The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2017, 12:43 PM   #176
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Oops, almost forgot the last one!

Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:21 AM   #177
Nick_R_23

I received my last two hose fittings as well as my separators in the mail today, so the fuel system is finished, minus my filler neck.

First clamp mounted on the bracket. You can also see a better view of my PCV valve routing from here.

Second clamp and return line

Main feed line

Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #178
LT7A

Good attention to detail, and I like how the truck sits. You'll have a lot of fun with it this summer. Also, good job working toward a budget. You'll have a nice truck at a good cost when you are done. BTW, you're killin me with the the pics of the '67 Camaro workbench. I really like that car, even just as it sits now.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #179
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Good attention to detail, and I like how the truck sits. You'll have a lot of fun with it this summer. Also, good job working toward a budget. You'll have a nice truck at a good cost when you are done. BTW, you're killin me with the the pics of the '67 Camaro workbench. I really like that car, even just as it sits now.
Thank you! I'm currently a little over the planned $5000 budget with the Sniper EFI, but I really wanted to try one out, and plus, it's always nice to have something to splurge a little on. Overall though, the EFI kit added about $2000 to the cost of the build. The kit was $1100 (with shipping), and I had the distributor for timing control, the new sending unit, Hydramat, pump, fuel lines, and all the fittings, all which added about another $1000 on top of the kit itself. If I would have stuck to a carb and stock style distributor, I would have had about $3500 into the build at this point. It's definitely still a moderate chunk of change, even for a "budget build"!

And thanks as well on the Camaro! I actually used to drive that car just as it looks. It had a later year 350 small block with a '62 corvette T10 4 speed, and wide Rally wheels. Open headers as well! I pulled and sold the engine and transmission to a guy a year or so ago, who planned to put it in a 38(?) Plymouth I believe, and I was planning on doing an LS swap (6.0L/4L80E) on it along with a full Ridetech suspension. But now I'm more interested in getting the last bit of my house paid off so I can invest in a place with a bigger shop. I'm considering selling off the engine, trans, and other LS swap parts I've collected for it, and getting the brakes and suspension set up a bit better. I have a TH350 that will fit it, and SBC 350's are a dime a dozen. It would be fun to have it back together and on the road again!

I made a bit more progress tonight, I got all the taillights, turn signals, and brake and reverse lights wired in. I've always liked the lights since I put them on, but seeing them all lit up, I'm in love with them! I feel like they give the truck a very old hot rod look in the back. I wish my phone would capture the light better, but here's how they look!

Wiring was pretty simple...not much to look at here!

Taillights/running lights

Brake lights

Reverse lights

Ready for takeoff!

Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #180
moregrip

looking awesome bro! looking forward to your impressions on the Sniper set up!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #181
lowbrow454

Nice to see you're taking the time and the little extra money to clean and organize the engine bay even though it's a "budget" build. Cluttered motors drive me nuts. I dig the lights too.
'77 K5 Blazer Chalet #0661 Build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776072
'79 K10 Bonanza
lowbrow454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #182
Nick_R_23

Thank you guys! Wiring is one of my biggest pet peeves and I like to try and make things look at least relatively neat under the hood. It's a little hard with keeping things such as the heater/vacuum lines/some emissions and also pre-made harnesses such as with the Holley, but I think it turned out pretty nice, even with all those things.

Finally found a clamp to work as a coil mount bracket. I couldn't find any better places to mount it as I didn't want it sticking out like a sore thumb. I think it fits nicely here.

I also got my O2 bung in, and drilled out the exhaust and welded it in place.

It's hard to see here since it's buried under everything else, but I also installed the alternator conversion harness (10SI to CS130)

I also used the A/C box as a mounting point for much of the Sniper wiring. Also fabbed up a little bracket for the coil driver.

And lastly, everything wired in!

Old 03-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #183
Shucks

Looks good in there!

Check out my build thread!
Shucks First Build
Shucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #184
madmax908

Great build!
I may borrow some of your ideas!

madmax908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:55 PM   #185
Nick_R_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
Looks good in there!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax908 View Post
Great build!
I may borrow some of your ideas!
Go right ahead! That's what this place is about, one big collection of ideas. Some worse than others, lol.

Not much of an update for now, for the most part this truck is pretty much nearing completion! I'm working on the small things that need to get done, the fuel filler hose is my current hang up, and the last big thing I really need to buy is my driveshaft.

I replaced the last high beam light that was bad. Also finished up running the wires for the fuel pump and fuel sender, as well as got the brakes bled out. I'll be picking up a new gasket and gear oil next time I'm in town to change the fluid in the rear axle.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #186
Nick_R_23

A couple more parts trickling in!

My trans-dapt valve cover inlet breather showed up. All I could find were chrome ones, and I didn't really want chrome on this engine since nothing else is, lol. Finding one of these in black and in 3/4 was painful though.

I also picked up another LED light to convert this cargo lamp into a 3rd brake light. I'll never use it as a cargo light, and I'd rather have the extra safety with as little as people pay attention on the road now.

Still need to wire it in to the brake switch, but it's working!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #187
Nick_R_23

Woo, more stuff getting done! I'm trying to take care of all the little things that I can before I get the chance to fire it up. I'll be going into town tomorrow to try and find a better hose to mate to the fuel tank, otherwise, I think it's about ready to fire!

