The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
LEEVON

2008 Tahoe Z71 Bank repo "Rehab"

I bought this Tahoe from a bank that my shop does business with fairly cheap. We check out their repos. Sometimes they need a quick fix to re-sell, sometimes they get scrapped and sometimes I buy them. I planned to re-sell this one but I like tinkering with it and I just kept it around. It's a good winter vehicle, plus it rides so nice and my daily driver is a 500hp Challenger (and I have three kids LOL).

It had 183K on the clock, and didn't look too great coming in. Nobody thought it would be a good buy. It was filthy and seemed neglected but I dug around it's ownership history a little and came to the conclusion that it probably lived a good life until near the end. Being driven on a gravel road, used as a rolling office, and letting maintenance items pile up made it all pretty sad but it had really good "bones" as they say. It appeared that the transmission had been replaced and the engine ran very very strong, with zero major leaks. Here is the list of things I did so far to bring her back from the dead:
  • new battery
  • re-seal oil cooler adapter gasket (small oil leak)
  • right front axle
  • right front wheel bearing
  • lower ball joints
  • front and rear rotors
  • front and rear ceramic pads
  • new kumho tires (ride soooo nice)
  • alignment
  • new spare tire/wheel (missing)
  • spark plugs
  • ignition wires
  • serpentine belts
  • replaced various bulbs
  • professional exterior detail/polish
  • ignition lock cylinder
  • new key fobs
  • new steering wheel (worn)
  • new HVAC control (worn)
  • power outlet cover
  • interior deep clean!

After all that I drove it around for a few weeks, got confident in her and took it on a family trip to Florida. I wanted to keep the miles off our other cars and see if there was anything else to shake out. I had two issues; in the hotter weather the A/C was lagging a little and the cruise control stopped working. No big deal, I can fix those...would not have found that out without a road trip. I don't know what it is about this Tahoe but it rides so nice on the highway. Smooth and quiet. If you jumped in this truck and drove it around and guessed the mileage, you would be shocked when I told you it's not sub 100k.

If I keep it around I would like to do the following:
  • dash replacement (cracks)
  • TBSS 22" polished replicas
  • 3/4 drop
  • Z71 de-clad
  • Roof rack delete
  • Tahoe SS front bumper cover
  • Tahoe SS side skirts

There is just something about bringing back this old horse that has been a lot of fun.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
LEEVON

Re: 2008 Tahoe Z71 Bank repo "Rehab"

I don't have any "before" exterior pics, but it was ugly. I took the whole interior out, power washed the carpet and thoroughly cleaned everything.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
Custom 68

Re: 2008 Tahoe Z71 Bank repo "Rehab"

nice find and a good looking rig.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote