The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2009, 12:25 PM   #126
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Ya know Bill, If you want to fire up the engine, you don't have to have hardly any wires at all hooked up. Just put the battery in, hook up the starter and the hot lead to the distributor and use a remote starter switch. I'm getting close to that point. It may run for a few minutes through open headers, but I don't see anything wrong with that!

As for today, I volunteered to help with a bingo fundraiser at the park this afternoon, so my day is probably done with the truck. I got the steering column wiring figured out (I think) and soldered up a connector so it will plug into the harness. I got the column installed, no major issues there.

Kind of funny, I get the column in and I'm thinking to myself, "cool, now I got steering" Then realized I don't have the steering wheel on. And besides that, the one I want is not ordered yet. There goes another $100. This one is what I was using, but I don't like it. I'll be selling it as soon as my new one gets here.

I got the pulleys in, they look nice. I decided to just put a new internal regulated alternator in, so that's why it's not in yet. Probably next week. I bought one at the junkyard, it didn't work, go figure. At least it's returnable.
hgs_notes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 PM   #127
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Here's the wheel I'm going to use, Grant 967:

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-04-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #128
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Looks close to the same wheel I may be using. I don't think mine has the Chevy horn button. I got mine willed to me from Gman69 when he got a Corvette style wood wheel.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #129
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I've had this one picked out for a few years, just been waiting for the right time and money to buy it. I was going to order it today, but then thought about how much farther I have to go on this and all that sanding, overspray, etc. it will be exposed to and decided to wait.

You can get a bunch of different horn buttons for it.

Looks like I still have some time today so I guess I can finish cleaning/polishing the headers and get them in yet.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-04-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #130
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It seems I got the wrong headers. I could have swore when I looked them up it was the correct part number, but they are designed to fit 4x4's only, though they will fit a 2wd if the engine is mounted in the rearward position. The driver side header hits the crossmember and lower A arm bushing. Passenger side fits great. I have 2 choices on the headers. Either have a serious upgrade for my junkyard jimmy or resell them. I could probably make a profit. They are $360-370 from the big online sellers and brand new. I got them for a good price, so I'll decide later.

What's frustrating is that they would both fit great if my engine was mounted in the rearward mounting position. There would be plenty of clearance and you can see in the pics that they have outlets that are high and out of the way. I would have to shorten my driveshaft to use them though, not to mention all the work moving the mounts and tranny crossmember back a few inches.

Anyway, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. Here's the pics:
Passenger side fits-

Driver side, not so much-

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-05-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #131
1964C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Here's the wheel I'm going to use, Grant 967:
That was the steering wheel I was going to buy as well (still may) but after having seen a number of them at car shows on trucks I noticed there is quite a bit of difference between manufacturers some of them the metal strip that sits between the wood parts was much smaller then the wood leaving the sharp inner edge of the wood exposed and when I ran my hand over it like if I was letting the steering wheel slide in making a turn, it about cut my hand. Also the wood was centered correctly. Anyways, just my observation, might want to make sure to buy it from a company that would allow you to return/exchange it and not from fleebay.

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:45 PM   #132
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964C10 View Post
That was the steering wheel I was going to buy as well (still may) but after having seen a number of them at car shows on trucks I noticed there is quite a bit of difference between manufacturers some of them the metal strip that sits between the wood parts was much smaller then the wood leaving the sharp inner edge of the wood exposed and when I ran my hand over it like if I was letting the steering wheel slide in making a turn, it about cut my hand. Also the wood was centered correctly. Anyways, just my observation, might want to make sure to buy it from a company that would allow you to return/exchange it and not from fleebay.
Thanks for the info. I plan on getting it through summit or amazon.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:14 PM   #133
alexxwing

looks like that trucks coming together great
Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #134
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Two new things today, one truck related, one not. I'll start with the not.

I got a new bike:

Pretty tame I know, but significant none the less. I'm turning 42 this saturday and this is my gift. You see, this is the first new bike I have had since I was about 3 and got a trike. I still remember it. It was green. Some kids took it and broke off the handlebars. I was devastated. Every bike I have had since then was used. I don't think it really bothered me much except when my cousins came over when I was about 10 or 11 and they both had brand new huffy BMX bikes. Maybe you remember those black ones with the cool short oval shaped seat. Other than that time, I was always satisfied with my rebuilt bikes. All of them except the first 20" bike I did myself. Dad did the first one for me. It was cool. A schwinn with a mag tire and a huge front sprocket. That thing could fly. I mean that literally. I ended up with many scraped knees and digging dirt out of my palms.

Oh those sweet memories. May we never loose them.

I really like this one. Aluminum frame, comfortable seat, dual suspension, 7 speeds, rides smooth. $99 at walmart site to store.

Sorry about that. Anywho, got the new gas tank straps today and installed them. They are heavier than what I had. Both ends have nuts on threaded studs, so adjustable. I made a little step off piece for the driver side, so the strap installs more in line with the passenger side (remember that cross brace has an angle to it). I think it needs more adjustment. I might have to make some spacers to get it up high enough to snug it up to the bed. I have to remember to do the front ones first, because there will be no way to tighten those once the bed is on.

Hmm, just realized you can't see how I did that in the pic. The felt is in the way.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #135
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I am seriously back to considering painting this thing myself. I'm going to tackle some body work and spray the primer. If that fails, then pay someone to do it. If I succeed, who knows, a new profession...j/k. I'm going to start with some training DVD's. I've read plenty over the years. I need to see it happening. Wish me luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #136
nuke1

painting is not that bad, i did my first paint job however many years ago and that is what i do as a profession now, but the best thing to do is to take your time and go slow. it all works out in the end.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 AM   #137
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

It's not really the spraying that bothers me. I plan on buying a decent gun. Like a devilbis finish line or the new eastwood concours.

What I'm apprehensive about is the prep work. The big question is "will it be smooth flat and straight?" If I can do that, I'll be happy. I've seen good paint put on bad bodies...Ick, I don't want that.

I'll have questions, no doubt, but I'll go to the paint and body board for help on these issues.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-07-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #138
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I haven't worked on it much lately. Too many other obligations. I did start doing some filling on dents. I bought a set of spray guns. I've been looking into painting it myself. I bought a book and DVD on body work and paint. And I'm talking with a local body guy too.

But I had a set back today. I found a garage heater on craigslist. I'm trying to plan ahead for this winter. Come September everyone will be looking and make it hard to get a deal. Anyway, I went to look at it, a reznor 75,000 btu heater and got it for $220. When I picked it up to load into my car I ruptured my right biceps tendon. It's not even that heavy, maybe 75 pounds and not really a strain to lift. It just let go.

So now I'm in a sling and will probably have surgery next week. The good news is that the recovery time is not too long, about a month one doctor said. Kind of sucks though with the timing. Softball for my kids is coming to an end and I was going to find a little more free time. Now everything is delayed. Work, house repairs, playing with the truck, etc. I guess I'll have time to study my body repair and paint lessons.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #139
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Good luck for a quick healing. Yeah, we always seem to get hooked up with something that slows our truck progress down.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #140
seldomseen65
spirit rider66

Location: pahrump, nevada, in the bowels of the Mojave desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
I haven't worked on it much lately. Too many other obligations. I did start doing some filling on dents. I bought a set of spray guns. I've been looking into painting it myself. I bought a book and DVD on body work and paint. And I'm talking with a local body guy too.

But I had a set back today. I found a garage heater on craigslist. I'm trying to plan ahead for this winter. Come September everyone will be looking and make it hard to get a deal. Anyway, I went to look at it, a reznor 75,000 btu heater and got it for $220. When I picked it up to load into my car I ruptured my right biceps tendon. It's not even that heavy, maybe 75 pounds and not really a strain to lift. It just let go.

So now I'm in a sling and will probably have surgery next week. The good news is that the recovery time is not too long, about a month one doctor said. Kind of sucks though with the timing. Softball for my kids is coming to an end and I was going to find a little more free time. Now everything is delayed. Work, house repairs, playing with the truck, etc. I guess I'll have time to study my body repair and paint lessons.

hgs; take care of those hurts before you continue with the truck,,it will be around when you get better, your kids will love you for spending time with them,, i have to look forward to knee surgery next month and the truck is almost done, I've had it running but you know there are little things that have to be done before you are satisfied with your work on it .
and are able to drive it with a peace of mind ,, my wife is very adamant about my health right now,, so i'm out numbered by one who cares.
nuff said,, take care .
larry
Old 07-17-2009, 01:21 AM   #141
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Any info on your "adjustable track bar"? Did you just cut the factory one in two and thread it on each side? Got a part number or place where you bought the thing that joins them together?

Pretty good idea btw. After seeing what you did I am thinking of cutting the rivets out of the frame mount and adding a spacer so it drops down more and use your idea on the track bar.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #142
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
Any info on your "adjustable track bar"? Did you just cut the factory one in two and thread it on each side? Got a part number or place where you bought the thing that joins them together?

