The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
nikwho

odd ball question, sure to anger some. Can you lower a 4wd Tahoe?

Aside from people not liking the idea or asking why, has anyone heard of lowering a 4wd Tahoe? My wife and I are looking to buy an '02 to '06 tahoe. Preferrably 4wd because we live in the snow. Could be 2wd because we will have an extra 4wd suburban(her current DD that we're not going to sell). Her and I both like the look of a slightly lowered tahoe with 20's. I'm curious if I could get the ride height of a 4wd to sit even just slightly lower than a stock 2wd Tahoe. Im confident that the rear will not be an issue. I'm worried more about the front. These years are all torsion bar vehicles, right? or am I wrong? Can they be adjusted down and still maintain good wheel alignment?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
nikwho

Re: odd ball question, sure to anger some. Can you lower a 4wd Tahoe?

Well, after a little google action, I found that McGaughy's makes a 2/3 or 2/4 lowering kit for 2001-2006 4wd Tahoes. I sure didn't think that it would be that easy! Has anyone had any experience with doing something like this?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
SkylineNXS

In my lookings, as i have a 2000 4wd sierra with torsion bars, you can use either lowering torsion keys or a lowering spindle in the front. thats about the only thing i think you can do to lower it without doing some major modifications.

BRAD

1966 C10 SWB Fleet, 250 I6, three on the tree....

Previously Owned....
1987 Chevy R10 "Silverado" (at least the badges were) Short Step 350 700r4....

1972 Chevy LWB Fleet 350/350

EXTENDED CAB ALL THE WAY!

.._..~...-...._...____
.._..-...______|_|__\____
..-..~.|_(O)__|_|__|_(O)]
SkylineNXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
kev2809
low n' slo

ive thought about this same thing with my 2002 tahoe 4wd. ive dropped just about every truck ive had but this one isnt my idea...the wife actually wants to drop it some. she says its a little too high to be getting in and out of.

with that being said, i also have a 98 4wd suburban, thats dropped. i bought drop keys for the front and turned them all the down, got about a 5 inch drop. rear was drop shackles and removed a leaf. ride is pretty bouncy but kept the stock shocks and didnt trim any bumpstops. alignment is really messed up though..i never took it to get aligned.

you can turn the stocks ones down some, but moving/replacing the keys will require an alignment.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

I've done it using a kit. It's pretty easy and the 99-06 2wd and 4wd essentially have the same suspension. We used a set of 2wd keys and rear springs to do it. Just align it afterwards and you are good to go.
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

Curiousity got to me so I tried it with my 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 a while back. I removed the stock 2" blocks on the rear. I looked at every parts store in town and online for shorter leaf spring U bolts. None were available so I used some large nuts for spacers temporarily with the stock U bolts. On to the front. I cranked the torsion bars down 7 rounds I think. It put the control arms on the bumpstops and still higher than the rear. It settled some more after driving. I got the 2 inches I wanted but it didn't ride good. You really need the 2 inch dropped spindles for a better drop with ride. I cannot see where replacing the keys are necessary when dropping a truck. Lifting yes but not lowering. There is plenty of adjustment there with the stock keys.
Anyway the 2 inch drop made entry and exit a bit easier. The wife didn't have as much trouble getting in. I drove it like this for 3 days and put it back to the stock configuration. It has the same suspension as our 97 K Burb but this truck outrides the Burb by far. Here are a few pics of the before and after.
There was a pic in another thread a while back I looked for but still cannot find of a member's 2000 to 2002 4wd Sierra or Silvy lowered big time. I couldn't believe you could get a 4wd that low. I won't be dropping this one again though I might buy shorter tires.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
classicchev

Definetly spindles in the front... a couple trucks up here are lowered, and look COOL!!!

If I could lower my Mega Cab, I probably would.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
torkerjr

I was thinking about this also.I am going to pull the axles and drive shaft also.If it will work that way.I have not done the research on this however.I do know some toyotas will not run with out movement of the front axle.It has a sensor on it.I hope my 2000 is not like this.

smoke
torkerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
biggsteve97

Quote:
Originally Posted by torkerjr View Post
I was thinking about this also.I am going to pull the axles and drive shaft also.If it will work that way.I have not done the research on this however.I do know some toyotas will not run with out movement of the front axle.It has a sensor on it.I hope my 2000 is not like this.
If you pull the front axle shafts and do not put the outer stub back into the hub assemblies they will FAIL. The stub holds the hub assembly together and keeps the preload on the bearings without the preload they will fly apart at speeds and the result is horrendous.
biggsteve97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Boog
laying low

I had forgotten about this thread and ran across it again.
I did go back and drop my 2000 GMC 2 inches a few months ago. I removed the 2" blocks in the rear and found some shorter ubolts @ the junkyard, cut the front bumpstops in half and cranked down the torsion bars until it leveled out. It still rides and drives great and doesn't bottom out, etc. Mainly it is more comfortable to get in and out of. Easier access to the crossbed tool box too. It still has the 285/16 rubber on it but in the next month or so I'll be buying new ones in the stock size of 265/16. That will drop it another inch or more.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
4x4toy

My 04 YukonXL 4x4 Quadrasteer is lowered, previous owner had it lowered some. Looks like he used extended shackles in the back and turned bars lower in front. I like it lowered some.
05 GMC Sierra 2500hd Duramax
4x4toy is offline   Reply With Quote