The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #1
Flying Hamster

Rear Bumpers...

Well the rear bumpers on these trucks don't live for long in the snowbelt. Instead of another junkyard bumper that will rot out in 2-3 years, I would like to get a step bumper like they make for the 73-87 trucks. Anyone know where I could get one that fits the 2006 trucks??? I do use the bumper for it's intended purpose (bumping ), so when the factory bumpers get rusted out, they end up bent into the body or up where the tailgate won't work.
Failing this, I haave to stop trusting "The force" for guidance when backing up. It is apparent that i will NOT be a Jedi...
Flying Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #2
Cape Codder

Re: Rear Bumpers...

I just replaced one with an aftermarket bumper for a customer. It was a duplicate of OEM not what you requested. It cost around $300.00 That comes out to $30.00 per year for a 10 year old truck. He not only lived on Cape Cod but used the truck to haul tons of bait for his lobster boat. Very extreme conditions. That said these bumpers are weak and bend easy right from the factory when brand new. If you want the heavier old style step side it looks like you may have to measure the frame width and find one that fits the same width frame. I would be very surprised it it wouldn't be easy to fit the old style bumper to your newer truck but using the brackets from the newer truck and welding or redrilling to fit the older bumper. I would start by measuring your frame width and the then asking on the 73-78 section for a frame width measurement.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote