The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
72supermike

steering gear box question

Hello, I have a 2005 1500 4wd chevy crew cab short box truck. been dealing with some steering gear issues. I'm feeling a little bit of play in the steering wheel at center. About an inch of play. You can move it back and forth with a single finger that amount before you feel resistance and to where it will start to move the wheels. I recently put a new rebuilt steering gear on from Red Head Steering Gears and felt the same play. Been though all the checks of the steering components a few times. New pitman arm, idler arm, intermediate shaft, Etc. I ran some tests with a dial indicator on the steering gear with it in the truck and determined that I was moving the input shaft a small amount but the output, or sector shaft, wasn't conveying any movement. So I called Redhead and had them send me another gear. They were apprehensive because i think they get gears back all the time from people claiming play but get them back and test them and find none.

So I got the new steering gear in the mail, pulled the used one off my truck, and set them both on the bench next to each other. I took both gears and rotated the input shaft either direction and found and verified center. I then took my dial indicator and put it up against the end of the pitman arm to measure for play while using vise grips on the input shaft to created movement. I can wiggle the vise grips, moving the input shaft, yet not see any movement on the dial indicator that is against the pitman arm. I'm able to do this with both steering gears.

My question is: Am I testing this the right way? Do I need it hooked up to a power steering pump to accurately check for play? It's my understanding that the mechanical action of the worm gear, with the recirculating balls and moving of the sector shaft, should all be machined to a tolerance that there isn't any play between them. Is it true that there shouldn't be any play as you transfer the movement of the input shaft through the box and out the sector shaft? Shouldn't this be the same with or without the assist of power steering?

Thanks for helping me out with your replies.

here is a short video showing what I did and the results. This is the brand new rebuild I just pulled out of the box.

http://vid820.photobucket.com/albums...psfi9ibrjz.mp4

Last edited by 72supermike; 09-24-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added info
72supermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:07 AM   #2
72supermike

Re: steering gear box question

Is there a different forum thread I should put this in where someone might be able to help me?
72supermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
Jrainman

I am no expert on this subject but from I have seen that is adjusting the shaft to proper placement is very hard to achieve once the original is lost , also the Ball bearings that ride on the worm gear have 2 different diameters there is only a couple thousands between the 2 sets and they must go back in on the worm gear in a alternate fashion.
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
toolboxchev

That is interesting. Myself I have a early 70's era vehicle and after 10 years just replaced the gearbox under warranty for the 2nd time.

When sitting at park not under power I have about the same of 1 inch of steering wheel movement before the tire starts to move. This is one an old worn out set of idler arms and tie rod ends.

Maybe some more details would help such at the manufacture?, and what type of play it would have from the factory. These are not race car flinch the wheel type units. Mine has something like 3.9 turns to lock.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Bigdav160

Quote:
It's my understanding that the mechanical action of the worm gear, with the recirculating balls and moving of the sector shaft, should all be machined to a tolerance that there isn't any play between them. Is it true that there shouldn't be any play as you transfer the movement of the input shaft through the box and out the sector shaft?
I don't think it is possible to have no play. The input shaft moves the worm via slots. The worm has clearance between it's bearing and the case. There is clearance between the sector and rack. I am sure there is clearance between the balls, worm and gear.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote