The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
crosby

steering box woes

I have an 05 K2500HD (gas) and to replace the pitman arm, I pulled the steering box. Trying to put it back on just now, I can't get the three bolts through the frame to tighten - there's about half an inch of slop on all three bolts and my big ass air gun won't move them, and nor will my breaker bar and all the alcohol in the world

I pulled the box back off and put them in by hand carefully, and it looks like the first few threads of the three bolts are eliminated/removed/flattened on purpose so you can line the box up when installing? But once the bolts start to poke through the other side of the threads on the box itself, they stop turning. I can't help but wonder if there's supposed to be a bracket, or sleeves, or something between the box and the inside of the frame? They came off pretty easily with my air gun

Thanks guys for any help you can provide - I don't mind taking a little heat if I can just get this figured out and on with my life, ha ha!

Last edited by crosby; 08-25-2018 at 03:21 PM.
crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: steering box woes

I believe there is an aftermarket support plate that strengthens the chassis outboard of the chassis. The bolts used with the plates are longer than standard bolts.

Measure the depth of the holes thru the chassis and compare to un-threaded length of the bolts...the un-threaded length of the bolt should be 1/4" shorter than the thru chassis measurement.

Is this a replacement box? Do the bolts thread all the way thru the threaded sections of the box?

BTW....you replaced the pitman arm due to sloppy steering ?

I have seen these long bolts used without the plates and cause sloppy steering as the box walks back and forward on the bolts...

Has anyone else had this apart before you?

You can space the bolts out from the chassis with washers...just make sure use use same number under each bolt head...the washers go direct under the head of the bolt...not between the box and chassis.

Last edited by AussieinNC; 08-25-2018 at 09:11 PM.
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #3
crosby

Thanks Aussie. It looks to be the original box. The truck has about 90k on it, and it still has the three groove pitman arm, which I understand when you buy a rebuilt box, only comes in four groove? There's plenty more thread and space, I am thinking maybe the threads are gunked up with all the crud that has accumulated over the years. Tomorrow I'm going to try and clean the bolts up as best I can and see if that helps. Thanks very much for the info!
Old 08-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
AussieinNC

If you have access to a wire buff wheel use that to clean out the threads on the bolts....make sure the threads in the box lugs are not cross threaded...and be careful you dont break a lug off being too heavy handed...
The bolts should hand thread in all the way...

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
crosby

Thanks guys, I ended up buying a reman box at Napa... hope it holds out okay.