The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #51
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Is it rediculous to just sit at a redlight?

I think I've seen a snake have one... (cause they hiss)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHYiyv68q2o
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #52
special-K
Special Order

I think "fit" is the key word here with "hissy" being a multiple choice selection to add color, drama, and/or flair. Plus, we're not allowed to say shi...cago!

But talk about machine controlling man. We have just that machine at our fingertips. They're controlling traffic lights, too, doncha know

Hey Paul, you haven't started a new thread lately. How about you start a you know what makes you aggravated thread? Do you think your device will allow it?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #53
davischevy

Gosh Tim, you got started on that hi tech, redneck rant in post #48, and I was beginning to think you weren't going to address my redlight question.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #54
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
If there is nobody around, common sense prevails and I roll through it.
Where is the like button?

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #55
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm in control when sitting at a jammed red light. I can leave the scene once I observe it is safe. Now, the being controlled by machine circumstance I hate more than anything comes from this thing I'm typing on sitting on my lap. Damn computers!! They get slow and you don't know if it's working on it or not. You tap a button again and it might serve to bungle things up more. I find myself asking "Am I even waiting for anything that will happen or is it waiting for me to try again?". I watch that little circular thing going round and round and have no idea if it's worth it or just turn the damn thing off (pull battery out). I feel so controlled by this doggone thing when it doesn't do what it's supposed to. Waiting a minute feels like forever. Man this thing can make me mad!

It's not just when it's slow and acting stupid. I guess it's Microsoft trying to force itself on me. I have settings that my computer routinely decides to ignore and do for me what it thinks I should want. My screensaver is set to be landscapes and it keeps changing to things I don't like. It asks if I like the picture and it should know by now if it isn't a damn landscape picture I don't want it! Right now it decided to be showing a football stadium full of people and after 5 times starting my computer it still hasn't asked if I like it. It will show the most beautiful scene, I'll like it, and that's the last I see of it after only seeing once. I use Firefox. It is set as my default browser and that's what comes up once I click on it. BUT... a freakin pop-up window is staring at me asking if I want Firefox to be my browser. IT ALREADY IS!!! You can't ignore it or you'll keep getting asked. So I go to settings, once again, and choose Firefox as my default browser after ignoring my list showing Microsoft asking if I want to reset to recommended Microsoft. NO, I DO NOT WANT THAT!! OK??? Once I set it to Firefox it tells me it is already set for all defaults. It's the computer trying to control how I go bout using it when there are options I have made my own decision to use...thank you!

I'll gladly sit at a dumb red light given the choice
Dang man! Machines controlling our lives. Making decisions for us.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #56
special-K
Special Order

Yep, what would you do?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...t=mozilla&tt=b

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-08-2017, 02:06 AM   #57
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I think "fit" is the key word here with "hissy" being a multiple choice selection to add color, drama, and/or flair. Plus, we're not allowed to say shi...cago!

But talk about machine controlling man. We have just that machine at our fingertips. They're controlling traffic lights, too, doncha know

Hey Paul, you haven't started a new thread lately. How about you start a you know what makes you aggravated thread? Do you think your device will allow it?
Yes. a hissy fit is a polite way of saying a "number two' fit. I'm trying to keep it clean.

If you want to see one. I can send my ex over and you can try to take away her credit cards. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

As far as a the what makes you aggravated thread. Be careful what you wish for. That's likely to be a long one.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #58
Andy4639
Old member

And everyone wonders what is wrong with our country! The responses on here are not what I had thought they would be.

I drive to work every morning and have 2 stop signs. I stop every time every day for them. No matter what time of day are night. That has nothing to do with it. I work nights late mornings.

What do you people tell your kids to do when nobody is around????

Yes it does matter and I bet all of you will say the same thing by your answers on this one. It's all about what you do in life not what you say. Sorry guy's but I don't agree with ya'll at all on this.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #59
leddzepp

He asked about red lights...NOT stop signs
I always stop at a stop sign, then proceed like I’m supposed to.
If I come to a red light, it stays red and doesn’t change, nobody is around, I go through it after a minute. If you continue to sit at that light, no other cars in sight, and don’t move no matter what simply because it is red, you are an idiot that cannot think for himself...and that is what is wrong with our country today.

Of course I make sure Roscoe and Cletus aren’t hiding around the corner before proceeding

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #60
special-K
Special Order

I don't know what the longest duration of a red light can be, but about 3 minutes seems to be the longest I've experienced (when working properly). That feels like forever. I mean, most songs on the radio last that long. So, let's create a margin and say 5 minutes and you can bet you're sweet behind that light is munged up. Laws are laws but I am willing to bet there isn't a judge in America who wouldn't pull off from a light that has stayed red for 5 minutes.

Oh and Andy, I wasn't going to say anything before, but it looks like I need to point out that in your chopper video you blew through at least two stop signs. It's ok, I'm not judging you or want to upset you. Just feel I need to say, as a friend, maybe you need to take a closer look at yourself. We all could use that from time to time

Tim

Old 11-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #61
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
He asked about red lights...NOT stop signs
I always stop at a stop sign, then proceed like I’m supposed to.
If I come to a red light, it stays red and doesn’t change, nobody is around, I go through it after a minute. If you continue to sit at that light, no other cars in sight, and don’t move no matter what simply because it is red, you are an idiot that cannot think for himself...and that is what is wrong with our country today.

Of course I make sure Roscoe and Cletus aren’t hiding around the corner before proceeding
I can just hear that old Moe and Joe truckin song playin “Roll Ooooooon Big Mama”

Old 11-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #62
davischevy

Andy, I let the chopper running the stop signs slide too.

I don't think anyone here is advocating reckless or unsafe driving.

I think leddzepp nailed it with his common sense comment.

Keith Seymore posted the stupid laws. As far as I know our town still has the law about stopping a motorized vehicle at the edge of town and someone leading the motorized vehicle on foot so as not to disturb the horses. I don't do that either.

Now I have an idea about another thread. It's not about cutting my dash either.

BTW leddzepp, I was coming home on hwy 65 from down south yesterday and the views were spectacular. Boog knows what I'm talking about. The color has been better, but it was still great, and not one stoplight between here and Marshall.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #63
mongocanfly
Post Whore

this happened to a 3 guys at work while sitting at a redlight...wound up being a total of 10 cars involved....the magnum was weaving in and out of traffic at a high speed...the guy in the chevy truck is at uab in the burn center...the guy in the f250 has a sore back....and another has burns on his arms from dragging the guy out of the chevy...the guy that caused it got out and ran.http://whnt.com/2017/11/07/multi-veh...cting-traffic/
Attached Images

mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #64
Killer Bee

Mongo, prayers for speedy recoveries for your co-workers and comfort to the burn victims.
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #65
davischevy

And thank God for the hero that dragged the guy out of the burning truck.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #66
Boog
laying low

Amen. Thanks for that guy.
As I get older I'm not in near the hurry I used to be. So I do get aggravated at how some of them act behind the wheel.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 PM   #67
special-K
Special Order

This thread sure got serious

Tim

Old 11-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #68
davischevy

It happened to me again this morning. I was driving down the main blvd. and approaching a light that stays green on the street I was on when there is little traffic. Just as I got there, a car tripped the light with a sensor on a side street.

I had time to think about this thread while I was sitting there.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #69
mongocanfly
Post Whore

well we just heard some good news...the guy in the burn center had his breathing tube removed and he's sitting up and talking...the guy that pulled him from the truck works with us also but didn't know who he was even after pulling him out and he looked up at him and said "hey Jamie"...fortunately Jamie is on our company esquad so he knew what to do until paramedics arrived....
on another note I've seen the guy in the magnum before....he's always driving like a idiot...its always one of those"where's a cop when you need one" moments......
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #70
davischevy

Too bad the guy in the Magnum can't trade places with the guy in the burn center.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #71
Boog
laying low

And a cruel reality is probably that the magnum guy didn't learn a damn thing about safe driving from this accident.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:26 AM   #72
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

This thread reminds me of when I was teaching my daughter to drive.

I asked her "What does a red light mean?

She said stop.

I said "No, it doesn't mean anything' Not to the other guy. And always watch the other guy even if you have the green. They may not stop.

No sooner had I said this when someone in a minivan blew a light right in front of us and she had to slam on the brakes. Hard. Which scared the crap out of me, since she only had a learners permit and very little time behind the wheel.

That was ten years ago, and she never has had an accident.

I guess she got the point.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #73
special-K
Special Order

My dad taught me that. I was driving and wheeled on through a green light and he brought to my attention you never just roll on through a green light, slow down, be prepared, and look to see that cross traffic is in fact stopping. I said,"But I had a green light". He said,"That doesn't matter when you're dead".

My first truck was a beautiful '72 SWB I bought in '73. In late-74 I was heading home late one night on a dual hwy with a few lights. The intersection was cut out of a hillside to my right, so couldn't see cross traffic back more than a few car lengths. I'm passing through and out of nowhere come headlights straight into my passenger side. Wham!! T-boned big time. I was ok but the truck was murdered.

Also, I have ridden motorcycles all my life. Way too many bikes get mowed over sitting at red lights...even greens that just changed. "I didn't see him" is not even an excuse, but that doesn't save your life. I always pull to the far right of the lane, stay in first, eyes in mirror, flicking my brake level to flash my tail lamp. I'm ready to haul ass to my right if I see someone coming too fast. I also pass through green lights with hands and feet at the controls ready to react. Red lights are great life savers but they can also kill innocent people obeying them. My niece was killed by a drunk at 6:30 in the morning while sitting at a red light.

In the end, no automated devise will protect you better than your own good judgement. There is no take for granted when it comes to safety.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-11-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #74
BugzC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Your on the road at 5 AM, and you are in the only vehicle in site in any direction.

The light changes to red just as you approach. You stop and sit there for no reason, except the light is red.

You look in your mirror, no vehicle in site. You look left and right, and in front, no vehicles.

Why are you sitting there? If it was a red octagonal sign, you would be free to go, but it's a light, so you sit there.

After what seems like an eternity, the light changes, and you are free to go.

Does anybody else feel ridiculous sitting there?
I use to have the same thing happen, but it was 3-4 am. Happened every morning it seemed. I happen to tell my neighbor who was a Deputy Sheriff. The next morning I pull up to the light and sat there for a moment, looked to my right and there sits my neighbor in his patrol car tucked beside a building. I laughed, gave him a wave, light turned green and I went one my way. I'm glad I looked right, because I was considering running that light...
Old 11-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #75
davischevy

The scary part is, I have run a couple of red lights in my time. I get light headed when I realize what I have done.

I never take for granted the cross traffic is going to stop either.

WE have I guy in the neighborhood that is terrorizing the streets lately. He has wrecked his mothers Corvette and his dad's truck in the last two weeks. He is going to hurt someone if they don't figure a way to stop him. He ran a stop sign a quarter mile down the road last week and did a Dukes of Hazzard across the main four lane highway.