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #141
75Dually

1. 210 York compressor - eBay - 73-84 VOLVO 240 260 YORK 210 A/C COMPRESSOR
2. Build mounting bracket - Local steel supplier - 1/4" Plate, 3/4"tubing 1/8"wall, 1/2" all thread, and associated bolts nuts and washers
3. V-Belt - Napa - Drive belt
4. Alternator pulley - Kilby Enterprises - Part #061-003
5. Oil fix - sheet metal screw - Size screw to fit oil hole tightly
6. Flange fittings - Kilby Enterprises - Part #28723
7. Intake filter - eBay - Air Compressor Intake Filter Silencer 1/2" NPT Metal Housing
8. Dip stick - Kilby Enterprises - Part #99-431
9. Oil/Water separator - eBay - 1/2" Particulate filter moisture for compressed air systems air compressor F704
10. Coalescing filter system - eBay - Coalescing Intermediate Oil Removal Filter, NPT 1/2 Inch
11. Main air line from compressor - Local tractor dealership - Gates 1/2" hydraulic line with 1/2" NPT swivel ends
12. ISO relay - Napa - ISO automotive 12V relay
13. Check valve - eBay - 1/2" Threaded In-Line Brass Spring Check Valve

Above is the items list for what I used to build my York 210 project. I have not listed every nut, bolt, and brass fitting. That is for you to source locally at Home Depot or Lowes or ??? This is not a shopping list, but hopefully a reference for you to use on the major items you will need to source. I listed each major item, the supplier or place I purchased it from, and the description of the parts. Where I have the part number I gave it, but note I did not give the V-Belt part number, each and every project is going to be different than mine so the best thing I can tell you is to visit your local Napa store or local parts store and they can help you size the belt. On the items I bought on eBay. Simply cut and paste the description into their search box and the item I bought should come up. If not it will get you a selection of similar items.

Some advice: As most others that have tackled this type of project would tell you, patience and precision is everything. Take your time and be precise. Belt alignment is super critical. Which means your bracket has to be right on the money. I spent more time than I want to admit making sure the belt was as dead on as I could get it. If you have a laser level, shine it down the valleys of the pulley's, or take a good straight edge and make sure that you have proper alignment. Make sure you have really good electrical connections. Use quality hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, etc..) it shows in the final product.

I hope the above list helps. I have enjoyed this portion of my build a lot. If you have questions I can help with let me know and I will do what I can...

Here is a link to my York build post: http://www.duallyscene.com/forums/su...all-t8529.html
Old 05-07-2014, 11:36 PM   #142
75Dually

Took this pic over the weekend once the truck was up and running.

Starting on the interior and especially the dash. Time to cut and weld some sheet metal!

Also been working on doing some center console renderings. Tons of work ahead...
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #143
75Dually

Working on the dash tonight. I fastened the dash down to the cowl and then began to make the forms that I will use to cut out the sheet metal. I used manila file folders and cut them up to fit the shape I wanted.

Tomorrow I will cut out the sheet metal and begin the fun work!

I have all my air vents picked out for the AC system now. I will have to modify the existing duct system to make it work, but that was to be expected... I am also going to work on how I send the rear compartment AC as well. Got some interesting ideas for that as well...

I also will be installing the stereo system fairly soon. I have not picked out a head unit yet. So many choices... At least I know it will fit in original slot. I took an old DIN chassis receiver tonight and checked the dimensions, and it was perfect.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #144
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Looking Good!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #145
mrolds88

Just another thought. Could you add to the center of the dash and spread the two pods or will that not work with the layout and column?
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:26 PM   #146
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work fitting up your new to it dash.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #147
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Looking Good!
Thanks Karl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrolds88 View Post
Just another thought. Could you add to the center of the dash and spread the two pods or will that not work with the layout and column?
In all truth this transformation is hard enough, and I don't want to add additional complexity where I don't have too. But good thought however!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Nice work fitting up your new to it dash.
Thanks man! I wish this ride was done already so I could drive the wheels off it!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #148
75Dually

Today was an interesting day. I met one of my new neighbors. He is the graphic designer for RPM Magazine! He is building a super cool pro street mustang (new body style).

I also got some work done on the dually. Just as I got started cutting out the sheet metal for the dash my 15 year old scroll saw died... So off to Sears I went to buy a new one. Once I got back I finished cutting out everything I needed and got busy beating the metal into submission. Then I tacked welded everything in and did the end cap on the passenger side.

Tomorrow I will finish up the drivers side and get to finishing up the attachment points so it is solid all the way around. After that I will start on the AC vents. Whew! Lots of stuff to still do... Stay tuned...
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2014, 09:38 PM   #149
75Dually

Tonight I was checking on the Google Play store and there was the new Android App for Accuair iLevel! So I down loaded it and went out to the shop and tried it on the truck (OK it worked just the same as the Apple app I was already using) but it worked perfectly. So now I only need one device to run everything in the truck, iLevel, Bluetooth to the stereo, GPS speedometer, Maps, etc.. Super cool!!!

So if you have iLevel go download the app and throw that Apple device out the window... Just kiddin'!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #150
75Dually

I ordered my seats tonight. I have been looking at a ton of OEM solutions (take outs and junk yard stuff) and aftermarket as well. Below is what I chose. Some may not like them, and some will, but I have spent thousands of miles in similar seats and they are really comfortable.

I could not find any OEM seats that did not look like hell. So I went aftermarket. I will be doing a custom console that will go from the dash to the rear of the cabin. Still working on some renderings, but I have a good idea what I want just need to get it down on paper.

I also ordered my new carpet as well. Hopefully this dash will be done in a couple of weeks and I can finish up the interior and get on the paint. Ready for this ride to be done!
Attached Images