I drilled two small holes and inserted some speed nuts into the frame for the heat shield bracket. This will protect the fuel lines inside the frame where the headers run fairly close.

Heat shield itself, made from scrap aluminum

How it sits on the frame

I also removed, sanded, and painted the battery tray.

I figured that my single, rusty tailgate latch wasn't going to be enough to keep the tailgate in place the way I wanted to, so I picked up a few pieces to fabricate some new tailgate chains.

Started off by welding the chain to the carriage bolt, testing for proper length.

Properly cut, and S-hook crimped on

And how it will latch

Both sides completed. I also cleaned all the junk out of the bed and vacuumed it as well. Fancy~

Annnnnd shut!

Old 04-09-2017, 08:50 PM   #188
jott_06
Camaro Club

when I had a stepside bed on my old k10 I cut bicycle inner tubes to make chain covers to keep them from clanging around
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #189
Nick_R_23

That's not a bad idea, I'm considering putting something on there. Although with the exhaust, I'm not sure there's much else I'll be hearing, LOL
Old 04-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #190
54inches

Very nice!

2007 Tahoe LTZ

2003 Ford Ranger DD
54inches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:47 AM   #191
Nick_R_23

Thank you!

Another minor update, the license plate light I ordered off ebay showed up today, and I got that installed. All the lights in the truck work now!

Compared to the old one

I ran into an unfortunate setback while I was cleaning up the filler neck on the wire wheel at work. It's rusted through just above where the hose mates up. This may not be all bad, as the hose size is too small for my '86 tank anyway, so I may weld on an 1-3/4" snout instead of repairing this factory one, and making it easier to connect the hose up.

And lastly....checked out the Sniper system for the first time! I spent a few minutes going through it and getting things set up for the initial start (when I can finally put fuel in the tank!) and everything seems well laid out and simple to navigate. Hopefully I can get this filler neck sorted out soon and be able to fire it up!

Old 04-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #192
daddyjeep

You're holding off on firing up that bad ass system due to a filler neck? You are a patient man. I'd fill that tank one scoop at a time with a spoon if I had to.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #193
Nick_R_23

Haha, tell me about it! Realistically I actually need to have the driveshaft made first, as I need to have the output of the transmission sealed so I can put fluid in it. Not a great idea to run the motor if the trans is empty, lol. I called in and got a quote today for about $500, so once I get all my measurements sent in, I can have that done.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #194
jott_06
Camaro Club

Have you checked any junkyards to see if a shaft out of anything else will fit? I'm actually running a 70's ford drive shaft with conversion U-joints in my suburban. It was $25 and I paid about $40 for the joints.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:30 AM   #195
Nick_R_23

Everything in the junkyards right now are frozen to the ground or have a lake forming under them with the melting snow. I'd rather not wait until summer, I'm impatient
Old 04-13-2017, 06:34 AM   #196
jott_06
Camaro Club

nothing wrong with wanting to get stuff done. I will probably have to have a shaft made at some point also. My burb sits a little low in the rear since it was originally a 2wd. I'm afraid that once I lift it to match the front that the shaft I have is going to be to short.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:22 AM   #197
Nick_R_23

Yeah, plus it's one of those things where I'd rather not risk a bent or out of balance or maybe not quite right deal either. Brand new bolt in is nice (and worth it!) in this case imo.

So not much of an update with this truck, but I did pick up another stepside! I was certainly not planning on any more vehicles (there's 6 around my house currently) but for $500 with a clean title, runs and drives, I couldn't pass it up. It's a 1989 Chevy single cab stepside 2WD with a 350/700r4, and a coach conversion interior. It's plenty rough around the edges but the body is pretty clean and rust free despite it needing a wash in the pictures. This may become the next project once this one is done.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:29 AM   #198
Nick_R_23

I tackled a few little things on here today. I got the filler neck welded up and installed, but I'll need to get another section of hose to connect to it. I also picked up one of those bicycle inner tubes and made the liner for the tailgate chains. It does make it look much better!

Old 04-19-2017, 08:46 PM   #199
jott_06
Camaro Club

The chains look good
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #200
Nick_R_23

Appreciate it, thanks for the idea too!

It's been a mostly uneventful week with the truck due to things really picking up at work and trying to tackle many of the other side projects I have going on and other ones that continue to pop up. However, I did pick up some new wheels on my daily driver. I wanted something a little bit more modern in size, and I love the fact that they make the truck look 10 years newer!

I also ended up (mostly) scrapping the idea I started on with the filler neck. The bend radius was too large, and no matter what I did I couldn't figure out a way to connect it to the tank that didn't require multiple fittings or being ran in a way I didn't like. I lopped off the piece of tubing I welded on initially, and picked up two more of the same diameter with much tighter bends. As a bonus, they don't have the cheapie looking crimp bends in them either!

I did have to trim the ends a little bit to get things to line up exactly the way I wanted, but I'm glad I started over - it came out a LOT cleaner this way! Everything tack welded in place:

Pulled out and fully welded on the bench

Gave it a shot of primer and paint

And here's the final fit! I'm very happy with how this one turned out. I even put in 5 gallons of fuel and no leaks!

I also got a call on Friday that my driveshaft is ready. I'll be picking it up Monday (tomorrow), and get that stuck in. That should be the last piece I need in order to fire this old girl up!