Pretty good idea btw. After seeing what you did I am thinking of cutting the rivets out of the frame mount and adding a spacer so it drops down more and use your idea on the track bar.
There is more info on it here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=347169

I took about 2" out of the bar. Had it threaded about 3" on each end. I bought the part through summitracing.com and they come in packs of 2. You can by the OEM style as singles and it should work just fine. The tie rod adjusters for our trucks will work, they are a fairly common size for many cars. When I didn't see my truck as an application for the edelbrock adjuster, I looked up the vehicles that the cheapest set did fit, then went to the napa site and looked up the OEM style part for that vehicle and found the specs there were the same diameter and thread count, just a fraction of an inch different in length.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #143
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Good luck for a quick healing. Yeah, we always seem to get hooked up with something that slows our truck progress down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen65 View Post
hgs; take care of those hurts before you continue with the truck,,it will be around when you get better, your kids will love you for spending time with them,, i have to look forward to knee surgery next month and the truck is almost done, I've had it running but you know there are little things that have to be done before you are satisfied with your work on it .
and are able to drive it with a peace of mind ,, my wife is very adamant about my health right now,, so i'm out numbered by one who cares.
nuff said,, take care .
larry
Thanks guys. I'll be alright. Seldomseen65, good luck with the knee. My wife works at a hospital, there is no shortage of mother henning around here.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #144
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A pic of my itty bit of progress
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #145
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Kind of sad seeing that my last update was mid-July. I was really making some great progress for a while to that point. Then I tore a biceps tendon and the next several months were a mess. I tore the muscle loading a heater for my garage into my car. I spent some time this fall finishing the insulating in the garage, and getting my heater installed. That was delayed almost 2 months waiting for a LP conversion kit from the mfr, then another week for the contractor to install it. I finally got the heater in and running just before Christmas. Then I was further distracted when I had to go pick up another parts blazer, which is sitting in my neighbors driveway. I needed to get a larger LP tank to really run it, and I finally got that yesterday. I let it run overnight at the lowest setting the thermostat will go, then turned it up this morning, got my work reports completed and headed out to my cozy garage. I've lived most of my life in MN and this is the first time I had a heated garage.

Anyway, the garage was kind of a mess, so some time was spent straightening things out and making room to work. Then I went to the parts store to get some supplies. My wife got me a nice set of sanding blocks for Christmas, but no paper. I needed some filler. I tried the stuff that is a non-mix, sun activated from bondo, but didn't like it. So I picked up some regular stuff and got to work. The first problem was I didn't mix enough hardener in it, so I scraped it off and tried again. The second try went alright. I sanded it down and needed to do a little more. I put another coat on and sanded it down with the 36 grit and I think I did ok. I would have tried spraying some primer, but didn't buy any yet.

I got a set of spray guns this summer and haven't tried them yet. One for primer, one for paint and a detail gun. I'm not even sure which primer to start with to tell the truth. Since the cab has some paint and primer on it, would I use an etching primer, an epoxy primer, or some kind of hybrid. Any tips are appreciated.

I'll post a pic later. I plan on working on this as much as I can this winter, with the hope that I can afford paint this summer and finally get it back together. I've already been set back half a year.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-06-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #146
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Started up the heater when I got home from work and laid some putty on the driver side rear of the cab. I was going to get the cab corner on the other day when I was working on it, but didn't have enough panel adhesive for the job. I'll be getting that in the morning. I want to get the cab corner on and the patch for the gas filler. I should be able to get the rough in work done on the back side of the cab and get it ready for primer over the weekend. Not sure what I'll do next though. Either work on the firewall, or start sanding the inside of the cab to prep it for primer.

It's about -15F outside right now. I shut off the heater at 7:00 and it was about 55F, now its at 35F. So a 20F drop in 4 hours under the worst of conditions. I'm good with that. I love my heater.

Pics:
This is the garage kind of cleaned up, a bit.

Passenger side, looks ok, took me about 4 times to get it "roughed" in.

First coat on driver side, my skills are improving.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-09-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:51 AM   #147
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Subscribed! Keep that heater blasting and get that thing on the road!

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #148
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not quite ready for primer, but getting there. I could really spray it and do all the body work after, but I feel more comfortable going this way. Anyway, I got my gas filler patch in and the cab corner on. The adhesive is taking a while to cure, so I decided to call it a day. I did some more shop clean up, trying to make it as easy as possible to set up for spraying. I got a couple rolls of plastic sheet to contain the overspray. I also bought my epoxy primer and mixers today, hoping to use it. The local Napa is the supplier, been working with these guys for years. They gave me about a 40% discount and all the extras I'll need to get started. Maybe next weekend I'll give it a shot. Won't be able to do much this week because of work, but who knows, I might get lucky.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #149
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Started doing more work yesterday and got the back of the cab pretty much roughed in for body work. The filler patch and cab corner are in with a layer of filler to smooth things out a bit. I started sanding or scuffing hte inside of the cab getting it ready for primer also. Don't think I'll do it this weekend, but it's coming along. It's nice that the weather is warmer than usual, the garage heats faster and uses less gas.

Pics:

Old 01-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #150
nuke1

Hey bud, how is it going, so far, i know all about the torn muscles, been there myself, i am gonna try to help you some with that mud work of yourself. give me a bit ok. Are you alright with criticism. I just wanna help. ok.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote