The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
cerial

Ramp Truck Help

I bought a house which has room for 8 cars inside so I can start building and parting things as a business(eventually).
I have decided to build a 80's style ramp truck from the ground up over the next 2 years to pull cars from out of state.

Powertrain;
Stock 2002 5.3 to a 2wd sm465 to a divorced 3 speed Watson (brownie) for overdrive married to a 205 turning front and rear 4.56 14 bolt(14/50 in the front) spinning the 6 235 r16 tires and rims.

Suspension and brakes;
3 leafs per spring pack with a 2500lb air bag(bellows)over the center of the pack over the axle. The leafs will restrict the moment of the air bags keeping them vertical. Bags will be inflated using a height control valve for each bag. The rears will have a dump valve for easier loading.

Brakes will be good old hydro boost to some factory drums and large disk. I am going to use the c30 hardware that is rated for the 13,000 GVW trucks as well as having a rotor on the back of the 205 which will be both the mechanical parking brake and have a separate master/caliper which is only activated at 1/2 pedal. When the brake pedal is pushed past 1/2 pedal the caliper will close around the rotor giving me "assisted breaking" multiplied by the 4.56 axle ratio.

Body;
Standard cab with everything above the door handles remaining stock. Everything below those door handles will be modified to allow for rocker elimination, frame rails, larger tunnel, and storage under the seats. 72 in cab fuel tank is already being used.

I want to have the 15 degree 20' ramp have a hinge at the 11' behind the cab point so it can fold up onto itself using the winch eliminating both the issues with swing and storage.

Frame.
This is where things get fun. 6 to 8" .250 C channel (have the scrapyard looking for 8" ) not bent running right down the middle to the 11' point behind the cab where it is cut then is extended the rest of the ramp length. Of course the ramp will be shaped like a large triangle using 2x2 .120 and be triangulated throughout. Decking will be aluminum bolted over steel with a storage area on the side of the fixed part of the ramp as well as storage area between the runners.

I am figuring this thing will weigh around 7000 lbs and that brings up my issue. I want to pull other trucks with this truck for 1000 mile round trips. But as most of you have already figured towing a 7000lb truck on the back of a 7000lb truck may be a issue for that full floating 14 bolt.

Or maybe it is not a issue. But I do need that GVW rating in case I am pulled over.

The 14 bolts are readily available with that 4.56 ratio. But I just do not know if it will be enough or a rating for the officer to give this thing the GVW I want.

I have been playing with mating the brownie to the 205 for a while now off and on. Bought a house and that put things on hold. Settled in and now I want to start getting parts around. Have a majority of it around. 87 V10, 84 hydro boost lines and pump, transmissions and transfer case. I dont have the frame or axles at this point because I am unsure if I can get the rating with 14 bolts.

I really want this thing to be 4wd. I want to be able to grab that 71 out in the woods and winch it up onto the ramp then drive back to civilization.

As far as driving goes a majority of the time I see going 60-65mph in this with the .72 overdrive and keeping a nice amount of following distance. Mountains will not be in this things future. Mostly Michigan to Iowa with the Eastern Dakotas being the extreme.

Are the 14 bolts up to the task?
Should I be looking at a different axles all together?
Is the 4wd going to eliminate any chance of pulling a full size one ton or Heavy Hauler "parts" (like a coe cab) on the back of this thing?
Anyone ever built a ramp truck and had issues with the certified GVW of the thing?

I know some of you are going to say just use a trailer. Building one of these is on the bucket list. I just want to make sure before I go out and grab some axles that they are ones I can use.
1985 K20 Winter beater
1991 R30(squarebody) c/c flatbed towrig
1994 s10 80"wb custom build
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
cerial

Re: Ramp Truck Help

Talked with a DOT officer this morning. They do not establish the rating they will go off the established rating despite any improvements made during a build.

The only way to establish a new rating is to have a manufacturer or final manufacturer sign off (and be responsible for) the new rating.

I am better off starting with a 80's rollback or 60-90's 2 ton that has the rating established then installing the 5.3 into that for parts availablity over say a 302 v6 or NA diesel.

I will keep my eyes out over the summer while at estate auctions for when something comes up.
1985 K20 Winter beater
Old 03-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
C10 - C90 Bill

I tried raising my GVW once and they said the only way they would agree to it was to add a Tag or Pusher Axle to my 2-Ton truck.

If you need a high GVW, I would recommend starting off with one high enough from the start.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #4
cerial

I could see getting my hands on something out in a field or in the woods with nothing much left of the body and a seized drive train. Get the dry rotted tires moving to get the thing back to the shop.
Rebuild what I am hoping is a one speed rear axle with gearing around 4/1.
Cut and box the frame to get the wheelbase needed to have the ramp tilt onto itself at the 11' point.

Section some out of the body then channeling it a bit to have the roof end up around 7 feet off the ground so the thing can go into areas a normal pickup can. Of course I would build a floor and shorten a couple of things.

I want to have the thing be no more then 8' wide 7' tall and 20' long with the ramp up. I might have the ramp flatten over the roof while maintaining visibility out the back window for ease of backing up. That should allow it to fit into a normal garage and not take up my only RV stall saving that for tearing apart semi's and switchers.

Looking for a gvw of around 20k and something that I can still find glass for. Would love for it to be a old GMC or Chevy. But this girl will be going under the knife. One of those things I need to be paitient on.
I am not in a hurry to run out and lay down 3-5 into something I need to drop another 5 into parts and what I am guessing is going to be 300hrs of personal labor on. I will just keep an eye out and if something comes along I will eventually build it.

Give me time. You never find the things when your looking for them. I will update when I find something.
If it is a GM I will start a build thread on here.
1985 K20 Winter beater
Old 03-03-2020, 11:14 PM   #5
Pvmt-Pndr

I like your plan and idea. It sounds very simple. If I was you I would make the drive train your priority. Pulling 14k pounds in a 5.3 even geared low like you have planned isn't going to be a happy engine. That's actually one of the very last engines I would consider.

I would highly consider getting a newer ram with a Cummins and a G56 dually. Now that being said I don't know what your budget is but if you could find a cab and chassis truck you would be miles ahead. I don't recall the ratings but the AAM11.5 and I believe AAM9.5 are some solid axles followed by a stout drive train. Then from there all you would have to do is build your ramp.

If you want to stick with Chevy I get it. I just happen to not be brand loyal. I don't like the IFS, everyone I've had I've had problems with
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
cerial

Update;
After looking around for various rides. I was looking at a REO down the street, to a 72 ford 600(Body was gone it was going to get a c50 body) and then after I missed out on a topkick for 3k. I started looking at pickups.

It is a GVWR and insurance thing(Michigan has the highest rates).

I want to haul a full sized 3/4 to 2.5 ton (7000-9000lbs) back to the house for part outs or to build. I just can't do that with a ramp truck. Not in a cost effective way. Not saying I wont build a heavy hauler if I can get one cheap. But right now setting up what will eventually become a business I don't want to be dropping 10k into something when there are cheaper options that will perform the same task.

So I bought a 01 2500HD (9200lbs) that has had the transmission and transfer case rebuilt and 295k on the 6.0 with no signs of piston slap. It needs a couple grand thrown at it before it is going out of state. But for short runs she will make a good tow pig.
1985 K20 Winter beater