The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
cjlinkster

Had a QuadraJet issue today

I recently rebuilt my quadrajet carb (I have rebuilt this kind of carb before in the past). Moreover, I have driven the truck on a couple of short trips (less than 10 miles), and the truck runs like a dream. Also cranks on the first turn of the key.

So when my neighbor asked me if I would help pick up some furniture in the next town over (about 30 miles each way), I said that I would help. The truck drove great over to the next town (it was around 1:00pm and around 85 degrees). I needed some pull down straps, so I stopped by walmart.

Some 40 minutes later (after buying the straps); when I went the crank the truck, it acted like it was flooded! I didn't pump the peddle of anything that would have caused the condition, but I could not get it to start. After a few attempts, my battery was getting weak, so I flagged down someone with jumper cables.

I basically had to hold the peddle to the floor (just like it had flooded) to get the truck to finally start. The truck drove good on the way back home (30miles).

Any suggestions? I am wondering if I perhaps, I have the choke set to rich. It doesn't seem too rich. I know that someone is going to say that it is the bottom plugs leaking, the bottom plugs looked fine during the rebuild. I did put some epoxy on them just to be sure.

carb m4mc

Last edited by cjlinkster; 09-11-2011 at 08:43 PM.
cjlinkster is offline   Reply With Quote