The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
seattle gmc

Radio and Gauge cluster will not turn off.. need help

Started intermitently but now everytime I turn off the truck and pull the key from the ignition the radio and gauge cluster will not turn off when you open the door. This started a few months ago. I would like to fix this but i don't know where to start. luckily everything turns off after at set amount of time. Where do i start looking? Is there a switch some where behind door panel? Is it something witht the vehicle settings? My truck is a 2007 sliverado 1500HD classic.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500HD Classic
seattle gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
izzy_Britton

Re: Radio and Gauge cluster will not turn off.. need help

the driverside door latch has all the switches and stuff built into it. i think you pretty much have three options in my opinion.

first and easiest would be to get yourself some WD40 and spray the ever loving $#!^ out of the latch mechanism and hope that there was some water in there causing a short, the WD40 is mostly fish oil so it should displace the water if there is any and leave it oiled rather than watery wet.

second if that doesnt solve the problem. take the door panel off the door and make sure that there are no shorts in the wires where they may have rubbed on the door or any sharp edges. make sure that the plugs in the door latch are securely seated and not loose. if there seems to be no issues INSIDE the door, then the other place to check is the other end of the door wire harness where it plugs into the junction box. if you dont know the junction box is located in the driver side door jam, there is a cover that covers the fuse panel and inside the same fuse panel hole is where 2 or 3 fat multi wire plugs plug in. dont quote me on this particular detail, but i THINK the plug for the driver side door is GREY. i am not inside my truck so i am not for certain, but while your there make sure all your fat multi wire connectors are also firmly and securely seated.

failing that, the only other option i can recommend is to replace the driver door latch mechanism, which contains all the necessary switches and stuff for the door.

I would imagine that if the switch is the main issue, you are getting a door ajar warning on the instrument cluster?

this is where i would start.

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
seattle gmc

Thanks for the reply Izzy, when you say spray the latch mechanism you mean what i have in the attached picture? As in i can spray it from the out side? Or do i need to take the door panel off to and spray the entire mechanism?
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
izzy_Britton

Start with spraying liberal amounts of wd40 or similar product in the portion of the latch you have in the attached photograph. Open and shut your door a dozen or so times or just drive it around for a few days getting typical use out of it.

If that didn't do anything for you and your situation, take the door panel off and spray it from the inside, and check all the electrical connections at that time. And drive if for a few days again.

You sound like you have almost as much time as I do, gotta proceed in a calculated manor when it comes to this kinda stuff. LoL

-izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
seattle gmc

Yeah, i have exactly no time. It also dosen't help that this truck is my daily driver and i cant just have it in pieces out on the street for days or weeks. No garage either.

Ok in all honestly i have not sprayed that latch yet. A week ago i dimmed the dash lights with wheel switch back down where i like it, and the problem has not happened again, Yet..... But i wonder if the two things are connected?It might also be that its not as cold as it was a few weeks ago.