The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
caspear1978

Frame repair kit

Any one know where i can find a frame repair kit for the rear of my 99 silverado. I was looking on rockauto a weekago and it showed it but out of stock. Look again tpday and days no item found. So im hoping i can still fine it for my truck. Planning on doing some major reworking pretty soon and would like to rrpait the shock supports for it while i have the box off.
caspear1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
KrazyRay

Re: Frame repair kit

What's wrong with the frame? Pictures?
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
caspear1978

the frame tube where the shock and the exhaust hanger is mounted. On the rear of the truck. Is rotted out pretty bad.The side where the hanger is at is rotted completely off the main frame. Im actually waiting for the shock mount side to rot off as well. If i can id like to get it fixed before that happens. And with me starting another job. Which ill have full access to a shop with all the tools and welders ill ever need. I think now would be a good time to get the parts and when i start the job soon. Ill be able to pull the truck in after work one day. pull the bed. Drop the tank. and fix the frame the correct way. The main frame over the left rear axle tube has a couple of cracks as well. But that will be an easy fix once the bed and tank are out of the way. My other option if i am not able to fix the frame if its to far gone is to find another truck and just transplant my engine and tranny into it. My engine only has 146k on it and the tranny has 10k on a rebuild. tcase i would have rebuilt as well at that time if i pulled it. front and rearend. i havent decided on yet. But I would like to tackle the frame first if its not to far gone. gotta love minnesota winters.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #4
izzy_Britton

Not to sound like Mister Obvious buuuuut....

if your new job will allow you access to fab tools like welders and such, WHY not just build your own rear crossmember? I would have to go look to make sure but if memory serves, that cross member is just a 3 inch(ish) round pipe that runs between the frame rails aint it? find out EXACTLY what the inside diameter of the pipe is and locate one that just slips inside, then cut the pipe off of the inside of the frame rails of your truck and weld the new cross pipe in place.....

then you could fab up your own shock mount or just cut the existing shock mount off of your existing tube and weld it on the new cross tube? The muffler mounts can be welded in place easy enough, you can buy new muffler/exhaust hanger mounts at just about any muffler shop.

and WHY do you need to drop your fuel tank?

you are talking about the cross bar at the rear of the truck BEHIND the rear axle right?

not the one that is AHEAD/IN FRONT OF the rear axle?

-Izzy
Project Delongdium - Step-Sons Plastic Clad 2003 Avalanche - DONE and Delivered.
izzy_Britton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
caspear1978

The reason for dropping the tank is due to a couple of cracks right over the left rear axle tube. And instead of having anything flamable around. Id rather not take the chance. Knowing my luck. I would set something on fire. I still have a flannel and a pair of shoes to show the proof .lol as far as fabbing up the crossmember you are correct. I would have the option to do it. But figured id go the replacement parts first. Seeing im having no luck. Fabbing up a new crossmember and mounts wont be hard at all. And with having all the tools ready. It will look close to stock. Ill jist have to measure the mount location befote i cut the tube out.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Flying Hamster

Mine crapped out in the same spot. We put in a tube out of a wrecked truck. cut existing out flush with the support bracket, cut new one to length, and put sleeves in before welding tube together and to the sleeves. Also added a couple drain holes and painted the new one inside. Still have to replace those stupid strut things that run from the frame to the steering crossmember since they rotted out from the inside as well.
Flying Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote