The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
1980chevy4x4
Got Mud?

Tool Chest help?

Im looking for a nice 10-15 door tool chest. What do you guys have? I dont wanna spend more than $250ish for it. Any susgestions?

Got mud?
1980chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
70c10
67-72 Addict!

I would check Sears for some deals. I have a Craftsman 2 piece unit and love it. I'm planning on adding another one or two when my garage is completed.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

yeah, check Sears, TOMORROW... good deals.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i bought sears too i have the second level there are like three or four levels of quality and the second level is red with the grey drawers and its been fine i have it for maybe seven years and i love it also ask them if they have any that have scratches i was able to buy flor models at a clearance center and they didnt have the keys and i got a substantial discount then i went to the hardware place for sears and showed them the receipt for the purchase and gave them the code fromt he lock cylinder and they mailed the keys to my house for free! i got a $1000 roll away for less than $550

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #5
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I should have done the Craftsman route. I instead paid too much money for a Snap-On roll around tomali cart. I would try Sears or see what Harbour Freight has. Also, keep your eyes pealed to your local classified ads, it is near Christmas and some one might be selling cheap.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 04:08 PM   #6
junkyardjohn

DON'T BE IN A BIG HURRY. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN IN THE PAWN SHOPS & IN THE PAPER. I'VE GOT 5 SNAP-ON BOXES (2 ROLL-A-WAYS,2 TOP BOXES, & A SIDE BOX) & I DON'T THINK I PAID MORE THAN $250 FOR ANY OF THEM. (ONE OF THE ROLL-A-WAYS COSTS OVER $5500 IN THE SNAPPY CATALOG) THERE ARE SOME REEL BARGAINS TO BE FOUND, IF YOU JUST TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 05:49 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I made my post earlier and lo and behold the old lady hands me the paper and smack dab in the middle is an ad from sears. Here therye having a sale fri and sat 11/28-9 on one of their tool cabinets they have a black on black one that is $279.95 its the 8 drawer chest on a 5 drawer cabinet and its sku number 9-65604/50 and with that they give ya a free three drawer intermediate chest 9-65604/5 or maybe number 9-65130)
alledgedly the 8 drawer chest is usually $179.96 and is on sale for $129.96 and the base usually sells for $219.99 but is on sale for $149.99 the intermediate cabinet is usually $119.99 but is free when ya buy the other two. alledgedly its the lowest price ever hope that helps your decision

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 01:16 AM   #8
cableguy0

im guessing you dont work as a mechanic just doing stuff in your own garage or you probably wouldnt have to ask this question but if your only going to be using it occasionally get a cracksmen box and that will be just fine. but if your using it every day for your job go with snap on they are a lot heavier made the sliders are better but you get what you pay for and most people cant justify 10 grand for a top and bottom box. so go to sears or check your local pawn shops like most people said you can get good deals. mechanics do drugs too and if they need quick cash guess what is sold first
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 04:44 PM   #9
1980chevy4x4
Got Mud?

Thanks for the replys guys. I found one i liked..

Got mud?
1980chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:07 PM   #10
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

4 words

"Ball bearing drawer glides"
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 06:19 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I fully agree with Deland. Make absolutely sure it has ball bearing glides. I have the Craftsman boxes. I wouldn't have one without the bearings. They will wear out real quick and the drawers start hanging up.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 04:37 AM   #12
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by junkyardjohn
DON'T BE IN A BIG HURRY. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN IN THE PAWN SHOPS & IN THE PAPER. I'VE GOT 5 SNAP-ON BOXES (2 ROLL-A-WAYS,2 TOP BOXES, & A SIDE BOX) & I DON'T THINK I PAID MORE THAN $250 FOR ANY OF THEM. (ONE OF THE ROLL-A-WAYS COSTS OVER $5500 IN THE SNAPPY CATALOG) THERE ARE SOME REEL BARGAINS TO BE FOUND, IF YOU JUST TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK.
I agree, I have owned alot of boxes and Snap-On and MAC are good to impress your friends, but they will store your tools just as well as a Craftsman box for a quarter of the price. Now as far as tools go ---- that requires another thread. LOL

Shawn
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 01:49 PM   #13
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

it is going to be hard to find something for $250.00 that has that many drawers. The stuff in the pawn shops are usually hot or worn out and the stuff in the paper is way too much IMO. Save your money get somthing new.......
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:46 PM   #14
junkyardjohn

Talking

(QUOTE)it is going to be hard to find something for $250.00 that has that many drawers. The stuff in the pawn shops are usually hot or worn out and the stuff in the paper is way too much IMO. Save your money get somthing new.......(QUOTE)

& WE ALL KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPINIONS
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:14 PM   #15
casey

checked all around today, for tool chests, and concluded Sears is the place to go, they had everyone beat, I even tried junkyardjohns idea and checked a few pawn shops, but no luck charlie, my bottom cabinet is called Beach anyone have one of those I got it from costco a few yrs back, I need a top set, sears had a 10 drawer on for 169.00+ tax that was the best price around, my little town, the closest to that was 259.00+tax

Last edited by casey; 11-29-2003 at 08:48 PM.
casey is offline   Reply With Quote